6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 113

eeyore
Admiral

#31 Post by eeyore »

Since I grew up a Hoosier, I do know a little about basketball, but I've never been a huge sports fan either. (but I have an excuse I'm a girl)
But now that my job revolves around sports, I owe it to my employer to educate myself and develop a basic interest and the sport in question is football, which to my unexperienced brain seems to be more complex than baseball or basketball. :(
I work at an NFL stadium and I have to attend every home game (thankfully I get paid) We are also home to the local university football team, so I have to go to those games as well.
I NEED to learn football.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by lutherhgillis »

SL,

Thank you. That'll be $250 please for the psycho analysis. How does that make you feel? :lol: :wink:

It really is cool for those of us who get it and love sports (to a sane degree, at least (no cowbells needed)) to see TV shows depict sports. They rarely do justice to the sports because most folks probably don't care and would never spend time talking about baseball gloves not being the correct brand. That kind of enjoyment of detail makes folks like IH and me 'special', shall we say (or different, anyway).

Thanks for sharing. I hope you didn't mind the joke about the analysis.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by lutherhgillis »

One more thing about sports on TV before you guys kick me off the board. TS was very believable in the softball, basketball, tennis, and volleyball scenes. Not so much in the golf scene during "Forty Years From Sand Island". He is obviously very athletic.
Last edited by lutherhgillis on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#34 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:One more thing about sports on TV before you guys kick me off the board. TS was very believable in the softball, basketball, tennis, and volleyball scenes. Not so much in the golf scene during "Eighth Part of the Village". He is obviously very athletic.
LHG....

You sure it was "Eighth Part of the Village"? I think you're talking "Forty Years From Sand Island"

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#35 Post by SelleckLover »

Luthergillis wrote:
Thank you. That'll be $250 please for the psycho analysis. How does that make you feel? Laughing
Makes me feel good! Uh, can I make that in payments? :D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#36 Post by IslandHopper »

eeyore wrote:I work at an NFL stadium and I have to attend every home game (thankfully I get paid) We are also home to the local university football team, so I have to go to those games as well.
I NEED to learn football.
So you work in Tampa Stadium and you watch the USF Bulls. :x I am a UCF grad and unfortuantely USF has gotten the better part of UCF in football in the "War on I-4." It hasn't been pretty. USF has done an impressive job with their football program.

As you mentioned in your previous post, the NY Yankees hold their spring training right across the street from Tampa Stadium on Dale Mabry. Did you know the Detroit Tigers hold their spring training in Lakeland, which is only about 45 minutes from Tampa? Who knows, maybe you'll run into TS at one of their games. Didn't he play in a game for the Tigers during spring training one year? A few scenes from Mr. Baseball were filmed there. Do you go to many Rays games? I'm watching the Rays play the Oakland A's right now.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Lt. Cook
Commander

#37 Post by Lt. Cook »

Two things stood out to me in this ep. First it is a great character episode - Magnum and TC's reaction to "Is it your stomach" was exactly how my friends would react, and higgins looked perfectly serious and awkward as third base coach. The other thing that sorta surprised me- Magnum Chewing tobacco!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#38 Post by IslandHopper »

Lt. Cook wrote:The other thing that sorta surprised me- Magnum Chewing tobacco!
It was "RED MAN." The funny thing I thought about this was that they tried to hide the product name by covering up the "RED" (I think). I always wondered if you're going to go to the trouble to disguise the name of a product on your show, then why not cover the entire package, container, bottle, can, etc. (like the Dole Pineapple boxes seen in Mr. White Death that were so cleverly [ :roll: ] covered to look like "C"ole pineapples).
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#39 Post by rubber chicken »

Instead of chewing tobacco, Magnum should have used Big League Chew. It would have been perfect for the character of Magnum.

As a kid I used to stuff my face with that gum, to the point where I hardly had room to chew it anymore.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#40 Post by Doc Ibold »

I kinda noticed a little flub.

When the gang is practicing you can see in the background T.C.'s van, the Jimmy AND the Ferrari?

Who brought the Jimmy? Higgins never drives it... so it couldn't be him.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#41 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Maybe one of he production crew drove it to the park :)

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#42 Post by Tom_Magnum »

This episode was alright, but I really found Buzz Benoit and his nephew really annoying. If it were another guy, I would probably rate it 8/10. PS (The Buzzettes are hot).

TM

steadylads
Ensign

#43 Post by steadylads »

I rate this show very high because it is the only time I remember John Hillerman deliberately camping it up. His third base coach antics have me in stitches. There is one scene where Magnum (a real player) steps in the box and checks third. He gives this sort of "I don't believe this" look as Higgins who has been throwing signs left and right gives him a single brush across the shirt pocket. It is one of the best scenes of the banter between the two I have seen and there isn't a word spoken.

I wonder if Higgins as third base coach was an after thought after they started filming.

Classic performance. Thanks Higgy Baby.

VM02
Rear Admiral

#44 Post by VM02 »

I have to agree 100% with what Steady Lads said. I find Hillermans performance in this entire episode to be among my favorites.

"Wow, did you have a double-0 number?"

steadylads
Ensign

#45 Post by steadylads »

No 00# just I-3.