5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 162

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Home From the Sea (4.1)

#106 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 pm
K Hale wrote:Again, this is an important and well done episode, but not one I enjoy. I liked "Solo Flight" much more.
You're crazy! Insane, I tell you!

I thought Solo Flight was a pathetically obvious attempt to copy the success from Home From the Sea. I hated it.
Tell me about it! TM pinned under some aircraft wreckage while carrying on a conversation with a fly for an hour????!! Sorry, I'd rather see him treading water for an hour and worrying about the currents and sharks. But seriously???? Talking to a fly and then someone dressed like a human fly???? That was the nadir of the whole series!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by eagle »

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my thoughts of this episode. It is an excellent episode, but it's one of my least favorite ones to watch -- I just find it very difficult to watch, with the "I made it, Dad!" being part of the reason why. My eyes are tearing up even as I write this. It's just such a sad episode. I don't skip it (I don't skip any episodes), but I do slow down my viewing at certain points in the series.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#108 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Interesting thoughts on this episode, of all the episodes this one is definitely my most watched. I had it on VHS (taped off of wor in new York) when it ran on reruns in the late 80s (6pm if I recall correctly) and it was always in heavy rotation at my house. I try to watch it each fourth of July, (skipped last year - lost my dad around memorial day 2020 and was not up for the viewing), but will almost definitely dive back in this year.

The sequence at the end - until my (20th?) viewing. I always thought he was imagining treading water and the car pulling up was his dad returning from Korea. It wasn't until recently I realized it was someone coming to say his dad died in Korea.

Since I watched so much magnum on ny cable - I also have all the commercials local to ny stuck in my head forever.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#109 Post by Styles Bitchley »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:53 am Interesting thoughts on this episode, of all the episodes this one is definitely my most watched. I had it on VHS (taped off of wor in new York) when it ran on reruns in the late 80s (6pm if I recall correctly) and it was always in heavy rotation at my house. I try to watch it each fourth of July, (skipped last year - lost my dad around memorial day 2020 and was not up for the viewing), but will almost definitely dive back in this year.

The sequence at the end - until my (20th?) viewing. I always thought he was imagining treading water and the car pulling up was his dad returning from Korea. It wasn't until recently I realized it was someone coming to say his dad died in Korea.

Since I watched so much magnum on ny cable - I also have all the commercials local to ny stuck in my head forever.
Think I might throw this on this year too. Nice ritual. Thanks for sharing and belated condolences.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#110 Post by ConchRepublican »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:53 am Interesting thoughts on this episode, of all the episodes this one is definitely my most watched. I had it on VHS (taped off of wor in new York) when it ran on reruns in the late 80s (6pm if I recall correctly) and it was always in heavy rotation at my house. I try to watch it each fourth of July, (skipped last year - lost my dad around memorial day 2020 and was not up for the viewing), but will almost definitely dive back in this year.

I'm sorry for your loss, deepest condolences . . .

As for this episode, this is one of the few I watch ritually, the other is Operation: Silent Night on Christmas. My mot watched however is probably a tie between Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii and Limbo.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Fleet Admiral

#111 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:21 pm My mot watched however is probably a tie between Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii and Limbo.
That opening of TM sneaking on the estate and stealing the Ferrari just never gets old. And the more you watch it the more you want to see it. Heck, I even recreated that swim and sneak up to the gate myself when I was there in the tidal pool 3 summers ago. That's how classic that scene is! But the entire pilot is so great that you just keep watching whenever it's on, even past the opening.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by eagle »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:00 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:21 pm My mot watched however is probably a tie between Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii and Limbo.
That opening of TM sneaking on the estate and stealing the Ferrari just never gets old. And the more you watch it the more you want to see it. Heck, I even recreated that swim and sneak up to the gate myself when I was there in the tidal pool 3 summers ago. That's how classic that scene is! But the entire pilot is so great that you just keep watching whenever it's on, even past the opening.
Agreed. The series opening scene is my favorite scene in the entire series -- and I sometimes watch just that scene, from the start up to the point where he releases the targa top.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#113 Post by ConchRepublican »

I did as well!!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:42 pm
I did as well!!!!
I imagine a number of fans did. :lol: You can see quite a few videos of this on YouTube.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#115 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Watched again tonight.

The final flashback where young thomas is treading for an hour. Is that a real memory?

To help clarify: for years I thought the final sequence was not a memory, but a scene he was making up. Almost a wish fulfilment "if I tread water for an hour, maybe my dad will come back and not die in Korea."

In the last 10 years I assumed he was remembering a camping trip with his mom, where someone from the navy came and delivered the bad news.

Now I am back to assumption #1. Anyone else have an opinion or evidence that leans one way or the other?

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by Chris109 »

I wonder which technique...

used.

https://www.outsideonline.com/health/tr ... -research/

(Hey, how y'all doin'? I'm just passing thru to pick up my mail.)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Chris109 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:33 pm I wonder which technique...

used.

I haven't seen your posts in awhile. Glad you are back.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:40 am

used.

Thanks. I've been getting back into shape.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#119 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Chris109 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:19 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:40 am

used.

Thanks. I've been getting back into shape.

Good one! This is why your humor was missed.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#120 Post by charybdis1966 »

My watch through of season 4 started recently and there''s not much more that I can add to this classic episode except for I noticed that there seemed to be some anxiety shown by TM's mother in the family scenes.

Was it because she had a bad feeling her husband may not survive his next tour of duty ? I suspect there was a subtle plot point I missed.