6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 89

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#31 Post by Tom_Magnum »

This episode was pretty funny, esp. with the part where T.C. goes "pickled-egg please". I felt TM's pain when he had to deal with that little brat who gave him the black eye.

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Miss Q »

I couldnt beleive it. I walked into the grocery store today and there it was, a huge round stacked display of soda. It looked just like the beer TM stacked in Limited Engagement. I looked at it and laughed as I walked down the aisles.....

funny when life and MPI collide some times....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#33 Post by IslandHopper »

Miss Q wrote:I couldnt beleive it. I walked into the grocery store today and there it was, .....

funny when life and MPI collide some times....
I thought you were gonna say a giant jar of pickled eggs. :lol:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

brunoffrance
Captain

cable tv ?

#34 Post by brunoffrance »

familly sunday vote ( 8 around the table): 8,5...
I've thought to have discovered a flub but I 'had forgotten that we were not in France nor Europe... In the 80's, cable tv didn't exist ... and seing Johnnie watching Tv via the cable, I said , last sunday : impossible ! And my brother said yes it is possible, it's America and the used at this time the cable TV...
So not a flub...
For information, the cable for Tv was used in France circa 90's...

Bruno
Very american 4 a french...

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

This is a likable and amusing ep; one of my favourites of the fourth season.

[rating=9.5]

Working undercover in a convenience store to try and crack a series of robberies, Magnum meets two aging ladies who have a car accident in front of the store, and ends up helping them try to save their boarding house from a crooked landlord. A fun ep…

-----

This episode (working title: ‘Golden Years’) pretty much plays as an out-and-out comedy, and for that I really like it.
It is consistently amusing, and has some good guest stars in Mildred Natwick and Martha Scott as the LaSalle sisters.

Magnum’s scenes working undercover at the convenience store, Day-and-Dark, are also very funny. The moments with the brattish boy are good, but the undoubted highlight is the classic scene where T.C. asks for a pickled egg (apparently for the third day in a row).

For an episode that is mostly a comedy, there is one sad moment when one of the elderly people, Herman, has his piano taken away – his last few notes always get to me!

The bingo gala that Magnum convinces Higgins to hold, to raise funds to save the boarding house, is also good, although I did find it strange that Rick insisted that Ice Pick be invited, only for Ice Pick to pull out at the last minute. I wonder if at the last moment Elisha Cook wasn’t available for some reason, and they had to work around it? It did strike me as a bit odd.

The final act is a bit silly, but I suppose it rounds off the story well and could have been worse. And without giving anything away, I like the final moments, as the LaSalle sisters make their escape.

Overall, this is a very likable and enjoyable episode; I give it a worthy 9.5.

-----

Other bloopers, notes and misc.:

* After the kid has knocked over Magnum’s display at the beginning of the story, when he skateboards away during the car accident, it is quite clearly a stunt double; the boy had curly hair, whereas the double has a straight hair.

* As mentioned in my review, it seems very strange in this episode in that we are built up for Ice Pick to attend the bingo gala, only to drop out at the last minute. I wonder if Elisha Cook was suddenly unavailable?
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#36 Post by Rutledal »

This was a wellcome re-watch, very funny episode. Pickled egg please.

Some notes.

#1. The opening preview features two alternate/extended cuts not shown in the episode. When the kid/brat ruins Magnum's beer can art the preview shows him kicking the cans, in the episode you only hear them fall. The other one is a shot of the big native that tells Magnum that nobody hits women. In the preview there is a shot of him when he says it, in the episode there is a shot of Magnum and the line is delivered of-screen.

#2. Did anyone else think Ms. Wilcox was a total babe?
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by lutherhgillis »

Yea, Wilcox was a looker but boy what a hostile attitude... I would consider her a b*@%&...

Bruno,

I'm not sure about Hawaii but most of the mainland US began getting hooked up to cable TV in the mid 70s. Ours offered about 8 channels! Several (sometimes many) channels were added each year and we had about 75 channles by the late 80s. Sports were a big part of early cable. WGN offered Cubs baseball and WTBS offered Atlanta Braves games. The Braves were awful back then. I remember watching late-season games when about 800 would be in the stands...

Cheers
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#38 Post by Rutledal »

Yeah Wilcox was easier on the eyes than on the ears.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#39 Post by N1095A »

Here's a note you may not know, Darleen Carr who played Ms. Wilcox has been married to Jameson Parker, A.J. from Simon & Simon since 1992.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#40 Post by N1095A »

Tom_Magnum wrote:This episode was pretty funny, esp. with the part where T.C. goes "pickled-egg please". I felt TM's pain when he had to deal with that little brat who gave him the black eye.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UYjdpMVzy4
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#41 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

I'm in love with this green and white shirt :oops:
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#42 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I love the green and white shirt as well. I'd like to get my hands on one like it.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#43 Post by golfmobile »

I have a similar one . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#44 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice one Golf. I have seen similar ones around, and I may have to pull the trigger sometime soon since the weather is getting nice.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by steveadl »

Good, fun episode. I enjoyed this one. Pickled Egg scene was hillarious, especially TC's straight face while delivering the lines. "How stupid of me, I must have forgotten my wallet." :lol: