1%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 89

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Who is Don Luis Higgins? .... (6.19)

#76 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:Apparently Over the Line was quite the thing in that era! https://youtu.be/8HhHEqHyq7c
That’s down in San Diego and they still hold the tournament, well maybe not at the moment. I went once with some buddies in college back in the early 90’s. I also used to play it a lot in the 80’s and 90’s. You only need four people to play. That’s the beauty of it. It didn’t need a lot of organization to play ball, plus in college it involved coolers of beer! :D Same coolers for the tournament, players and fans.
We lived in Coronado when I was little in the mid 70s. Grew up in Orange County. I still never heard of this game. :lol:

It doesn’t seem like something you’d be likely to injure yourself doing, but who knows?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#77 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:Apparently Over the Line was quite the thing in that era! https://youtu.be/8HhHEqHyq7c
That’s down in San Diego and they still hold the tournament, well maybe not at the moment. I went once with some buddies in college back in the early 90’s. I also used to play it a lot in the 80’s and 90’s. You only need four people to play. That’s the beauty of it. It didn’t need a lot of organization to play ball, plus in college it involved coolers of beer! :D Same coolers for the tournament, players and fans.
We lived in Coronado when I was little in the mid 70s. Grew up in Orange County. I still never heard of this game. :lol:

It doesn’t seem like something you’d be likely to injure yourself doing, but who knows?
Nice! Coronado is beautiful. I have a friend stationed at North Island. He’s an officer attached to one of the carriers stationed there, in logistics. He lives up by Balboa Park near the golf course.

Where in Orange Country were you? I’m at the southeast end of Long Beach right next to the county line and Seal Beach.

If you weren’t into baseball I can see how you never heard of it. There are other baseball related games like pickle and stick ball.

I guess you could strain a muscle from batting so often, but it isn’t high impact! :lol:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by K Hale »

I am in fact familiar with baseball. I was big into the Braves on TBS in the ‘90s, watched all their games, made my own score cards and taught myself to score games pitch by pitch, read a lot of baseball history books, saw the Dodgers and Angels play live, collected baseball cards etc. I am a terrible athlete but am familiar with pickle and stickball. I even understand the infield fly rule. And with all this, I still have NEVER heard of over the line! LOL!
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu

#79 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:I am in fact familiar with baseball. I was big into the Braves on TBS in the ‘90s, watched all their games, made my own score cards and taught myself to score games pitch by pitch, read a lot of baseball history books, saw the Dodgers and Angels play live, collected baseball cards etc. I am a terrible athlete but am familiar with pickle and stickball. I even understand the infield fly rule. And with all this, I still have NEVER heard of over the line! LOL!
Long story short: I hate the Braves! Well, really the early 90’s Braves. :lol: I’m a lifelong Pirates fan, I won’t explain, going back to my childhood in the 70’s. They won the NL East three years in a row, 90-92, and in the last two were eliminated in gave 7 by the Braves. In 92 it was in the bottom of the 9th. Sid Bream was out and Francisco Cabrera is dead to me! :lol: I was so happy the Twins beat them in 91 and the Jays beat them in 92.

Seriously though, if you didn’t play the game competitively, I can see how you might not know about some of these related games. I remember in high school playing one on one over the line with fungos with my teammates. We were stupid competitive! That’s not in anyway being disrespectful, but following a sport is different from competing in it. I follow several sports I’ve never participated in. I’m sure there’s a lot of inside stuff I don’t know about.

I played college basketball, and we had plenty of little games like that we’d play to compete with each other. Beyond horse, we used to play two-dribble one on one, UConn for points, around the horn threes, and other games. You could play them with just a few guys or even just two. Lots of them were drills, like UConn which was a rebounding drill, that we made competitive. I think the competitiveness just drives athletes to makeup all kinds of games like that. They probably seem a bit strange to others but they were about competing and improving skills. Occasionally l’ll talk to someone who played the same sport and we laugh at the dumb stuff we competed at.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by K Hale »

Believe me, I’m well aware there’s a difference between playing a sport and following it. That’s the whole point of why I didn’t play the sport. :lol: :lol: :lol: Aside from being forced to at school, of course.

I still think it’s very strange that I somehow missed the entire existence of this, since I’m certainly familiar with the other variations and offshoots that have been played, documented, and photographed throughout history. I literally never heard or saw anyone else playing or talking about this in all my life. Other than that one mention in Don Luis. Ah well, I know now!
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Nice! Coronado is beautiful. I have a friend stationed at North Island. He’s an officer attached to one of the carriers stationed there, in logistics. He lives up by Balboa Park near the golf course.
Where in Orange Country were you? I’m at the southeast end of Long Beach right next to the county line and Seal Beach.
If you weren’t into baseball I can see how you never heard of it. There are other baseball related games like pickle and stick ball.
I guess you could strain a muscle from batting so often, but it isn’t high impact! :lol:
I was in San Diego once, I liked the city and the people and attended a Padres - Mets game.
However I will never forget that the entire city welched on a bet after the Yankees swept the Padres in the 1998 World Series.
San Diego was supposed to hang a pinstriped NY Yankees banner off the Coronado Bridge if they lost which they did in 4 games.
Bad decision on their part not to honor a gentlemen's agreement, it would have been one day of embarrassment versus 22 years
and counting of dishonor. Call it the Curse of the Coronado, the Padres will never win a World Series till they hang up the Yankee
banner. The Curse of the Bambino lasted 86 years, so San Diego can look forward to it's first championship sometime around 2084.

