5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 92

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Paradise Blues (4.15)

#61 Post by Little Garwood »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:35 am Agree with you there even though I’ve no idea who Chuck Mangione is - what you can figure out is the guy can play and is clearly no actor.
“Feels So Good” is everything most people “need” to know about Chuck Mangione.

youtu.be/V7dg8vRDM68

For those of us of a certain age, the song is a vivid ‘70s memory, or at least the background music of one.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#62 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:01 am
charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:35 am Agree with you there even though I’ve no idea who Chuck Mangione is - what you can figure out is the guy can play and is clearly no actor.

youtu.be/V7dg8vRDM68

For those of us of a certain age, the song is a vivid ‘70s memory, or at least the background music of one.
I knew him as the annoying horn guy from Magnum, P.I. until your post. Even I, who knows little of music, has heard that song many times. I never had a name attached to it though. The song to me seemed to be everywhere in my childhood, but that is probably just how I remember things.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by charybdis1966 »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:01 am

youtu.be/V7dg8vRDM68

That sounds like something I’ve heard in various 70’s/early 80’s based movies, perhaps something like the Clint Eastwood film The Gauntlet ?
Some nifty jazz guitar going on in that track too. Nice.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Little Garwood »

80s Big Hair wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:48 pmI knew him as the annoying horn guy from Magnum, P.I. until your post. Even I, who knows little of music, has heard that song many times. I never had a name attached to it though. The song to me seemed to be everywhere in my childhood, but that is probably just how I remember things.
Instrumentals (and scents) imo evoke a time and place better than anything else.
charybdis1966 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:30 amThat sounds like something I’ve heard in various 70’s/early 80’s based movies, perhaps something like the Clint Eastwood film The Gauntlet ?
Some nifty jazz guitar going on in that track too. Nice.
I haven’t watched The Gauntlet in years, but I know that Jerry Fielding—one of my musical heroes—did the score. I always thought that Ian Freebairn-Smith’s Magnum theme sounded Fieldingesque.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Ivan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#65 Post by Ivan »

The way this episode unfolds and ends puts it high on my list. The way the camera pulls away from TC and Magnum at the end and goes into the photos… very dramatic and moving

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by ENSHealy »

Ivan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:00 pm The way this episode unfolds and ends puts it high on my list. The way the camera pulls away from TC and Magnum at the end and goes into the photos… very dramatic and moving
Watching Charge! at lunch too, huh? But you're absolutely right... unfortunately it is somewhat ruined for me by the fact they didn't find a way to edit out/around the explosive charge and/or smoke bomb that goes off well before the car hits the cliff. Such an obvious flub really takes the shine off the ending for me.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:23 pm The "smoke before the explosion" has always bugged me too....so I fixed it!

https://vimeo.com/391991204

https://vimeo.com/391990577

Too lazy to separate the audio and re-do it to match as well, but you get the idea. Also, I never liked the photos at the end. Seemed too melodramatic, and as others have said here, a poor job was done building an emotional foundation for her and their relationship, so I really didn't care. Frankly, I was glad she'd take herself out of T.C.'s life. I would have just had the Bellisario credit run over a freeze frame of them standing on the cliff.

P.S. I think the car crash come as such a shock because it come so soon in the chase. If they'd have stretched the chase out a little, I think we'd have been more ready for it. That's where the extra time should have been spent, not in the photo montage at the end. Although, I have to say the shocking suddenness of the car going over the cliff is part of it's effectiveness, so maybe they did that part right.

- Magnum Monday Morning Quarterback.
It bothered me so much I tried fixing it myself.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Ivan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#68 Post by Ivan »

Yes! I watch at lunch when I can! Love it!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I just watched "Paradise Blues" for the very first time! Never seen it before. I liked it. I'd never place it anywhere near the worst of the series. It's TC-centric and I like TC and stories that revolve around him. Love/romance and a broken heart is something most can identify with. I for one love the way it ends. Very gutsy at a time when pretty much every detective/action show ended on a happy note. That's what makes MPI great. It took chances. You never knew what was coming. Once TM wasted Ivan you knew anything was possible. That was a game changer. Also I have to say that the ending with the car plunging off the cliff has got to be the single most impressive action set piece of the whole series! I noticed that the charges inside the car exploded prematurely while the car was still mid-flight, before it hit the rocks below. But that still doesn't detract from the awesomeness of that whole scene. If I'm not mistaken that was filmed along the winding road/path which goes down from the Makapu'u Lighthouse lookout. I walked that path (cars are not allowed there now) when I was there on my last visit hiking up to the Makapu'u lookout. I wonder what kind of clean-up they normally did after filming such a scene. There must have been debris from the car everywhere. Did they use a crane to lift what was left of the car all the way up? Do they clean up all the scattered debris? Since it's kind of a historic/protected landmark. Or maybe things were more lax in the 80s. Wonder if you went down there if you'd still be able to find some pieces of the car. :)