No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Letter to a Duchess (4.6)

#76 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

This was a good enough episode but I just couldn't help but feel like this was a retread of season 2's "Tropical Madness" which I found to be superior. So for me this one falls somewhere between Pretty Good and Decent. Wish I enjoyed it more! And there was something about Jane Merrow's elongated face... umm... I don't know. She has this really long and narrow face. Somehow she didn't radiate that "bliss" or "grace" that she should have to get Higgins so hot and bothered. She also somehow looked older than her age at the time.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by K Hale »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:20 am This was a good enough episode but I just couldn't help but feel like this was a retread of season 2's "Tropical Madness" which I found to be superior. So for me this one falls somewhere between Pretty Good and Decent. Wish I enjoyed it more! And there was something about Jane Merrow's elongated face... umm... I don't know. She has this really long and narrow face. Somehow she didn't radiate that "bliss" or "grace" that she should have to get Higgins so hot and bothered. She also somehow looked older than her age at the time.
Higgie Baby was probably still thinking about how she looked when she was young.

She did look a bit odd in the episode though. Maybe they deliberately aged her or something.

I still prefer this episode to Tropical Madness. I can't stand that girl's fake British accent.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#79 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:33 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:20 am This was a good enough episode but I just couldn't help but feel like this was a retread of season 2's "Tropical Madness" which I found to be superior. So for me this one falls somewhere between Pretty Good and Decent. Wish I enjoyed it more! And there was something about Jane Merrow's elongated face... umm... I don't know. She has this really long and narrow face. Somehow she didn't radiate that "bliss" or "grace" that she should have to get Higgins so hot and bothered. She also somehow looked older than her age at the time.
Higgie Baby was probably still thinking about how she looked when she was young.

She did look a bit odd in the episode though. Maybe they deliberately aged her or something.

I still prefer this episode to Tropical Madness. I can't stand that girl's fake British accent.
I think perhaps they tried to make her not only look a bit older, but very staid and conservative in terms of her clothing. I think she was in her early 40’s in this episode.

RodMarsh
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#80 Post by RodMarsh »

Not a 'classic' episode for me, but one piece of interior monologue or narration stuck with me. "Sure, I know it's crazy to refer to whatever Higgins and I share as friendship, but it is. We fight and bicker like an old married couple, but somewhere - mixed in with the jibes - is a funny kind of mutual trust." Magnum expressing something I reckon many men can identify with.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Last week I saw "Letter to a Duchess" and my feelings haven't really changed on it. It's good/okay but nothing more than that. I still think "Tropical Madness" is the superior episode. That one even has a midget (or a dwarf)! :lol: And you just can't beat seeing Higgy actually sock TM in the jaw! :shock: And I still think that somehow Jane Merrow comes across as too much of a Plain Jane for Higgy to be going completely bonkers over her. Looks like an English homemaker, not royalty. Though I guess for him a lot of it has to do with the "peerage". He's such a snob! :) I do like him talking to the lads and telling them that "one has to know one's station in life". :D And I also like the appearance of the brand new Audi 100 - must have been the newest 1983 model (although I always thought they came later - like mid to late 80s). Always dug those! I remember when we came to America in 1991 as a kid I was pretty much in love with that particular make and model. They seemed to be everywhere.