5%

Total votes: 78

brianw
Rear Admiral

Re: Tran Quoc Jones (5.9)

#61 Post by brianw »

T.Q. wrote:
brianw wrote:
Big Kahuna wrote:Does anyone think that this is more or less the back story of Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom..?

The kid looks identical, is about the same age and of American/Asian decent and he's grown up on the streets pulling scams to survive.

Add to which the air date of this episode is November 1984 and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was released in the summer of 1984...and we know that Magnum P.I. and the Indiana Jones movies have links...

That's funny, because I just watched this last night. My wife saw him and said hey, is that the kid from Indiana Jones?
So all of us Oriental ( :wink: ) kids look the same?

How racist!!! :P

hahaha!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote:

Y'all make good rugs, tho.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by T.Q. »

Chris109 wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

Y'all make good rugs, tho.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#64 Post by 80s Big Hair »

When Magnum leaves Tran Quoc in the guesthouse he says something like, "Here's the TV. There is bee... ...milk and cookies in the 'fridge." Cookies in the refrigerator? That is probably one of the worst places to store cookies unless you are into soggy cookies. I also am not a fan of this episode, but I generally do not like episodes that have child characters, well the ones with Lily are OK.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#65 Post by ENSHealy »

Jay-Firestorm wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:52 pmRegarding Mac wearing the hat that Higgins made in the fourth season’s ‘Operation: Silent Night’ – they are similar, but I don’t believe they are the same hat. This one is smaller, a different colour (Higgins’ was green) and has a rougher finish.
Maybe they just left it out on the back lot in the Hawaiian Sun between seasons 4 and 5? It's pretty darn close.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.9 Tran Quoc Jones

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 2
Image Image
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI: .5
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 5.5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/544008566

Potential magnumania usernames: Honey Lester

A note about the bottle switch, my guess is that they shot that scene over two different days, and the Kahala Hilton being a public facility, they probably had to break down the set entirely between days. Whoever set it up on the second day hadn’t seen the dailies…or didn’t care. (Are there dailies on a TV show?)

How exactly does Mac has connections in NIA? We saw in Mac’s Back that he was only impersonating a Navy officer, and a chaplain at that, not even an NIA officer. So he just waltzes onto Pearl and starts digging around? Or did I miss something somewhere?

Would Rick, TC and Higgins really have waited TWO HOURS for TM at the KKC?

If TC still had some of Nuzo’s gum, it probably wouldn’t have been a bad idea to give that kid some….

As others have said, just way too much cutesy/schmaltzy stuff, but as with almost every episode, there’s just enough classic Magnum moments to keep you hanging in there. (“I can explain”, the yellow pages ad, the Ho Te statue, “I have a couple operatives working on it”). Others have already commented on the byzantine explanatory scene before the press conference, in Tricky Dick’s office, but I will add that during it I found myself almost saying out loud “Who cares, the important part is over, just roll credits!”

About the ending…we can’t assume they didn’t try to find him. They’re all standing in the press conference listening to Tricky Dick speak as the credits roll, and only TM seems to have noticed TQ’s absence when they cut to TQ dropping his clothes and hitting the streets. I think we just have to assume everything was resolved off-screen, like so many other plot loose ends (and Ferrari repairs) over the years.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by charybdis1966 »

I watched this one again about 9 years after my original comment (December 2013) and I can now see the John Kerry similarity with the Haysley character, especially in the confrontation with TC and TM ( "People should I listened to me, I was right !".

This time round I did notice that Tran Quoc was a bit more manipulative than on my first viewing.

It still seems to be a tad overly sentimental in parts to me, but while watching it you kind of get swept along with it all and it didn't really bother me.

And there was no Kathleen Lloyd in the episode to make me want to put my foot in the TV screen - so it's all good ! :lol: