1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 93

stever
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Little Games (5.12)

#61 Post by stever »

I thought I was the only one with the Jenny Agutter crush. Looks like I am one of many. Jenny was and is a beautiful, stunning woman. SR

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#62 Post by ENSHealy »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 am Could someone please post screen caps of the part where TC and Rick try to break into the estate and end up breaking the window. This scene is one of the few, if only, times we get to see a close-up of the windows on the seawall side of the house. I believe they have decorative wrought iron grills over the windows and tile-work below. Thanks!
Hi Pahonu, I am happy to fulfill your request...only 10 1/2 years after you made it!

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#63 Post by Pahonu »

Wow! Thanks 10 1/2 years :shock:

I’m not complaining though. It’s the best shot I’ve seen of the Spanish tile work at the base of the window.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 5.12 LITTLE GAMES

Famous guest stars: 1 Cesar Romero
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 2
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/548125952

What kind of vault doesn’t have locks on the individual drawers/boxes?

Has that office building lobby been used before? Can’t remember the episode, but Magnum and a woman come in pretending to argue about a case, and end up getting past the security guard by making him feel better about getting the shaft by his ex’s divorce lawyer, if memory serves. Anyone remember which episode that was?

Higgins refers to the study as the “den”!

An end just like Texas Lightning. Neither one would trust the other...and where does it leave them? The maudlin horseback riding flashbacks were a bit much for me, though.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by charybdis1966 »

A few things I noticed watching this again around a decade later than the first time:

The game TM was playing reminds of a multi player Arcade console game called "Gauntlet". I'd spend many a drunken evening around one of these with my student friends at the Uni bar in the mid 80's. We'd get onto it in the early evening and managed to stay on it for hours while getting slowly more inebriated and performing worse at the game as the effects of the pints of beer soaked in. I only remember a few of the characters available, elf, wizard and giant - I think the giant looked the closest to the character TM chose.

As to the story; initially I got annoyed at what I thought was going to be a story where yet another female guest star fell for TM and he got the girl so the fact he doesn't this time does elevate my impression of this episode.

Higgy yelling at TM early on was also funny - he was apoplectic with rage and TM was very much the frightened school boy being admonished by the head master.

One last point - what was Jenny Agutter trying to do with her accent? Most of the time it was her genuine English accent but every now and then she'd slip into an americanism by way of Cape Town or Sydney.

Rather distracting but then that probably says more about what I notice than anything else.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by charybdis1966 »

ENSHealy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:27 pm EPISODE: 5.12 LITTLE GAMES……Has that office building lobby been used before? Can’t remember the episode, but Magnum and a woman come in pretending to argue about a case, and end up getting past the security guard by making him feel better about getting the shaft by his ex’s divorce lawyer, if memory serves. Anyone remember which episode it was ? ………just like Texas Lightning. Neither one would trust the other...and where does it leave them? The maudlin horseback riding flashbacks were a bit much for me, though.
Hi Ens Healy, I do remember that episode where TM and his annoying/deceitful female guest star client distracted a security guard in that way - I’m thinking it’s a season 2 or 3 episode, maybe where Annie Potts starred or maybe it was that wretched Baldwin woman as somebody Archer (Almost home)?
Totally agree, the horse riding flashbacks with the soft focus slow-mo were so saccharine sweet. 🤮

Pahonu

#67 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:25 pm
One last point - what was Jenny Agutter trying to do with her accent? Most of the time it was her genuine English accent but every now and then she'd slip into an americanism by way of Cape Town or Sydney.

Rather distracting but then that probably says more about what I notice than anything else.
Maybe she was channeling her role as an Australian in Walkabout from 1971. :lol: She moved to the US not long after that film so that may be a factor.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by ENSHealy »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:28 pm
ENSHealy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:27 pm EPISODE: 5.12 LITTLE GAMES……Has that office building lobby been used before? Can’t remember the episode, but Magnum and a woman come in pretending to argue about a case, and end up getting past the security guard by making him feel better about getting the shaft by his ex’s divorce lawyer, if memory serves. Anyone remember which episode it was ? ………just like Texas Lightning. Neither one would trust the other...and where does it leave them? The maudlin horseback riding flashbacks were a bit much for me, though.
Hi Ens Healy, I do remember that episode where TM and his annoying/deceitful female guest star client distracted a security guard in that way - I’m thinking it’s a season 2 or 3 episode, maybe where Annie Potts starred or maybe it was that wretched Baldwin woman as somebody Archer (Almost home)?
Totally agree, the horse riding flashbacks with the soft focus slow-mo were so saccharine sweet. 🤮
Very close! And it was your antipathy to Catherine Lloyd that led you to the answer. She was in the episode, but in her usual role as Carol. Your mentioning it made me think about it a little more and I remembered reading an episode guide mentioning that the actor playing the security guard was the guy who did the p.a. announcements in M*A*S*H*. So I googled "public address announcements MASH" and Sal Viscuso's name came up, which led me to the episode guide entry for No More Mr. Nice Guy. I hate to even mention that episode, because it is probably the most egregious Carol episode of the whole series. She is at her manipulative worst in that one! But thanks for the clue that sent me on the search that led to the answer!

As for whether it's the same office building/lobby, I think the answer is no, at least based on the elevator banks, first from No More Mr. Nice Guy:

Then from Little Games:

I thought it might be the same lobby as in Memories are Forever:

But the floor looks a little different:

Nothing like a good rabbit hole to go down on a Saturday morning....
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:19 am
charybdis1966 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:25 pm
One last point - what was Jenny Agutter trying to do with her accent?
Maybe she was channeling her role as an Australian in Walkabout from 1971. :lol: She moved to the US not long after that film so that may be a factor.
It confused the hell out of me when those different pronunciations came out of nowhere - very clunky!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by charybdis1966 »

ENSHealy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:10 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:28 pm
Very close! And it was your antipathy to Catherine Lloyd that led you to the answer. She was in the episode, but in her usual role as Carol. Your mentioning it made me think about it a little more and I remembered reading an episode guide mentioning that the actor playing the security guard was the guy who did the p.a. announcements in M*A*S*H*. So I googled "public address announcements MASH" and Sal Viscuso's name came up, which led me to the episode guide entry for No More Mr. Nice Guy. I hate to even mention that episode, because it is probably the most egregious Carol episode of the whole series. She is at her manipulative worst in that one! But thanks for the clue that sent me on the search that led to the answer! ……..

……Nothing like a good rabbit hole to go down on a Saturday morning....
Ha ha - that’s so cool; I fluked a half-memory which led you to identify the episode you were thinking of.
I much rather be down such rabbit holes - much nicer than the real world nowadays ! 😀

Surf Ski
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Re:

#71 Post by Surf Ski »

ENSHealy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:30 am
Pahonu wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 am Could someone please post screen caps of the part where TC and Rick try to break into the estate and end up breaking the window. This scene is one of the few, if only, times we get to see a close-up of the windows on the seawall side of the house. I believe they have decorative wrought iron grills over the windows and tile-work below. Thanks!
Hi Pahonu, I am happy to fulfill your request...only 10 1/2 years after you made it!

The coincidence of reading this thread when this episode happened to be playing led me to notice this. The scene where Krista breaks in gives an even better view of the tile work.

Pahonu

Re: Re:

#72 Post by Pahonu »

Surf Ski wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:21 pm
ENSHealy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:30 am

The coincidence of reading this thread when this episode happened to be playing led me to notice this. The scene where Krista breaks in gives an even better view of the tile work.

Thank you! All these years later the details are now clear between the two images.

This window is in the one-story ell on the sea wall side of the home. That ell has the living room at the two-story main block, then a smaller library/den, and finally a small lounge with a bar at the end facing the beach entrance gate. The living room and library have paired French doors to the covered porch, or lanai, the one adjacent to the arched colonnade in the main block. They also both have the same doors on the sea wall side opening to the lawn. The living room has four pairs of doors, two at each end, and in the sea wall side, this window between the pair. All of these sea wall-side doors have shutters as does the window. They would fold up in inclement weather and cover the tile work and window and all the glass doors. It’s a good solution by the architect to protect them from wind driven rain.