A Little Bit of Luck, A Little Bit of Grief (6.20)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the sixth season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
4%
8.5 (Very Good)
10%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
14%
7.5 (Decent)
32%
7.0 (Average at Best)
21%
6.5 (Not So Good)
8%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 71

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: A Little Bit of Luck, A Little Bit of Grief (6.20)

#31 Post by K Hale »

Mediocre. This kind of took Rick's reputation as a gullible flake and took it WAY over the top. The guy managed a large, prestigious club for years. He can't be THAT gullible/careless/irresponsible.

Surprised that Forsyth would call Manetti a miserable bugger.

Ep saved by appearance of Icepick and by JQH conducting Beethoven on the stereo. In some ways he reminds me of Snoopy...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#32 Post by marlboro »

^Yeah, I think the characterization of Rick and TC in the later seasons was a bit off. Rick became comic relief all too often, and TC became a semi saint.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by K Hale »

Someone called TC "Father Flanagan." LOL
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#34 Post by brianw »

I can't rate this one because I don't remember it, and also I missed most of it yesterday, I was mopping floors while it was on. It really didn't hold my interest, obviously.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#35 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Tuan Vu wrote:... I didn't quite understand the part about Blair Boyer being Dennis Mackenzie and what that had to do with anything and why Rick went into his office in the first place...
Hi Tuan Vu,
You asked the above question in 2011 and nobody has as yet responded. Well here it is 2019 and I just viewed this episode on COZI-TV and I have the same question.
The scene made no sense to me.
In fact just who was this "Blair Boyer" character?
I never saw him - unless I am mistaken - in this episode till he showed up at the end and is revealed as Mackenzie.
Is this another case of poor editing on COZI-TV's part, Boyer's earlier scene cut out?
The character wasn't listed in the Magnum Mania credits/story line nor in IMBd when I looked him up.
(I enjoy COZI but they butcher some series like Adam-12, inserting commercials not in the natural breaks as it was originally presented but in the middle of dramatic
scenes and reducing the effectiveness of the writing. As well as cutting out much of the patter between the two leads which was a large part of it's charm)
I have another question, by any chance is that the nightclub legend Bobby Short in a unbilled bit as the piano player in the bar who Rick tips?
I thought the following scene in this episode was very funny, as I was at the reopening of the Statue of Liberty in 1986 and there was a number of
Tom Selleck lookalikes in the crowd harborside. What happened was there had been a Gay pride parade that morning to take advantage of all the media there
and apparently there was a Magnum Drill Team contingent, all sporting big mustaches even the chicks.
I thought of that during this scene when Magnum and TC try to save the baseball field for TC's team -
Magnum: "What if we rent the (baseball) lot?"
Dailey, in fey, mincing voice: "Okay...5 grand a month."
Magnum: "Come on!"
Dailey: "Sell your Ferrari."
Cop: "It's not his Ferrari."
Dailey: "Oh. What a role model." (Smirking, he looks Magnum up and down) "Obviously then your're kept."
Magnum, aghast: "I am not kept."
Dailey, knowingly: "To be sure."

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#36 Post by nha trang »

On my series rewatch, I spin the Western States rating wheel and this one comes up a "7.0" average at best...

I really like Larry Manetti and the Rick character, I just don't like the episode making him out to be a schmuck :magnum:

Nha Trang

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#37 Post by ENSHealy »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:04 am
Tuan Vu wrote:... I didn't quite understand the part about Blair Boyer being Dennis Mackenzie and what that had to do with anything and why Rick went into his office in the first place...
Hi Tuan Vu,
You asked the above question in 2011 and nobody has as yet responded. Well here it is 2019 and I just viewed this episode on COZI-TV and I have the same question.
I never saw him - unless I am mistaken - in this episode till he showed up at the end and is revealed as Mackenzie.
Is this another case of poor editing on COZI-TV's part, Boyer's earlier scene cut out?
The character wasn't listed in the Magnum Mania credits/story line nor in IMBd when I looked him up.
"Blair Boyer" appeared in the scene where the clubhouse was demolished. It's the opening scene, with the title, guest star and prouduction credits, so I don't think COZI could have cut it out. He's listed in the Magnum Mania Episode Guide guest star credits as Dennis MacKenzie because that's who he turns out to be in the end (perhaps the Episode Guide should be updated to read "Dennis MacKenzie/Blair Boyer") and there's a link to Pat Corley's IMDB page, but there he is also listed only as "Dennis MacKenzie".

As far as why "Dennis MacKenzie" adopts "Blair Boyer" as an alias, I would imagine it would be to give "Dennis MacKenzie" an air of mystery, as a little seen business mogul powerful enough that he has a henchman, "Blair Boyer", to do his dirty work.

Rick went there somehow thinking he could help his buddies out by convincing Blair to give T.C. the clubhouse land back, or in some way or other make up for its destruction. It's only his accidental discovery that "Blair" is "Dennis" that enables him to pull it off.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#38 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ENSHealy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:51 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:04 am
Hi Tuan Vu,
"Blair Boyer" appeared in the scene where the clubhouse was demolished. It's the opening scene, with the title, guest star and prouduction credits, so I don't think COZI could have cut it out. He's listed in the Magnum Mania Episode Guide guest star credits as Dennis MacKenzie because that's who he turns out to be in the end (perhaps the Episode Guide should be updated to read "Dennis MacKenzie/Blair Boyer") and there's a link to Pat Corley's IMDB page, but there he is also listed only as "Dennis MacKenzie".
As far as why "Dennis MacKenzie" adopts "Blair Boyer" as an alias, I would imagine it would be to give "Dennis MacKenzie" an air of mystery, as a little seen business mogul powerful enough that he has a henchman, "Blair Boyer", to do his dirty work.
Rick went there somehow thinking he could help his buddies out by convincing Blair to give T.C. the clubhouse land back, or in some way or other make up for its destruction. It's only his accidental discovery that "Blair" is "Dennis" that enables him to pull it off.
Thank you for the information Ensign, finally someone supplied the answer 10 years after Tuan Vu asked. Given your explanation, I think it could have been better handled by the writers as when one
is watching any given TV episode, you don't play close attention to the name of every character introduced, especially if they don't make a strong impression and then the alias is vaguely referred
to later instead of a strongly worded declarative sentence. I am going to have to see this episode again to be sure of my take on things.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 6.20 A Little Bit of Luck… A Little Bit Of Grief

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations: 1 Anglo-Polynesian Annual Charities Drive
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 4
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/643008460

Alas, this is not a great episode. As others have said, they make Rick look far too dense. We all know he is gullible and falls in love at the drop of a hat, but they take it too far with this one. And the pacing…the scene in the bar where Rick meets Jeannie is INTERMINABLE!

I know the “jailhouse attorney” was meant as comic relief, but it seems the writers of Magnum (ocassionally? often?) confuse “annoying” with “comic relief”.

I did like the touch where Blair/Dennis nervously adjusts his toupee as his identity is unmasked, though.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."