1%

Total votes: 80

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Jororo Farewell (4.11)

#61 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

K Hale wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
K Hale wrote: It was a rhetorical question, to which I had already deduced an answer that made sense.
Sorry K Hale but I'm a bit confused... what exactly was the answer that made sense to you? You said TM "jumped to an interesting conclusion" about the cannibalism taking place in Africa. I highly doubt the writers had TM jump to that conclusion... that just isn't one of his character traits. He was married to a Vietnamese woman, TC is one of his best friends, he was in love with Linda Lee Ellison, etc.
This has been edited and added to since I saw it this morning, so I will answer. The conclusion I drew is the one I referenced above, that TM knows less about the world than Higgins. He was obviously thinking to catch Higgins in a lie, and it didn't work if you look up punji sticks. It's reminiscent of the time he said he was in London "a few times" and thought the Strand was a movie theater. He's trying to look clever. Instead it's just amusing.

Sorry if anyone was offended. I love Thomas but he doesn't know everything.
:lol: Nice try.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by K Hale »

Like I said, I don't take bait.

I realize it's the thing nowadays to try to make everything about race, however my mission in life is to make everything about Higgins. :wink: I am a little surprised that this is where everyone's mind went but I put it down to the climate we're having to live in. Anything can be twisted in any direction if one's agenda is attractive enough, but Occam's Razor indicates Higgins was writing about Burma.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Laohu »

Not a bad episode Magnum is always better when it sticks to small stories and does not spread itself to thin . I would have liked to see them stay away from the automatic weapons fire when they tried to abduct Danny it seemed unnecessary to the story and a bit over the top to me .

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by ENSHealy »

K Hale wrote:Occam's Razor indicates Higgins was writing about Burma.
Perhaps Thomas is confusing events and stories he heard on Frenchman's Island, one episode ago, when, shortly after Rick mentions cannibals and says that Higgins was probably boiling in a pot, they find Higgins and Higgins asks them, "Must the 3 of you act like cannibals?" Higgins then begins to recount the time he was stranded on an island off the north coast of Africa.

So maybe cannibals and Africa are still all mixed up in Thomas' mind. It surely can't help that he recently has taken machine gun fire from the back of a produce truck and was so at wit's end about Danny's troubles that he was on his way to procure advice from Higgins.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote:
K Hale wrote:Occam's Razor indicates Higgins was writing about Burma.
Perhaps Thomas is confusing events and stories he heard on Frenchman's Island, one episode ago, when, shortly after Rick mentions cannibals and says that Higgins was probably boiling in a pot, they find Higgins and Higgins asks them, "Must the 3 of you act like cannibals?" Higgins then begins to recount the time he was stranded on an island off the north coast of Africa.

So maybe cannibals and Africa are still all mixed up in Thomas' mind. It surely can't help that he recently has taken machine gun fire from the back of a produce truck and was so at wit's end about Danny's troubles that he was on his way to procure advice from Higgins.
This is the most sensible thing I’ve seen today. Explains everything.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by ENSHealy »

4.11 JORORO FAREWELL
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking: 3
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 6
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/390884830

Potential magnumania usernames: Dr. FBI, Lord Tewskbury, Matilda

New Flub: Louis XV. After T.C. makes a crack about the king cutting the Jororo coach like the Giants did in 74, the coach replies “No, like Robespierre did to Louis XV in '89.” However, it was Louis XVI and he wasn’t dispatched until 1793. Louis the XV died of smallpox in 1774.

Thomas apparently has two different SEAL hats. You have to look close, but the camo pattern is different from the one he wore in The Look:
Image Image
ImageImage
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

K Hale wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm That could be assumed, but we must consider that it would mean Higgins was lying, which I don't believe. Combined with the fact that punji sticks are native to where Higgins did serve, my take on it is that Magnum heard "cannibals" and jumped to an interesting conclusion.
Well, Magnum's conclusion that the events took place in Africa is probably a conclusion most of us would make. We know Higgins was in Africa on numerous campaigns and cannibal kings is something that conjures up the African continent. Haven't you ever read or seen KING SOLOMON'S MINES?

But I do take the position that Higgins did mention Africa earlier in his narration and used the punji sticks to embellish his story. So TM actually was "clever" in this case in catching the punji sticks fib. That aside, why wouldn't Africa have punji sticks? Isn't it just a sharpened piece of wood? I don't think it refers to a particular type of wood. Usually it's sharpened bamboo but could be anything really.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Another thought just occurred to me. Higgins talks about Lord Tewksbury and the cannibal king fighting to the death. If Tewksbury won, it would mean the men's freedom. But then Higgins says that Tewksbury never knew what hit him. So if he died then how did Higgins and the men get out alive? Why weren't they all cooked to a simmering boil? :lol:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#69 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm
K Hale wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm That could be assumed, but we must consider that it would mean Higgins was lying, which I don't believe. Combined with the fact that punji sticks are native to where Higgins did serve, my take on it is that Magnum heard "cannibals" and jumped to an interesting conclusion.
Well, Magnum's conclusion that the events took place in Africa is probably a conclusion most of us would make. We know Higgins was in Africa on numerous campaigns and cannibal kings is something that conjures up the African continent. Haven't you ever read or seen KING SOLOMON'S MINES?

But I do take the position that Higgins did mention Africa earlier in his narration and used the punji sticks to embellish his story. So TM actually was "clever" in this case in catching the punji sticks fib. That aside, why wouldn't Africa have punji sticks? Isn't it just a sharpened piece of wood? I don't think it refers to a particular type of wood. Usually it's sharpened bamboo but could be anything really.
I don’t know that there wasn’t something similar to punji sticks in Africa at some time, but I do know that the term “punji stick” and the first recorded use of said weapon was in Asia, not Africa. It was specifically referenced in Burma, by the British Indian Army, and the word is of South Asian origin. I also know that TM would be quite familiar with the weapon as they were also widely used by the Vietcong during the war.

Ivan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#70 Post by Ivan »

Flub check:

After the first game between TCs team and Jororo, the Jororo coach says if they lose the big game he’ll be cut like Robespierre did Louis 15th. But he should have said Louis 16th (XVI). Did I mishear 15 for 16?

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:18 pm
New Flub: Louis XV. After T.C. makes a crack about the king cutting the Jororo coach like the Giants did in 74, the coach replies “No, like Robespierre did to Louis XV in '89.” However, it was Louis XVI and he wasn’t dispatched until 1793. Louis the XV died of smallpox in 1774.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

502-to-right
Lieutenant Commander

Re:

#72 Post by 502-to-right »

lutherhgillis wrote: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:45 pm More on the baseball glove used by Magnum... When Magnum pulls into the estate near the beginning of the epi, he stops to talk to Danny. Danny notices Mag's glove and says it is an Al Kaline like his. Neither glove is an Al Kaline model since they were only made by Wilson. Magnum's glove is a Rawlings and I'm not sure about Danny's but its not a Wilson.
Danny's glove is a MacGregor, as indicated by the crown shaped cutout on the wrist strap. However, the MacGregor label has been removed as was common in TV shows of the day.