T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did You See the Sunrise? (1) (3.1)

#91 Post by T.Q. »

ENSHealy wrote:
4th wall breaks: 2

Yikes.

Just watched.

Only caught the 1 on the way to Luau Louie’s.

Argh.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by ENSHealy »

T.Q. wrote:
ENSHealy wrote:4th wall breaks: 2
Yikes.

Just watched.

Only caught the 1 on the way to Luau Louie’s.

Argh.
It's very quick, in fact I had to slow it down to frame-by-frame to make sure it actually was one. I think it is, he's definitely looking into the camera after checking around the surf ski for "big fish."

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:3.1 DID YOU SEE THE SUNRISE?
Hawaiian shirts: 0
Island Hopper shirts: 1 light blue with white logo
Body Count: 2 Cookie, Mac
Shirtless: 1 – but by TC!
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 1 – but TC does it for him when speaking to Nuzo.
Magnum gunshot wounds: 0
Higgins musings: 1 – Tanker Moran
Negotiations: 0
Famous guest stars: .5 James Whitmore Jr.
Magnumometer: 8.5
Updated Magnumometer:
3.1 DID YOU SEE THE SUNRISE
Hawaiian shirts: 0
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 1 light blue with white logo
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Shirtless: 1 – but by TC!
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 1
Higgins musings: 1
Negotiations: 0
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Higgins Organizations:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 7

Potential magnumania usernames: Tanker Morand, Kiki Kahuna, Cookie (taken), Ivan (not taken!), Inter Island Shipping

Magnumometer moments: https://vimeo.com/375825564

I decided James Whitmore Jr. wasn't famous enough to qualify as a famous guest star.

The subtitles say "Morand" instead of "Moran."

If Nuzo was a KGB plant, would they go as far as injuring his leg so bad that he still has a limp 10 years later? I suppose it was a good way of convincing Magnum and TC of his bona fides, but it still had me wondering.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

rgholmes
Lieutenant Commander

#94 Post by rgholmes »

Watching this and part 2 on the Charge! channel this morning and Ivan’s racial slur was beeped out - with an audible “beeeeeep,” not a loss of volume like you normally have nowadays. In the subtitles, it is replaced with asterisks.
"Because it's HOW you make the transitions that's as important as making them."
-T.S. Magnum IV, "Transitions"

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#95 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Wow. I caught this on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries earlier this week and whoa was it butchered. For starters, it is condensed to one hour (40 mins. or whatever the runtime is for an hour show). It came to my attention in another thread that Hallmark is known for cutting stuff out to comply with their family friendly standards. Never really noticing this before as I am working when it is on and generally not paying much attention, I asked in the other thread how Hallmark handled this episode. Now I have the answer. I suspected that the Vietnam flashback with Ivan taunting T.C. repeatedly calling him a certain word would out and out be cut and not just dubbed over, but I never thought they would cut it to the point of eliminating half of the content. Heck, that scene really surprised me watching it as an adult for the first time (on DVD) earlier this year.

Please do not get all outraged over this. Hallmark has every right to do that even if it offends your sense of "art." Stick with the DVDs. To be fair, the two episodes combined into one actually sort of worked, just it is not what I wanted.

To the episode(s) in question in general, it is pretty high up on my ranking of episodes. What dragged it down for me was the whole "Manchurian Candidate" angle which I did not buy into. That was more than made up for in the final scene of 3.2. What a way to open up the third season!

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Without a doubt one of the best episodes of the whole series.

Another masterpiece signed Bellisario with all the ingredients for success:

- a brilliant scenario, intense and with a well-balanced plot;
- a realization without dead time, well conducted;
- some dramatic moments that are particularly gripping
- a very charismatic, classy and icy villain (yes, yes, I'm talking about you Ivan!).
- a legendary ending scene!

Of course, there are some small flaws, which have already been pointed out here. IMO, i would notice:

- With the exception of the bubble gum, it's hard to believe that (Edit) T.C. (Terry in the French dubbed version) could have been so 'remote-controlled' against his will so quickly and without intense and lengthty conditioning;
- Unless he was a fanatical KGB agent, how did Nuzo think he'd get away with that situation?
- The scene of the shooting is a very important element of action to give rhythm and dramatization, but one wonders how Ivan managed to be on the lookout at exactly the right time and place? Unless Terry was also manipulated by Nuzo for this purpose in order to 'drop' TM here?
Last edited by Gorilla Mask on Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:32 pm Without a doubt one of the best episodes of the whole series.

