5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 97

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Return of Luther Gillis (4.16)

#61 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:02 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:46 pm The Return of Luther Gillis
Saw this one for the very first time and really enjoyed it. Actually even more (I think) than the first Luther Gillis episode. The first one just had Eugene Roche but this one also has the added bonus of Sheree North as Blanche. I didn't even count on enjoying her as much as him but she was every bit as memorable as ol' Luther. Her back and forth with Higgy in the shack while they're tied up is a hoot. :lol: He keeps blasting her and she thinks he's paying her compliments. Then he agrees with her and she thinks he's disagreeing. :lol: Her stories from the past aggravate Higgy, yet he himself is the biggest offender ever in this department - telling long-winded stories that no one cares about. Plus all the other great gags - Dot Matrix, Big Sal with the frying pan, Geoffrey Lewis with his hot dog shirt, the return of Scrung-O, Higgy's karate chop, and so many great lines really put this one above the first Luther episode. This is clearly an all-out comedy episode so you can't take any of it seriously and you'll have a blast!
Ivan,
You have now compelled me to go back and watch this episode today. If there was a Scrung-o emoji, I would give you five out of five on the Scrung-o scale for your post.

Somewhere on these boards somebody once claimed that the actor playing Scrung-o appeared on a Hawaii Five-0. I have yet to spot him.
Maybe he appeared on one of the last two seasons' episodes that are never rerun?
Who knows perhaps his Scrung-o character originated on Hawaii Five-O, as I recall wasn't there also a minor cop character who appeared on both series?
I would have loved to have seen McGarrett collar him and say, "Got ya, Scrung-o, book him, murder one!"
Ask and ye shall receive. :) Here you go, Dobie! Scrung-o on Five-O: https://ibb.co/k9WWSmm

Looking much more dignified than on MPI. :) This is from the season 1 episode "Up Tight" (this is the famous psychedelic drug tripping episode) with Ed Flanders as a drug-dispensing guru, which results in a girl at the start of the episode to leap off a cliff into the ocean under the influence of those drugs. It's not a favorite of mine but it sure is a trippy episode with some far-out camera angles and POV shots which really put you into the shoes of the person suffering from these drug-induced hallucinations. Definitely a product of its time - the late 60s drug culture scene. Anyway, Scrung-o has a small part here as a Dr. Fuller who treats these druggies at this hospital/rehab center. The actor's name is James C. Bertino.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Return of Luther Gillis (4.16)

#62 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:54 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:02 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:46 pm The Return of Luther Gillis
Saw this one for the very first time and really enjoyed it. Actually even more (I think) than the first Luther Gillis episode. The first one just had Eugene Roche but this one also has the added bonus of Sheree North as Blanche. I didn't even count on enjoying her as much as him but she was every bit as memorable as ol' Luther. Her back and forth with Higgy in the shack while they're tied up is a hoot. :lol: He keeps blasting her and she thinks he's paying her compliments. Then he agrees with her and she thinks he's disagreeing. :lol: Her stories from the past aggravate Higgy, yet he himself is the biggest offender ever in this department - telling long-winded stories that no one cares about. Plus all the other great gags - Dot Matrix, Big Sal with the frying pan, Geoffrey Lewis with his hot dog shirt, the return of Scrung-O, Higgy's karate chop, and so many great lines really put this one above the first Luther episode. This is clearly an all-out comedy episode so you can't take any of it seriously and you'll have a blast!
Ivan,
You have now compelled me to go back and watch this episode today. If there was a Scrung-o emoji, I would give you five out of five on the Scrung-o scale for your post.

Somewhere on these boards somebody once claimed that the actor playing Scrung-o appeared on a Hawaii Five-0. I have yet to spot him.
Maybe he appeared on one of the last two seasons' episodes that are never rerun?
Who knows perhaps his Scrung-o character originated on Hawaii Five-O, as I recall wasn't there also a minor cop character who appeared on both series?
I would have loved to have seen McGarrett collar him and say, "Got ya, Scrung-o, book him, murder one!"
Ask and ye shall receive. :) Here you go, Dobie! Scrung-o on Five-O: https://ibb.co/k9WWSmm

Looking much more dignified than on MPI. :) This is from the season 1 episode "Up Tight" (this is the famous psychedelic drug tripping episode) with Ed Flanders as a drug-dispensing guru, which results in a girl at the start of the episode to leap off a cliff into the ocean under the influence of those drugs. It's not a favorite of mine but it sure is a trippy episode with some far-out camera angles and POV shots which really put you into the shoes of the person suffering from these drug-induced hallucinations. Definitely a product of its time - the late 60s drug culture scene. Anyway, Scrung-o has a small part here as a Dr. Fuller who treats these druggies at this hospital/rehab center. The actor's name is James C. Bertino.
Holy crap, I would never have spotted him all cleaned up like that. Okay then, season one's "Up Tight" with James C. Bertino aka Scrung-o is now on my watch list. Thank you for the info.