1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 113

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: Squeeze Play (4.7)

#121 Post by KingKC »

At least the sports were realistic in this episode unlike the silly episode of "One More Summer."

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by Chris109 »

Ah, Dick Shawn.

If you want to see him in total action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQfOmrwrQvU

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#123 Post by Chris109 »

And don't forget Mickey.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by Stelth »

I wish this forum had a "like" button. You'd get two from me.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#125 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:The one question I always had about this episode is where Magnum goes into the bar (Last Rivet, I think) looking for Jerome/Killer/Bad Friday and gets trampled by the construction workers rushing out of the bar, an older retired man sitting at a bar wearing a construction outfit including hardhat tells Magnum where Jerome is working. If the old man is retired as he says, then why is he still wearing a construction helmet/hardhat? To each his own, I guess. :wink:
My wild guess is that he still wants to drink at the bar but even he knows how rough it gets there. (Magnum had just been trampled after all. :P)
Hi Guys,
Every time I have seen this scene it struck me how the "I'm retired" 'joke' wasn't funny, the story wasn't advanced, it was all pointless, so why have the lingering scene with him? I'd bet money it was a In Joke, made for the cast and not the general audience. The old timer could be a valued and loved crew member who was retiring from the business and the producers wanted to do something for him. Since there was no reason to have so many extras in the scene, they were probably Magnum crew members as well.
This is done all the time in Hollywood. The last episode of Perry Mason, with Dick Clark as the killer, occurred at a TV studio, so they got to have all the actual behind the scenes workers appear. Stars often have their real family members in bit parts or just in the background.
The real life Maria Von Trapp appeared in a village scene in Sound of Music. Some of the Marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima are the ones doing it again for the classic war film, The Sands of Iwo Jima, but the audience would never know that.
In a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode, David Ogden Stiers from MASH is shown as a alien looking at a computer screen that has the numbers 4077 on it, the numerical designation for his MASH unit.
In the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Ed Asner had a photo on his office wall of him in his football uniform from high school. Years earlier, the same photo was on the wall of his character's room in a episode of The Fugitive, "Three Cheers For Little Boy Blue".
In another MTM episode, a photo of a crooked politician is shown onscreen, it was of Mary's then husband the producer Grant Tinker.
Martin Milner's kid was on Adam-12, Dick Van Dykes son who starred with him on Diagnosis Murder appeared as a kid on the Dick Van Dyke Show.
On the Andy Griffith Show, Sheriff Taylor has on his desk the phone book for Mount Airy, NC, Griffith's hometown and inspiration for Mayberry, many of whose citizen's sported the names of his childhood pals.
Warner Brothers TV studio was the king of In Jokes in the 1950's and 1960's, on Maverick you'd find Ed "Kookie" Byrnes(77 Sunset Strip), famous for constantly combing his hair, appear as a stable boy in a shot so fast if you blinked you missed it. He was currying Maverick's horse with a giant outsize comb.
One of the best In Jokes was at the end of a Wild Wild West episode with Alan "the skipper" Hale, maybe one of you know what it was, it was very funny.

Wizard of Oz to the Tin Man:
"And remember my sentimental friend, a heart is not judged by how much you love but by how much you are loved by others"
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: One of the best In Jokes was at the end of a Wild Wild West episode with Alan "the skipper" Hale, maybe one of you know what it was, it was very funny.
He told West he was going to take a vacation on some deserted island. And they both laughed.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#127 Post by KingKC »

I think it was St. Elsewhere when the announcement in the background was for Dr. Kimball to contact the one-armed man on the roof.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Chris109 wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: One of the best In Jokes was at the end of a Wild Wild West episode with Alan "the skipper" Hale, maybe one of you know what it was, it was very funny.
He told West he was going to take a vacation on some deserted island. And they both laughed.
Hi Chris,
You got it! Also, in the background, they played the first few notes of the Gilligan's Island theme music.
Both series ran on CBS. Early in his career Alan Hale was a well known bodybuilder and weight lifter.
Bob Denver said Hale, even with the 40 extra pounds he sported on Gilligan was enormously strong
and enjoyed regularly beating men half his age in arm wrestling.

"I don't believe in carrying tales but I believe you should know what young Theodore is up to, Mrs. Cleaver"
...Eddie Haskell ratting out Beaver Cleaver

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#129 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IslandHopper wrote:Actually, he doesn't casually mention it; it was more of an exclamation. When Higgins walks into the study, he finds Buzz conducting a photo shoot of one of his Buzzettes, who was wearing only Higgins' Victoria Cross. :shock:
Hi Guys,
I am pretty sure this was the only time in the series that Higgins winning the Victoria Cross was mentioned. It is arguably, strike that IS, the most prestigious
award for valor on the planet, if only because it had so many winners from countries(once part of the British Empire) around the world.
Frankly, and I am no prude rather quite the opposite, I thought the scene with the naked centerfold sporting Higgin's medal was in very bad taste.
Imagine if Audie Murphy walked into a room and a nude member of the Kardashian trash was wearing his Medal of Honor.
The circumstances of winning such an award means some of, or all of the winner's buddies likely died in the action, which is why they invariably say they wear
the medal not just for themselves but for their comrades as well.
I did think the Lads choosing to remain with the babes instead of following Higgins out of the room was funny.
But come on, Higgins upon entering the room would have stripped the VC from around the model's throat in a heartbeat and then kicked Buzz in his wedding
tackle on the way out.
If it had been Magnum and a Medal of Honor he had won he would have beat Buzz's butt and thrown him in the tidal pool for the turtles to snack on.
This scene wasn't well thought out, though I have always really liked the episode otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------------------
"That's the worst plan since Hitler's Dad said to Hitler's Mom,
'Let's go upstairs, Hilda, I'm feeling a bit saucy tonight' "
...Black Adder