-------------------------------------------------------------
James Drury:
“If it's not true don’t say it. If it's not yours don’t take it and if it’s not right don’t do it.”

Pahonu

#82 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:Believe me, I’m well aware there’s a difference between playing a sport and following it. That’s the whole point of why I didn’t play the sport. :lol: :lol: :lol: Aside from being forced to at school, of course.

I still think it’s very strange that I somehow missed the entire existence of this, since I’m certainly familiar with the other variations and offshoots that have been played, documented, and photographed throughout history. I literally never heard or saw anyone else playing or talking about this in all my life. Other than that one mention in Don Luis. Ah well, I know now!
You do know now and that’s what counts. :D Hey, everybody’s experience is different. I’ve definitely had those moments, particularly pointed out by my wife for some reason, when I’ve thought how did I miss that?!?!? There is some irony in that you lived in San Diego for a while and missed it. I looked it up and it it’s actually an international event now! San Diego seems to be the center of the over the line world! I didn’t know this. :shock:

Pahonu

#83 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

I was in San Diego once, I liked the city and the people and attended a Padres - Mets game.
However I will never forget that the entire city welched on a bet after the Yankees swept the Padres in the 1998 World Series.
San Diego was supposed to hang a pinstriped NY Yankees banner off the Coronado Bridge if they lost which they did in 4 games.
Bad decision on their part not to honor a gentlemen's agreement, it would have been one day of embarrassment versus 22 years
and counting of dishonor. Call it the Curse of the Coronado, the Padres will never win a World Series till they hang up the Yankee
banner. The Curse of the Bambino lasted 86 years, so San Diego can look forward to it's first championship sometime around 2084.

-------------------------------------------------------------
James Drury:
“If it's not true don’t say it. If it's not yours don’t take it and if it’s not right don’t do it.”
I have no comment on the Padres/Yankees series as a Pirates fan other than to relish the 60 Series where the Bucs were outscored dramatically by the Yanks and still won. I was there at the Forbes Field wall in the fall of 2010 on the 50th anniversary listening to the radio call of Maz cranking it out for the win. What an experience with all the former Bucs there! I just wished Willie Stargell was still alive at the time. He was my favorite player as a boy and a real hero of mine as grew older. I saw him play in the first big league game I ever went to in Pittsburgh and became a fan from that moment.

lemnefresh
Ensign

#84 Post by lemnefresh »

A little late, but I'm just now getting into this show. I just watched this episode. At the beginning, they are supposed to be in South America. If you listen to the accents of the king/president and his daughter, they use the "theta" that is only used in Spain (they say gracias like grathias).
Last edited by lemnefresh on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by K Hale »

lemnefresh wrote:A little late, but I'm just now getting into this show. I just watched this episode. At the beginning, they are supposed to be in South America. If you listen to the accents of the king and his daughter, they use the "theta" that is only used in Spain (they say gracias like grathias).
Welcome! There’s a welcome wagon thread if you want to introduce yourself. :D
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

lemnefresh
Ensign

#86 Post by lemnefresh »

K Hale wrote:Welcome! There’s a welcome wagon thread if you want to introduce yourself. :D
On my way

mcballs
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#87 Post by mcballs »

I absolutely love that you guys took the time to map out their chess game... *tear drops* im home

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#88 Post by nha trang »

Is it just me or does Hillerman's accent on the roof carry a wee bit of Father Paddy Mcguiness before he calibrates it to Don Luis Espanol on-the-fly?

A silly 7.5 for me :magnum:

Nha Trang

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by ENSHealy »

K Hale wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:29 pm It doesn’t seem like something you’d be likely to injure yourself doing, but who knows?
I watched the video you posted, and it looks like the players fielding may have to run a bit, and you can always pull a hammy running, even on your first step. To me it looked like he was walking/jogging like a man with a pulled hamstring. IRL he probably did it playing volleyball for Outriggers Canoe Club.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by ENSHealy »

nha trang wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:21 pm Is it just me or does Hillerman's accent on the roof carry a wee bit of Father Paddy Mcguiness before he calibrates it to Don Luis Espanol on-the-fly?

A silly 7.5 for me :magnum:

Nha Trang
Definitely, he goes brogue with "show yourself, if you're a man": https://vimeo.com/641919775
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."