1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 113

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

A Magnum fan recently emailed an important note about this episode:

Higgins casually mentions that he has a Victoria Cross medal, the UK's highest medal of honor for bravery in combat!

I had a vague recollection of this being mentioned from years ago. I've been keeping an eye out for it as I revisit these episodes, but couldn't find it until now (thanks to Stephen Huntley). I must have watched this episode two or three times since the DVD came out, but somehow I still managed to miss this important reference! :oops:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

Actually, he doesn't casually mention it; it was more of an exclamation. When Higgins walks into the study, he finds Buzz conducting a photo shoot of one of his Buzzettes, who was wearing only Higgins' Victoria Cross. :shock:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL!

He didn't mention that part, and I didn't check the episode yet. I remember that scene, but I don't remember the Victoria Cross reference. How in the world did I miss that?! :?

In any event, I now finally know the episode, and the context, of the Victoria Cross reference! All the relevant pages have been updated. Phew, I feel better now. ;)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

I would love to know where they filmed the softball game scenes. rubber chicken, Sam, anyone?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Sam »

James,
I may be wrong but I think it was at Kapaolono Park on Maunaloa Ave between 11th and 12th ave..The key here is to check the houses in left and right fields. It sounds like a job for RC.

If that is wrong..that location was used for the basketball shots in the episode where TC's buddy (the stunt guy) was killed in the store.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#16 Post by rubber chicken »

You're right Sam, the houses check out and it's the only baseball field which has that view of Diamond Head. (gm link)

And you're also correct about the basketball courts from Round and Around (6.6) - I posted some screen caps in that thread. They're right next to each other.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

You guys are awesome! Thanks!

There's that marker again, Diamond Head. Man, how cool would it be to play a softball game with Diamond Head in the background! I play a game and I'm looking at a sea of identical, aluminum-siding, houses, like something out of a David Lynch movie! ;)

I'm adding this to my list of things to visit when I make my long-awaited next visit to Oahu.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is a USC cap?

It's the right colors, but I've never seen the USC logo look like this and I can't seem to find anything online to verify it. :?

And this is Taphie, the Buzzette...

That is all. ;)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#19 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not this is a USC cap?

It's the right colors, but I've never seen the USC logo look like this and I can't seem to find anything online to verify it. :?

Yeah, that is a USC (Southern Cal) cap. If you go to uscbookstore.com and look under "Apparel" (Hats) and you will see a cap (New08 Card Baseball Hat) with the same interlocking "SC" as seen on Magnum's. You will also find other items with the same "SC" logo.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, thanks IH. I obviously didn't look hard enough. Glad to know he's not wearing a Gamecocks hat. ;)

eeyore
Admiral

#21 Post by eeyore »

Hey, now!! :D

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by lutherhgillis »

IH wrote: "We also see Magnum bat left-handed, which is a little unusual as he is right-handed. "

It's not that unusual in baseball. I played for years and encountered many people who fielded from one strong side and batted from the other. You also see the phenominon of switch hitters where people hit equally well from both sides while fielding from one side only.

Just trying to help...

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by lutherhgillis »

Here's a flub I don't think anyone mentioned. Near the beginning when Higgins is in Magnums pad, Magnum is oiling his glove. Magnum tell Higgins a story about going to the ballpark with his dad and unlce Lyle when he was 10. Magnum's dad died in Korea when Mag was 5 or 6 (Home from the Sea).

BTW, Magnum said his glove is an Al Kaline. If so, it could not have been an Al Kaline glove from Magnum's youth. The design of the glove Magnum is holding is a late 70s or early 80s vintage. If any of you played ball then you will also remember the look of the glove. The Al Kaline gloves I remember from the 60s and 70s were much more basic in design and I think they were Wilson brand not Rawlings.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#24 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:Here's a flub I don't think anyone mentioned. Near the beginning when Higgins is in Magnums pad, Magnum is oiling his glove. Magnum tell Higgins a story about going to the ballpark with his dad and unlce Lyle when he was 10. Magnum's dad died in Korea when Mag was 5 or 6 (Home from the Sea).

BTW, Magnum said his glove is an Al Kaline. If so, it could not have been an Al Kaline glove from Magnum's youth. The design of the glove Magnum is holding is a late 70s or early 80s vintage. If any of you played ball then you will also remember the look of the glove. The Al Kaline gloves I remember from the 60s and 70s were much more basic in design and I think they were Wilson brand not Rawlings.
Thats a pretty good spot, lhg....

I'll leave it up to the Flubmaster(r) himself, IH

I've noticed that Magnum sees to quote a lot of things did or said that are quite out of place with him dying when Magnum was 5 or 6. Some of the things that Magnum says his dad told him seem pretty deep to be telling a 5 or 6 year old! Baseball games when he was 10 or 11, etc etc....

I've often wondered how many relatives Magnum has got and what the family tree would look like.

I know James is pretty faithful about documenting relatives in the ep guides....... MAYBE I'll have to go and take a look and compile them all (ala "Magnum Kills").

Gonna be a rainy day here in the "D" anyway......

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by lutherhgillis »

Doc,

I just busted my own 'flub' spot! I watched it again and Magnum actually says, "...my Dad's uncle Lyle" instead of "my Dad and unlce Lyle" . So it was uncle Lyle that took him to the game. The same uncle Lyle that created the castle blitz move in chess, I presume.

What do you guys think about the glove. It looks like a Rawlings to me. It has the red patch on the outside back. I verified that the Al Kaline glove was a Wilson circa 1957-60. Al never endorsed a Rawlings glove.

Luther