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by ENSHealy »

4.7 SQUEEZE PLAY
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1 red jungle bird
Tigers Cap: 3 Orange D, White D, Al’s Automotive
Image Image Image
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless:
OMG/Extraordinarys: 1 19:30
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 2 29:40 31:10
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 1 20:30
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 8
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/388828170

Potential magnumania usernames: Buzz Benoit, Wallace McNerdy

Regular goon role-player Robert Apiza plays one of the KKC softball team players, disguised behind his hat and large sunglasses.

Here he is one episode earlier, in Letter to A Duchess, in the legendary leap from the ropes scene:
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

brianw
Rear Admiral

#131 Post by brianw »

ENSHealy wrote:4.7 SQUEEZE PLAY
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1 red jungle bird
Tigers Cap: 3 Orange D, White D, Al’s Automotive
Image Image Image
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless:
OMG/Extraordinarys: 1 19:30
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 2 29:40 31:10
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 1 20:30
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 8
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/388828170

Potential magnumania usernames: Buzz Benoit, Wallace McNerdy

Regular goon role-player Robert Apiza plays one of the KKC softball team players, disguised behind his hat and large sunglasses.

Here he is one episode earlier, in Letter to A Duchess, in the legendary leap from the ropes scene:

Haha, he is in, literally, every other episode. Always funny to see him in other shows or movies as well.

stever
Lieutenant Commander

#132 Post by stever »

So they showed this episode on Charge TV today and included the trailer which I have never seen and my DVD does not have. The trailer included a scene not shown in the episode of the last play of the softball game. It was taken from a camera elevated above the action and outside the park behind home plate (I'm picturing the camera was on some kind of lift?) and showed Magnum running into home and sliding. In the episode that play is at ground level. Just thought I would pass that on. SR

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#133 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Towards the end of the episode Higgins does a play on a famous Richard Nixon quote, "You don't have Nixon to kick around anymore." Higgins says something like, "You won't have Johnathon Higgins to kick around anymore."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#134 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:00 am
I'm sure in reality no millionaire or billionaire would give a crap about anyone or anything but himself...but this was "Magnum, p.i." and Robin Masters supposedly really liked or cared for Higgins and Magnum! :o He should have thought more of them in this episode. But, then again there were episodes that sort of gave the impression that Masters wasn't always that intelligent when it came to common sense...so maybe this was just one of those? :wink:
I never got the impression that Robin was some sort of upstanding citizen who cared for Higgy or TM. We know he writes cheap and smutty stuff for a living and lives a very decadent lifestyle. We know very little about the man but he seems to throw his money around left and right and seems to have residences all over the world, Robin's Nest being just one of them and he's never even there. So I just don't see him as having any personal connection to the place or caring much if he lost it or not. He'd just get another one somewhere else. Higgy and TM are probably just an afterthought to him. I'm sure he has quite a few Higgy's and TM's across all the places he owns.

I think we project our own feelings towards Higgy and TM onto Robin. The entire show for us revolves around these 2 so to us they are VERY important. As is the estate. But if you shift focus to Robin and his "world" then you quickly realize that Higgy and TM simply aren't a part of it. Nor is the estate. He rarely sees them or it.

At the end of the day he's just a spoiled, bored rich guy. :|

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#135 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:47 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:00 am
I'm sure in reality no millionaire or billionaire would give a crap about anyone or anything but himself...but this was "Magnum, p.i." and Robin Masters supposedly really liked or cared for Higgins and Magnum! :o He should have thought more of them in this episode. But, then again there were episodes that sort of gave the impression that Masters wasn't always that intelligent when it came to common sense...so maybe this was just one of those? :wink:
I never got the impression that Robin was some sort of upstanding citizen who cared for Higgy or TM. We know he writes cheap and smutty stuff for a living and lives a very decadent lifestyle. We know very little about the man but he seems to throw his money around left and right and seems to have residences all over the world, Robin's Nest being just one of them and he's never even there. So I just don't see him as having any personal connection to the place or caring much if he lost it or not. He'd just get another one somewhere else. Higgy and TM are probably just an afterthought to him. I'm sure he has quite a few Higgy's and TM's across all the places he owns.

I think we project our own feelings towards Higgy and TM onto Robin. The entire show for us revolves around these 2 so to us they are VERY important. As is the estate. But if you shift focus to Robin and his "world" then you quickly realize that Higgy and TM simply aren't a part of it. Nor is the estate. He rarely sees them or it.

At the end of the day he's just a spoiled, bored rich guy. :|
I very much agree. The very wealthy buy and sell real estate like we might buy and sell curios or minor collectibles. He has multiple cars at multiple estates, overseen by multiple caretakers, gardeners, and house staff. He likely wouldn’t be close to any if them. A line from Italian Ice comes to mind, where Katrina tells Higgins how Robin was so upset at losing at chess to him, a servant. That says more than a little about the relationship.

That said, I don’t know how bored he might be, spoiled and rich, likely yes, and absolutely yes, but I’m wondering about the bored part.