1%

Total votes: 85

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: No More Mr. Nice Guy (4.13)

#76 Post by KingKC »

K Hale wrote:
KingKC wrote:
K Hale wrote:Couldn’t it be four academic years?
63-64
64-65
65-66
66-67
Football is played in the fall semester, so there would have to be a 67/68 academic year to have a 67 season. Granted the players could have finished in the fall of 67 leaving 4.5 years to graduate.
Ah, OK. Well, maybe they did take 5 years. After all, Magnum didn’t have Goldie Morris around to tutor him. :wink:
Good one!!!!!

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#77 Post by Lord Ickenham »

Although, I loved the ending, but how did Higgins know the result of the game? He hasn't ever liked the American sports (maybe he is rather like the rugby).

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by K Hale »

Lord Ickenham wrote:Although, I loved the ending, but how did Higgins know the result of the game? He hasn't ever liked the American sports (maybe he is rather like the rugby).
Saw it on the news? Either that or one of the others mentioned it when he was present.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Chris109 »

K Hale wrote:
Lord Ickenham wrote:Although, I loved the ending, but how did Higgins know the result of the game? He hasn't ever liked the American sports (maybe he is rather like the rugby).
Saw it on the news? Either that or one of the others mentioned it when he was present.
Everybody has, once their lives, gone ahead and watched something they had no interest in just because of someone else's interest in it. For example; soccer, or even the Mag reboot.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by K Hale »

Chris109 wrote:
K Hale wrote:
Everybody has, once their lives, gone ahead and watched something they had no interest in just because of someone else's interest in it. For example; soccer, or even the Mag reboot.

I think that's the fastest Higgie Baby ever moved in these eight years. Karma would come back around to him, though; in "Photo Play" he did not get to see the end of the snooker tournament because he himself accidentally recorded a baseball game instead.

I have watched things I had no interest in, but I never can stay awake while watching it. I've slept through innumerable sporting events, horror flicks, rom coms, "Gone With the Wind," etc.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#81 Post by Lord Ickenham »

I confess, I have never interested seeing sports. I liked to play soccer at my childhood, I played tennis and table-tennis, but I don't watch tv sports too often.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Chris109 »

K Hale wrote:
I have watched things I had no interest in, but I never can stay awake while watching it. I've slept through innumerable sporting events, horror flicks, rom coms, "Gone With the Wind," etc.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by ENSHealy »

KingKC wrote:
K Hale wrote:
KingKC wrote:
K Hale wrote:Couldn’t it be four academic years?
63-64
64-65
65-66
66-67
Football is played in the fall semester, so there would have to be a 67/68 academic year to have a 67 season. Granted the players could have finished in the fall of 67 leaving 4.5 years to graduate.
Ah, OK. Well, maybe they did take 5 years. After all, Magnum didn’t have Goldie Morris around to tutor him. :wink:
Good one!!!!!
Is there a fall/winter commencement at the Naval Academy? And if there is, does a December 67 graduate count as "Class of 67"? In Lest We Forget, Judge Caine says that he had Magnum checked out, despite Robin's recommendation, and mentions "Annapolis, class of '67. Three tours in Vietnam." I can only assume, when people say "Class of XX" they are usually referring to the spring graduations?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by ENSHealy »

4.13 NO MORE MR. NICE GUY
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1 Red jungle bird
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 1 33:15
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1 3:00
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks: 1 6:35
Magnumometer: 5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/391373724
Flubs wrote:When Magnum and Carol are being chased by the two bad guys in the office building, they enter a stairwell and descend one flight of stairs. They then exit the stairwell and find themselves on the roof of the building! Is there an invisible floor above the roof?
I don’t think this is a flub. There are lots of buildings that are different heights in different sections of the building, especially those that are wider at the bottom floors with a central tower that goes higher. Carol and Magnum go through an emergency exit that opens onto the 3rd floor parking level, which is wider than the higher (including 4th) floors of the building. The stairs are centrally located to run through all floors.

The footage of TC and Magnum driving by Chinaman’s Hat is recycled footage from Did you See the Sunrise.

Magnum is hit on the head and falls to the floor. He wakes up on Carol’s couch. How did he get to the couch?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote:Magnum is hit on the head and falls to the floor. He wakes up on Carol’s couch. How did he get to the couch?
And who hit him?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

80s Big Hair
Admiral

Re:

#86 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Tuan Vu wrote:Just one bit of trivia: The Midshipmen won that 1967 game 19-14 in Philadelphai, PA. Source:

http://forwhattheygaveonsaturdayafterno ... y-football

Way to go, Magnum!
I just looked that up out of boredom after watching this episode. Magnum's stats (3 TD) would fit into the actual score if all of Navy's scores were TDs and they had only one extra point. Not that anyone should care; there is no reason why Magnum's stats should have been possible in the real game. That would be like expecting Magnum's name to be the same as the real QB in 1967.

stever
Lieutenant Commander

#87 Post by stever »

The song heard at the beginning in the background when Magnum and TC are playing catch is Navy Blue and Gold, the Navy Alma Mater. You also hear another brief version of it when Magnum is chasing down the guy at the end on the beach. It was my high school's fight song. SR

Blackmamba
Lieutenant

#88 Post by Blackmamba »

This is one of my least favorite episodes, since Carol’s manipulation is way above and beyond any that TM does.
His little manipulations aren’t so contrived. I know after all these years it shouldn’t make me mad, but really… calling Higgins, Rick and TC and lying?
I agree with another poster that this was lazy writing. And I could never forget what Carol did, and it soured me towards her character for the rest of the series. I would have preferred to see TM make the game and have a good mystery to solve during the visit.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this last night and noticed on this thread that I gave it my worst score ever (6 - pretty bad) when I re-watched this 10 years ago but I didn't comment, so I'll remedy that now:

I hate everything about the Carol Baldwin character ! From her relentless lies/manipulation to her fake "drunk acting", her ridiculous greying poodle hair and her justification of her behaviour when her lies were discovered with TM does the same.

This reminds me why I detest any episode with her in it so much.

Now I feel better for having got that off my chest. :)

Blackmamba
Lieutenant

#90 Post by Blackmamba »

This is my least favorite episode! Every time it comes on I 😬!