5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 113

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#136 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:00 pm
That said, I don’t know how bored he might be, spoiled and rich, likely yes, and absolutely yes, but I’m wondering about the bored part.
Bored in the sense that gambling away something as big as a multi-million dollar property is just "another day" for Robin. No biggie. I mean if something like that doesn't phase him then I have to wonder what gets him excited. Writing his pulpy novels and his female companions maybe? I still say he's a bored rich guy. :) The reason he gambles these things away is because he doesn't know what to do with them, hence being "bored". The more you have, the less you value it.

Fleet Admiral

#137 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:31 am
Hi Guys,
Every time I have seen this scene it struck me how the "I'm retired" 'joke' wasn't funny, the story wasn't advanced, it was all pointless, so why have the lingering scene with him?
I don't follow, Dobe.

The story was most definitely advanced because the old retired guy told Mag where to find "Killer" Kapowitz. He's the reason Mag was able to track down "Killer". So he definitely serves a purpose. As for the "retired" joke I guess it's very subtle and I certainly missed it because I didn't even question why a retired guy is wearing a hardhat. But if you do notice this then I guess you can either chalk it up to being a flub (which most here seem to do) or just a light joke about this guy being so dedicated to his former profession and hanging out with the rest of the guys that he insists on wearing that hardhat. :lol: That scene doesn't bother me in the least. But it definitely serves a purpose and advances the story.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Squeeze Play (4.7)

#138 Post by Pahonu »

I’m not sure the “I’m retired” line was meant to be a punchline to a joke or anything. I think it was just the culmination of a funny scene with Magnum getting trampled and simply explained why he didn’t run like everyone else. It did help advance the plot as Magnum got the information about where to find Jerome as Ivan wrote.

Why is he wearing a hard hat at the bar? Why are any of them wearing a hard hat at the bar? They’re a piece of safety equipment and not the most comfortable. I think it’s Hollywood showing us in perhaps an overly-simplistic way that this is the watering hole of a bunch of construction workers. When I was in college, after an injury led to the end of my basketball scholarship, I got some part-time work in construction through a friend of my dad. Several jobs required hardhats. I don’t remember many guys wearing them at lunch or at the end of the day. They usually ditched it as soon as they could according to the rules. This was in the early 90’s, not long after the series ended. Similarly, as an industrial electrician, my father had to wear heavy steel toe boots in his work and they came off the minute he got home. Just some thoughts.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#139 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:32 pm
Hi Guys,
Every time I have seen this scene it struck me how the "I'm retired" 'joke' wasn't funny, the story wasn't advanced, it was all pointless, so why have the lingering scene with him?
I don't follow, Dobe.

The story was most definitely advanced because the old retired guy told Mag where to find "Killer" Kapowitz. He's the reason Mag was able to track down "Killer". So he definitely serves a purpose. As for the "retired" joke I guess it's very subtle and I certainly missed it because I didn't even question why a retired guy is wearing a hardhat. But if you do notice this then I guess you can either chalk it up to being a flub (which most here seem to do) or just a light joke about this guy being so dedicated to his former profession and hanging out with the rest of the guys that he insists on wearing that hardhat. :lol: That scene doesn't bother me in the least. But it definitely serves a purpose and advances the story.
Hi Guys,
You and Pahonu make a good case. But look at the very large number of extras, if that scene took a day or more to film you have to not just pay but feed those hefty Hawaiians. I don't think any
producer in his right mind would let this scene be staged - $$$$ - this way. Instead you could have just had Rick on the phone say he got a tip from his street sources as to where "Killer" was.
It would save many thousands of dollars, and it would have certainly occurred to the people in charge to cut costs that way.
That's why I think they are a real crew from the production.
Take a look at these guys, the way they stand, they are the McCoy, real working men not some dentists or manicurists moonlighting as extras for a lark.
I'd bet my US Open Spiro Agnew autographed tennis ball, encased in plastic, bought at a garage sale, that the "retiring guy" has no other acting credit.

Pahonu

#140 Post by Pahonu »

When I was a production assistant from 93-95 the non SAG rate for “atmosphere” or extras was $65 for eight hours. SAG members got $100. I would wager the vast majority of local talent in Hawaii was non SAG, so it would be far less expensive than you might think. The only one in that bar scene with lines was the “I’m retired” guy who probably got paid $250 or less that day. He might also have just been a local who got selected to have a line that day. It happened while I was in production. The director decided they wanted a speaking line not in the script and a random extra was selected. I can tell you that many a wannabe actor was super excited if that happened. Not only did their pay go way up, but they would be eligible to join SAG. Otherwise, it would take several SAG atmosphere vouchers which were also hard to come by, to be eligible to join the union.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#141 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:49 am When I was a production assistant from 93-95 the non SAG rate for “atmosphere” or extras was $65 for eight hours. SAG members got $100. I would wager the vast majority of local talent in Hawaii was non SAG, so it would be far less expensive than you might think. The only one in that bar scene with lines was the “I’m retired” guy who probably got paid $250 or less that day. He might also have just been a local who got selected to have a line that day. It happened while I was in production. The director decided they wanted a speaking line not in the script and a random extra was selected. I can tell you that many a wannabe actor was super excited if that happened. Not only did their pay go way up, but they would be eligible to join SAG. Otherwise, it would take several SAG atmosphere vouchers which were also hard to come by, to be eligible to join the union.
Well, that explains why a buddy of mine who was a regular extra on "Chicago Fire" got screamed at when he spoke unscripted. Well, to be more accurate I would describe him as "someone I know" rather than "a buddy" as I never bothered to watch that show. If my recollection of his account of the story is correct (which is hearsay within hearsay) was that the firemen were playing poker. Instead of just folding his cards, he said, "Darn it."

