1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 162

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Home From the Sea (4.1)

#91 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I thought Solo Flight was a pathetically obvious attempt to copy the success from Home From the Sea. I hated it.
Yes, it was. However, for some reason I enjoyed the setting/scenario more. Maybe because of the set up of Magnum being so depressed over his failures and dependency on others to do little things for him (the mail, the bar tab), maybe because he self-rescues in the end, maybe because "Home From the Sea" made me freakin' seasick, I'm not sure.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I wonder if Magnum ever found his lost surf ski. He could probably get T.C. to help him search with the helicopter, but T.C. would complain about "gas money, baby".

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I wonder if Magnum ever found his lost surf ski. He could probably get T.C. to help him search with the helicopter, but T.C. would complain about "gas money, baby".
I guess one could say he has bad luck with surf skis...
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

jeffran
Captain

#94 Post by jeffran »

A great start to the 4th season, with some really moving moments: A 9.5 for me. The ensemble is in place: Higgins is doing something very Higgins playing polo and having tea with Agatha, TC is being awesome with the kids he's coaching, and Rick's out on a date on the club yacht.

Just a slight ding for including scenes from past episodes, which for a short time verges on clip-show territory. I get why they're there, I just would've preferred more scenes with mom and dad.

Just one question - his father's watch seems to be different than the watch he's wearing on the helicopter w/TC. What's that about? Or am I wrong?

Morganwerk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re:

#95 Post by Morganwerk »

J.J. Walters wrote:Anyone else notice that Young Magnum has brown eyes (not green) and straight hair (not curly)? Huge flub! I guess they couldn't find any good green-eyed, curly-haired child actors at the time. :?
I had straight hair when I was young, it didn’t get curly until I was in my teens.

I can’t speak for the eyes though. :magnum:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Re:

#96 Post by Pahonu »

Morganwerk wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Anyone else notice that Young Magnum has brown eyes (not green) and straight hair (not curly)? Huge flub! I guess they couldn't find any good green-eyed, curly-haired child actors at the time. :?
I had straight hair when I was young, it didn’t get curly until I was in my teens.

I can’t speak for the eyes though. :magnum:
Interesting topic. I also had straight hair when I was young that hung down and flopped like the early Beatles. As a teenager and young adult it became quite wavy and more course. It would never lie down so I always kept it pretty short. It also became a much darker brown shade. As it became more gray (can't complain because it's still really thick) it has straightened out again though it's still pretty course.

My eyes were a light brown as a child and are now green so that can happen. I'm not sure when they changed, but when we first dated, my wife used to tease me about my drivers license saying brown eyes until I finally had it changed. She also came to realize that no one in my family that we know of has green eyes so...?

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by Magnum T. »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I've always thought that Magnum's father looks (and acts) like a morphing of Harrison Ford and Jack Nicholson.
You're absolutely right!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

shaun082
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#98 Post by shaun082 »

Did anyone notice Danny Lin in TC’s van while they were going to the baseball game?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by 308GUY »

shaun082 wrote:Did anyone notice Danny Lin in TC’s van while they were going to the baseball game?

Yep.....just never brought it up cause I figured somebody else, (one of the smart people), would've already seen and mentioned it! :geek:

Never checked so it may indeed have already been pointed out....could even be in the episode cover page.

Just thought I'd let you know...yea....I noticed that too...some time ago.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

brianw
Rear Admiral

#100 Post by brianw »

Can't add much here. There were a ton of flubs in this one, but it definitely is one of the best episodes. It was different from anything else on TV and very emotional. I almost wish that in the next ep, they had followed up on the turkeys who knocked TM off his surf ski. Would be nice to know they were held responsible.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by ENSHealy »

4.1 Home From the Sea
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts: 1 tan with white logo
Shirtless:
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Higgins Organizations: 1 Prince of Wales Sandwich Islands Polo Team
Higgins musings: 2
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: .5 Half point since it's Higgins saying it to Agatha.
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 4.5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/384221094

Potential magnumania usernames: Tommy, Teddy Fabershaw

It’s a nice touch how the wave sounds continue to run over the flashbacks.

Riddle me this:
When Rick stops the King Kam II nearby, why doesn’t TM swim toward the boat?
Wouldn’t you chafe your chest off paddling a real longboard for 5 miles?
Based on the final moments of Season 3, shouldn’t Rick have just thrown Sandy off the boat when she turned on the radio?
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by K Hale »

I don’t think TM could see the boat. It’s dark, there are swells, and his eyes are full of salt water and probably have been burning for hours.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#103 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I just watched this last night. He had been in the water for over 20 hours when Rick got close enough to hear, he was delirious and exhausted he went under just yelling at the boat. What strength he had left was used to keep his head above water.
That reminds me of the time....

Work The Lock
Lieutenant

#104 Post by Work The Lock »

Just watched this on 4th of July to infuse a meaningful moment into the holiday and was grateful to be joined by my wife and daughters, who watched with great interest and then equal emotional hush during the closing scene as young Tommy salutes his father's flag-draped casket. This episode reminds me why we feel so strong for Magnum's character.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

brianw wrote:Can't add much here. There were a ton of flubs in this one, but it definitely is one of the best episodes. It was different from anything else on TV and very emotional. I almost wish that in the next ep, they had followed up on the turkeys who knocked TM off his surf ski. Would be nice to know they were held responsible.
brianw,
The writers realized we all wanted the boaters caught. But I think their way turned out better, we all go thru life with injustices never getting to be addressed.
That the turkeys got away scot free got us even more emotionally involved in the story.
You know the writers seem to get short shrift on these boards, hopefully one day someone will start a thread on them.
For instance is there any particular writer who penned an unusual amount of the episodes? Who wrote many of the
characters tag lines? Or oversaw the creative arc of the series even if their name wasn't on a script, as Howard
Rodman and Stirling Silliphant did for Naked City and Route 66?