1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 162

jwilder1776
Ensign

Re: Home From the Sea (4.1)

#121 Post by jwilder1776 »

As someone who lost my dad when I was less than a year old, this is one of my favorite episodes and gets to me every time I watch it!

jwilder1776
Ensign

#122 Post by jwilder1776 »

As someone who lost my dad when I was less than a year old, this is one of my favorite episodes and gets to me every time I watch it!

Lindsay Writer
Commander

#123 Post by Lindsay Writer »

This guy really did it he treaded water for 15 hours after he fell off a cruise ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX4PBYoJMNE

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#124 Post by Pahonu »

Lindsay Writer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:13 am This guy really did it he treaded water for 15 hours after he fell off a cruise ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX4PBYoJMNE
Thanks for that link!

Wilson_MacLeish
Lieutenant

#125 Post by Wilson_MacLeish »

Happy Independence Day! I'm just settling in to fire this one up. Home From The Sea is the single best episode of Magnum P.I. and one of the 10 best episodes of any show in television history. It's fitting today as this is the very first July 4th in my life that I've spent alone.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#126 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Hope you enjoyed. I try to watch it every 4th, but it usually ends up being every other. Coming up on the 40th anniversary of this episode in the fall.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#127 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

It's interesting that MPI has not one but two 4th of July episodes - this one and "Death and Taxes". Both among the best in the series to boot!

I really don't know many other shows that have 4th of July episodes. Christmas, sure. Thanksgiving, sure. But not Memorial Day or the 4th. Maybe it's because by the time 4th of July rolls around most shows are on summer hiatus so they're never showing new episodes to coincide with this holiday. That's why I think it's interesting that MPI has not 1, but 2 such episodes! Even if they weren't actually shown during the 4th of July weekend.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#128 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Interesting I never think of Death and Taxes as a 4th of July episode, but if Die Hard is a Christmas movie, then Death and Taxes can be a 4th of July episode. The only other shows I can think of are the wonder years series finale and the original Bob newhart show had an episode centered around the bicentennial (which aired in October).

Fleet Admiral

#129 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:08 am Interesting I never think of Death and Taxes as a 4th of July episode, but if Die Hard is a Christmas movie, then Death and Taxes can be a 4th of July episode. The only other shows I can think of are the wonder years series finale and the original Bob newhart show had an episode centered around the bicentennial (which aired in October).
"Death and Taxes" is very much a 4th of July episode because the events happen during that time and Magnum mentions that he likes to spend the 4th alone surfskiing. Hence why everyone is leaving him (Higgy, Rick, T.C.) so that he can be alone and finish his taxes. TM is alone at the end surskiing as he contemplates who the Ripper was and why he did what he did.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#130 Post by Aloha Friday »

TM must have gotten an extension on his taxes, or he's way delinquent from the 15 April tax day deadline.

I just watched Home from the Sea again on the 4th...tradition, I guess. It is a very good episode and one of my favorites, but it is not a good stand-alone episode. You have to have been a faithful viewer of the show and know the dynamics of the characters. If you found someone who had never seen the show before, would this be the one you would recommend they watch?

It is a Top 10-15 episode for me.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#131 Post by SeamanWolfe »

"Death and Taxes" is very much a 4th of July episode because the events happen during that time and Magnum mentions that he likes to spend the 4th alone surfskiing. Hence why everyone is leaving him (Higgy, Rick, T.C.) so that he can be alone and finish his taxes. TM is alone at the end surskiing as he contemplates who the Ripper was and why he did what he did.
[/quote]

I agree - I had just never thought of it that way. Also have not watched it in a long time. I guess my July 4, 2024 is fully booked.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#132 Post by Pahonu »

Aloha Friday wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:39 pm TM must have gotten an extension on his taxes, or he's way delinquent from the 15 April tax day deadline.
I haven’t seen it in quite a while, but if I remember correctly Magnum was being audited, not just filing his taxes. I recall he had a hard time even saying the word “audit”, to comedic effect.

Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Aloha Friday wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:39 pm TM must have gotten an extension on his taxes, or he's way delinquent from the 15 April tax day deadline.

I just watched Home from the Sea again on the 4th...tradition, I guess. It is a very good episode and one of my favorites, but it is not a good stand-alone episode. You have to have been a faithful viewer of the show and know the dynamics of the characters. If you found someone who had never seen the show before, would this be the one you would recommend they watch?

It is a Top 10-15 episode for me.
I agree with this. It's not your typical MPI episode because there's no "investigating" going on, at least not by Magnum. Just the guys trying to locate him. It's a character study centering on TM's character. It's a very good episode but not one I would start someone off with. In fact I find it a bit overrated because I see many who consider this to be the single best MPI episode. I wouldn't put it into my top 5. Maybe not even my top 10. It does get a bit monotonous with TM in the water for the duration. I like a bit more variety. But that's just my tastes. The ending funeral scene sure does pack a wallop though. I'll give it that. :cry:

Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:26 am
I haven’t seen it in quite a while, but if I remember correctly Magnum was being audited, not just filing his taxes. I recall he had a hard time even saying the word “audit”, to comedic effect.
Ah, that does make sense then. I thought it was strange that he would be doing his taxes in July.

RodMarsh
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#135 Post by RodMarsh »

I have to confess that the twist in the tale - perhaps partly because you can see it coming - packs an emotional punch which made me cry. I love the fact that Magnum as a series is like a lucky dip: everything from dark tales to light comedy. Just when you think you have seen every shade it has to offer, you get this episode.