Pahonu

#142 Post by Pahonu »

80s Big Hair wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:31 am
Pahonu wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:49 am When I was a production assistant from 93-95 the non SAG rate for “atmosphere” or extras was $65 for eight hours. SAG members got $100. I would wager the vast majority of local talent in Hawaii was non SAG, so it would be far less expensive than you might think. The only one in that bar scene with lines was the “I’m retired” guy who probably got paid $250 or less that day. He might also have just been a local who got selected to have a line that day. It happened while I was in production. The director decided they wanted a speaking line not in the script and a random extra was selected. I can tell you that many a wannabe actor was super excited if that happened. Not only did their pay go way up, but they would be eligible to join SAG. Otherwise, it would take several SAG atmosphere vouchers which were also hard to come by, to be eligible to join the union.
Well, that explains why a buddy of mine who was a regular extra on "Chicago Fire" got screamed at when he spoke unscripted. Well, to be more accurate I would describe him as "someone I know" rather than "a buddy" as I never bothered to watch that show. If my recollection of his account of the story is correct (which is hearsay within hearsay) was that the firemen were playing poker. Instead of just folding his cards, he said, "Darn it."
That’s a definite no-no because if they used that take they would have to pay him a much higher SAG rate and add him to the closing credits. I’m thinking the rate for a basic speaking part when I worked was around $600-700, or about ten times the non-SAG extra rate. Those are the names that appear in the end credits. The guest stars in the opening credits with the producers, writers, director, etc… also had a SAG minimum but generally negotiated pay through their agents.

Fleet Admiral

#143 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:44 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:32 pm
Hi Guys,
I don't follow, Dobe.

Hi Guys,
You and Pahonu make a good case. But look at the very large number of extras, if that scene took a day or more to film you have to not just pay but feed those hefty Hawaiians. I don't think any
producer in his right mind would let this scene be staged - $$$$ - this way. Instead you could have just had Rick on the phone say he got a tip from his street sources as to where "Killer" was.
It would save many thousands of dollars, and it would have certainly occurred to the people in charge to cut costs that way.
That's why I think they are a real crew from the production.
Take a look at these guys, the way they stand, they are the McCoy, real working men not some dentists or manicurists moonlighting as extras for a lark.
I'd bet my US Open Spiro Agnew autographed tennis ball, encased in plastic, bought at a garage sale, that the "retiring guy" has no other acting credit.
No need for you to lose your Spiro Agnew tennis ball over this. :P :lol:

Actually the "retired guy" has no other credit (acting or otherwise), period. So I believe he really was an extra and not some crew member on the MPI team that was retiring. He was solely used to advance the plot. The humor is actually not with him but with the burly guys who stampede over Mag. That's the part that's supposed to give us a chuckle. :lol: Hence why they would gather such a large number of extras (as you say). It's certainly not to just give some old guy an opportunity to say "I'm retired". It's for the stampede scene. That's what makes that whole scene work, including the funny "Wallace McNerdy" bit preceding the stampede. :lol:

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#144 Post by Aloha Friday »

Isn't one of the Buzzettes Janis Ward (Rita) from Innocence...a Broad? Sure looks like her...
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#145 Post by Chris109 »

Aloha Friday wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:21 pm Isn't one of the Buzzettes Janis Ward (Rita) from Innocence...a Broad? Sure looks like her...
I'm thinking more like Erika Eleniak.

Fleet Admiral

#146 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Really like this one. Both times that I saw it. I just like baseball in general and seeing the high stakes involved here (Robin's Nest on the chopping block) adds a real sense of urgency and worry. Of course we know that everything will turn out fine in the end but I like the twist here that it's not actually them winning the game that saves them. In fact they lose the game (which is more true to life, as opposed to a last minute miracle like you often see in TV/movies) but TM finds a different way of saving Robin's Nest. I like the "Killer Kapowicz" character with his short temper but an ace player. Poor Rick is the butt of jokes again - a terrible player. :( Dick Shawn played a real cad here as Buzz - I wish he got a bigger comeuppance than he did at the end. Surprise visit from Robin Masters at the end was cool too. Again, Higgy IS NOT Robin!