6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 78

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by AmandaByNight »

Awwww, it's been years since I've seen this episode, but I am a HUGE Lee Purcell fan and I remember liking her in this episode. She is ageless, btw. Check out her Facebook page.

I don't have much to say, because it's been awhile, but this episode reminds me of a great Riptide episode about a marine biologist whom Boz falls for, but she goes for the Joe Penny character. There are some hilarious and great moments in there. Dolphins were all the rage in the 80s!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#32 Post by Styles Bitchley »

AmandaByNight wrote:Awwww, it's been years since I've seen this episode, but I am a HUGE Lee Purcell fan and I remember liking her in this episode. She is ageless, btw. Check out her Facebook page.
I always love to hear about the targets of your fandom Amanda! I mean, who else but you would identify as a "huge Lee Purcell fan?" I love it!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#33 Post by rubber chicken »

Actually, I'm a big fan of Lee Purcell myself, ever since seeing Valley Girl. :)

I too enjoy your comments Amanada, and your blog. This is off topic, but I watched The Girl Most Likely to... after reading about it on your blog and really had a fun time. What a little treasure! Before that I saw Moving Target. And just recently I watched Cocaine: One Man's Seduction, with Dennis Weaver from Magnum P.I.'s Let Me Hear the Music. That was very good too. I've also seen Murder Is Easy with Bill Bixby of Incredible Hulk fame, but it seems you haven't mentioned that one on your blog yet (gasp!). I wish Netflix carried more old TV movies. They're often hard to find, and I don't have a way to comfortably watch movies online. Anyways, keep up the great work!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by AmandaByNight »

Hey Styles and Rubber Chicken!

I had no idea my fandom squealings reached so far! :) The comments made me smile. Thanks!

And thanks so much RC for checking out my blog. I have not seen Murder is Easy, nor have I heard of it! It's on the list! I actually still haven't seen Moving Target yet, but I have a copy. Thank you for reminding me about it... I do love Jack Wagner. It's true!

I do really like Lee, and yes, she was so good in Valley Girl. She was in this TV movie called Summer of Fear (aka Stranger in Our House) only a few years before Valley Girl and she played a teenager. How funny was it for me to see her as someone's mom in VG? Wow.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#35 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks Amanda, I've saved Stranger in Our House on Netflix in case it's ever made available there.

I also enjoyed seeing Lee Purcell in The Rockford Files' episode The Dexter Crisis (available to view online). She isn't the main co-star however, and it was a bit difficult for me to even recognize her at first. I loved Big Wednesday when I saw it maybe five years ago, but now I can't even picture her in the movie. I've seen her in various other TV shows, and I'm looking forward to seeing her appearances in Hawaii Five-O (1976 & 77).

Funny that she played a teenager when she was about 30 years old. If it was eight years later she could have hooked up with Alan Ruck from Ferris Bueller's Day Off who was 30 when he played Cameron Frye. :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#36 Post by Styles Bitchley »

rubber chicken wrote:Funny that she played a teenager when she was about 30 years old. If it was eight years later she could have hooked up with Alan Ruck from Ferris Bueller's Day Off who was 30 when he played Cameron Frye. :)
...or the cast of Beverly Hills 90210!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#37 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:I loved Big Wednesday when I saw it maybe five years ago, but now I can't even picture her in the movie.

She was also in Mr. Majestyk with Bronson. That makes her ok in my book. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by No need to know! »

J.J. Walters wrote:
rubber chicken wrote:I loved Big Wednesday when I saw it maybe five years ago, but now I can't even picture her in the movie.

Great movie.
Onion´s extra?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#39 Post by rubber chicken »

Ahh, there she is! I've also seen Mr. Majestyk, but that was closer to 10 years ago so I can't picture her in that movie either. Guess I'll just have to see both Big Wednesday and Mr. Majestyk again. :)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#40 Post by Pahonu »

No need to know! wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:

Great movie.
Agreed!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by AmandaByNight »

I've never seen either Big Wednesday or Mr. Majestyk, but it's funny to see that Jan Michael Vincent was in The Mechanic with Bronson as well (excellent film). I guess Lee and Jan switched off there! Pretty neat. I'm a huge Bronson fan, so I don't know why I haven't seen it yet.

Tuan Vu
Captain

#42 Post by Tuan Vu »

I actually like this episode for a few reasons:

1. The philosophical debates concerning living for causes; animal rights; corrupt governments paying no attention to starving people; the Vietnam war. It slowed the episode down, but gave food for thought.

2. Seeing Brock Peters (who played Tom Robinson on To Kill A Mockingbird; my favorite movie) playing the part of President Kole. He was also on the Young and Restless for many years.

3. Seeing a young Michael W. Perry (who still has the #1 radio show in the mornings here in Hawaii) playing a small part as the reporter interviewing Mr. Wanda. Today Michael W. Perry's hair is completely white: http://saturdaybriefing.outrigger.com/w ... rice-2.jpg

One minor flub (if you can call it that) is the subtitles say that "Gloria" is speaking when Goldie is trying to warn the President about the danger on the ship.

The one thing I didn't like was that it seemed the bad guys never got caught. Well, I guess not all episodes need to be wrapped up neatly.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

Magnum Meets...Wonder Woman??

#43 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Okay...I don't know if this has been mentioned before (as I did not take the time to read all of the previous comments/reviews), but I doubt it has.

But, for those who are fans of and/or have watched episodes of the popular 1970's Superhero series "Wonder Woman" (starring Lynda Carter)...you will recall an episode during last season called "The Deadly Dolphin" (1978).

This episode of "Magnum" is almost identical to the "Wonder Woman" episode! :o In "Wonder Woman" there's this trained dolphin that is kidnapped to use to blow up a boat...complete with the bomb being strapped to the dolphin and it might be killed during the operation. Wonder Woman of course swims in the ocean to try and help save the dolphin...Magnum and T.C. swim to try and find the dolphin in this episode! Maybe all dolphins sound the same...but even some of the noises and "talkings" the dolphin makes in this "Magnum" episode are identical, and sound like the exact same ones, used in the "Wonder Woman" episode.

Of course at the end of "Wonder Woman" the dolphin is saved and the bad guys caught..."Magnum" follows suit! I swear the writers of this "Magnum" episode literally stole the script/plot idea of the "Wonder Woman" episode!

Other than that, this "Magnum" episode is kind of silly, over-the-top, and annoying! :? After the superb 2-part premiere "Deja Vu"..."Old Acquaintance" was kind of a disappointment. :(
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Tuan Vu
Captain

#44 Post by Tuan Vu »

MaiTaiMan,

Not only was there a "Wonder Woman" episode with the same plot, but also there was a movie back in the 1970s -- "Day of the Dolphin" -- in which dolphins were kidnapped by an extremist group to use them to assassinate the President of the United States.
:shock: :shock:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Magnum Meets...Wonder Woman??

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

MaiTaiMan wrote:But, for those who are fans of and/or have watched episodes of the popular 1970's Superhero series "Wonder Woman" (starring Lynda Carter)...you will recall an episode during last season called "The Deadly Dolphin" (1978).
LMAO!! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!