1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 77

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Luther Gillis: File #001 (5.10)

#46 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

308GUY wrote: But geeeez luweez....KEEP THE STUFF RELATED TO THE "NEW" SHOW IN THE REBOOT SECTION...PLEASE!

This site did not come into being to support PLenkov and crew...there's been an entirely new section added to accommodate it...so do all of us a favor and keep it there?

"TIA for your understanding and cooperation."

It would be good if these "cross" posts would disappear from where they don't belong. :magnum:
If you check the reboot section - particularly the episode reviews - this happened all the time vice versa. Those kind of actions there have been applauded and blessed - and marginalized as ‚ just a little fun‘.
There is barely a single topic in the reboot which is not full of this kind of trolling.

We have asked several times to stop it, it never ended and just went worse.
We are now even told that we are bullying the offenders.

I am not for the ‚eye for an eye‘ tactics*, but I think, that Lahonu made a good point and showed how annoying these troll posts are for everybody.
However it seems that we have significant double standards about how these ‚little jokes‘ are seen and that it‘s heavily influenced by personal taste and not by moderator neutrality.

*and I am pretty sure that Lahonu will not continue this kind of behaviour

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Laohu »

I would say an apology from the moderator to the entire board for promoting this kind of post would go a long way to stopping it . Remember I respectfully ask for it to stop multiple times .

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by 308GUY »

Fair enough.

I totally get the "tit for tat" mentality, and can't say I blame anyone for feeling that way and pursuing it when provoked, but somebody at some point has to take the high road or it ends up just like the gooberment...nothing good happening because everybody is so concerned with "winning" and "one-upping" that that's what becomes front and center.

Two wrongs have never made a right and never will.

I've said what I wanted to say...so let er' rip. It IS somewhat "entertaining" (at times) and that's what all of this is about....right?.....our "entertainment"?

The "new" show will stand on it's own merits...or it won't...just like the original. I still think there's room for both, in their own right.

There's some really smart people here. Jokes are a good thing...being hurtful...not so much. :geek:

Bondtoys and Laohu....thank you for your input...I think both comments are within the parameters of "good sport"...and I for one appreciate it.

Take a stand, by all means, just try not to be standing on somebody else's toes...sooner or later, they are going to yell, scream or strike out!

Going back under my rock now. Or maybe out on the water...alone....where it's quiet...and calm...and peaceful....but what about all those "big fish"? :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Laohu »

Don’t worry about the big fish 308 just get a bigger boat :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by T.Q. »

In my rotation.

Could we please delete the Minimag references and ensuing argument?

Is this happening on multiple episode threads? Would be a shame.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by T.Q. »

Anyways.

I like this episode.

As many have stated Luther grew on me.

Now I like him.

His ‘friendship’ with Higgins was nice. That two polar opposites could grow to understand one another.

:luther: :higgins:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.10 LUTHER GILLIS: FILE #001

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: .5
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 2
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 2.5
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 8
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/545011048

Minor point, but Thomas says he’s just finished up a long case “on the North Shore” as if that were somewhere else, but of course in the Magnuverse the estate is supposedly on the North Shore.

This episode once again features the return of the supposedly silent helicopter, in which TC conducts helicopter surveillance from well within the hearing range of his subjects. They do get shot at, and it should be no surprise given that they’re hovering more or less directly above the target.

Minor continuity flub. In several scenes we see TM sitting at his Kaimuki desk. In the first two, the printer is facing him, but in the last, it has mysteriously been turned to face away from him.

The changing face of Kaimuki Savings & Loan: the first and third time they show a storefront for the bank, it’s clearly the same location,

But in the middle, there is this place:

despite the fact TM seems to be sitting in the same cube (and in the same position relative to the imbezzling Mrs. Cathcart) in all three scenes. Add these to the green-capped liquor bottles and you have to wonder if the continuity person was sick that week.

There’s an interesting break in character from the extra sitting behind Higgins and Luther during this scene: https://vimeo.com/545030483 She seems to be appreciative of TM’s crack about a loan for the medical bills. One would imagine Mrs. Cathcart wouldn’t tolerate such mirthful appreciation in one of her minions.

And last but not least, Charlie Chaplin. Does he look a little like Rick, or have I just watched Red-Faced Thespian one too many times?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Treadwell
Commander

#53 Post by Treadwell »

I'm not a fan of Luther, but I'll give this one faint praise that of all his episodes I minded this one the least.

Magnum is barely in it, he's only seen in three sets and not on location at all. They probably shot all those in one day, affording Selleck a few days off.

Weak resolution to the Higgins storyline. Was he his son, or not? Kind of a waste to put a such a serious and important Higgins story in a rompy filler episode. It deserved more serious treatment.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by terryfromkerry »

I watched this episode again tonight. I love the Luther Gillis episodes. I had forgotten Luther slept with his teddy bear and his gun. The aloha shirt with the trouser suspenders... hilarious! I chuckled so audibly my wife who was watching Poker Face in another room was finding it difficult to focus on her TV. 🤭 All these years later classic MPI is still such a pleasure to repeatedly watch and watch and watch! 🦜😊
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:55 am I watched this episode again tonight. I love the Luther Gillis episodes. I had forgotten Luther slept with his teddy bear and his gun. The aloha shirt with the trouser suspenders... hilarious! I chuckled so audibly my wife who was watching Poker Face in another room was finding it difficult to focus on her TV. 🤭 All these years later classic MPI is still such a pleasure to repeatedly watch and watch and watch! 🦜😊
Terry,
I couldn't agree with you more. Luther is my muse, whenever a problem arises I ponder, W.W.L.D.(What Would Luther Do) and viola! problem solved. Be it a dish like Dot Matrix or some scrung-o, just consult
your pocket edition of "So You Want To Be A Detective" and you'll know what to do when you run into them.

Well spotted on the Hawaiian shirt and trouser suspenders, they are just the sort of "bits of business" really good actors come up with when presented with off kilter characters to perform.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by terryfromkerry »

:luther: Absolutely nephew Dobie! I'm on the same page good buddy. Always a pleasure to read your posts and always delighted to receive one personally. Happy new year! :D
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:01 am :luther: Absolutely nephew Dobie! I'm on the same page good buddy. Always a pleasure to read your posts and always delighted to receive one personally. Happy new year! :D
Terry,
And Happy New Year to you. I'll have uncle Luther drop in on you in Kerry after he visits Father Paddy McGuiness in the north. You guys could take in a Tralee Dynamos match.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by terryfromkerry »

Tralee Dynamos! I played against them several times in the 70's. The 1970's that is⚽😉