Total votes: 74

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Photo Play (6.21)

#76 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:53 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:57 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:43 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:19 am With a set used as infrequently as this, the panels would be torn down and stored between uses. When the carpenters rebuild it for the episode they make modifications like the fireplace. It looks different enough but isn’t a whole new construction. There’s only so much space on the soundstage and this is pretty common. I’ve noticed over the years a few episodes that seem to redress the guesthouse bedroom as another guest bedroom at the estate with a few of these alterations. All of these sets are panelized construction and conducive to quick modifications. A friend of mine worked a couple of years in carpentry at Warner’s in Burbank many years ago. He later moved to Sony in Culver City but is retired now.
That's interesting Pahonu. I have noticed more than a few times the ranch house set on Bonanza was altered to look like it was another location for a scene set elsewhere. But surprisingly
for a series with a high budget it usually was a half assed effort and even as kids my brothers would immediately point that out. Mannix was shameless in using the same studio warehouse
over and over, scores of times, as a setting, only changing the entrance sign, no need for the carpenters you cited.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cry of the Clan McDonald during the English Civil War: "Sons of dogs come, and we will will give you flesh."
They later expanded on this idea and opened up their first hamburger stand.
L.N.D.
TV is about speed, no matter the budget. They need episodes done to a schedule and late isn’t an option. My friend used to joke that it didn’t matter how many workers you threw at a set, paint only dries so fast! :lol: It was an even more demanding schedule during Bonanza when 26 episodes a season was standard. Later it became 22. Now I don’t think there is a standard, even on network series.
Pahonu, I like that line, "paint only dries so fast". The sort of perceived wisdom passed down thru generations of studio set workers. Or journeymen in other skilled trades, a journeyman printer for example
could very well be passing down a insightful observation or cutting remark that first occurred in Johannes Gutenberg's print shop in Mainz in 1439.
R. Lee Ermery was lauded for supplying the memorable insults his DI character laid on his training platoon in Full Metal Jacket, but generations of Marines had already heard them in person.
I like this bit from a bookie: "If you don't know who the mark is at the poker table, it's you".
That wasn’t my line but I completely understood the sentiment. After working a couple of seasons in episodic television production, I came to understand the “hurry up and wait” quote from those in the industry.

The line about not knowing the mark means it’s you is central to more than one episode of The Rockford Files, my favorite series ever.

Mark R.Y.
Captain

Re: Re:

#77 Post by Mark R.Y. »

ENSHealy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:40 pm
Mark R.Y. wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:46 pm
Vanity wrote:The footage used at the opening of this episode where one can see the Cannes and the Carlton Hotel during the film festival dates from 1978. You can tell from the movies billboards featured on the facade of the hotel.
Can anyone identify the movie poster with the yellow background on the marquee to the left of "The Last Waltz"?
It looks like Who'll Stop the Rain, which did come out in 78.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078490/

Of course! Great movie.

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Photo Play (6.21)

#78 Post by Philip Jennings »

Oops: this episode has a "telepay" instead of a teleplay.

Bruce Cervi wrote the "telepay" for "Photo Play".