Another masterpiece signed Bellisario with all the ingredients for success:

- a brilliant scenario, intense and with a well-balanced plot;
- a realization without dead time, well conducted;
- some dramatic moments that are particularly gripping
- a very charismatic, classy and icy villain (yes, yes, I'm talking about you Ivan!).
- a legendary ending scene!

Of course, there are some small flaws, which have already been pointed out here. IMO, i would notice:

- With the exception of the bubble gum, it's hard to believe that Terry could have been so 'remote-controlled' against his will so quickly and without intense and lengthty conditioning;
- Unless he was a fanatical KGB agent, how did Nuzo think he'd get away with that situation?
- The scene of the shooting is a very important element of action to give rhythm and dramatization, but one wonders how Ivan managed to be on the lookout at exactly the right time and place? Unless Terry was also manipulated by Nuzo for this purpose in order to 'drop' TM here?
Hi Gorilla, since when did T.C. become Terry? :lol: I think he would take offense to that name.

More school-boy tricks?

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Oopsss ! You're right ! 'Terry' is the French name for 'TC' Character' in the dubbed version... ! With my apologies... :roll:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#99 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:37 am Oopsss ! You're right ! 'Terry' is the French name for 'TC' Character' in the dubbed version... ! With my apologies... :roll:
Interesting! I had no idea. Are initials not a common thing in France?

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#100 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:13 pm
Gorilla Mask wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:37 am Oopsss ! You're right ! 'Terry' is the French name for 'TC' Character' in the dubbed version... ! With my apologies... :roll:
Hey Pahonu !

Your guessing is absolutely right. Use of initials for nicknames is almost unknown for frenchs... For example for a boy named with a french origin first name such as ' Jean Michel' , one would hardly call him 'JM'. In the other hand, we use much more often shortened first names (such as 'Jean-Mi' in our example).

A woman named 'Dominique' would very often 'respond' with 'Domi'.

French people enjoy also to convert First names in a familiar and most often affectionate way: Gérard, would become "Gégé" and Bernard... "Nanard"... Hu... 'Ridicule does not kill' as we say... :lol: :lol:

In our case, since Theodore Calvin was an endearing character, it was 'called' 'Terry'... So, no insult here... from a french point of view... 8)

Pahonu

#101 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:38 pm
Hey Pahonu !

Your guessing is absolutely right. Use of initials for nicknames is almost unknown for frenchs... For example for a boy named with a french origin first name such as ' Jean Michel' , one would hardly call him 'JM'. In the other hand, we use much more often shortened first names (such as 'Jean-Mi' in our example).

French people enjoy also to convert First names in a familiar and most often affectionate way: Gérard, would become "Gégé" and Bernard... "Nanard"... Hu... 'Ridicule does not kill' as we say... :lol: :lol:

In our case, since Theodore Calvin was an endearing character, it was 'called' 'Terry'... So, no insult here... from a french point of view... 8)

Hey GM,

Very interesting indeed. In the US, the nickname for Theodore is typically Teddy or Theo, not Terry. The 26th US President, Theodore Roosevelt was known as Teddy, but he actually preferred TR. :lol:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:56 pm
Gorilla Mask wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:38 pm
Hey Pahonu !

Hey GM,

Very interesting indeed. In the US, the nickname for Theodore is typically Teddy or Theo, not Terry. The 26th US President, Theodore Roosevelt was known as Teddy, but he actually preferred TR. :lol:
In my opinion, when first season was planned to be released in France (summer of '81), the dubbing team felt uncomfortable with "T.C.' which sounded as 'Tissee' ... which has no counterpart in French... Terry was quite near in terms of pronunciation and yet recognizable to the French audience. However, 'Terry' or Teri is also commonly used in the US for women (such as Teri Hatcher 8) )... But French dubbers are unaware of that ! :D :roll:

Such adaptation in the field was very common :wink:

Pahonu

#103 Post by Pahonu »

The American actor Terry Crews somehow reminds me of TC! 😉 It’s both a male and female name here, often short for Terrance in the male case, if I’m not mistaken.

https://ibb.co/XVB8CqX

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Very muscular (even in comparison with our T.C.) and, obviously, well equipped ! 8)

My previous statement is now tending to become less and less relevant. Anglo saxon influence is gaining grounds nowodays in France. So, some first names are sometimes replaced by their initials but that is still rare. I know two work colleagues named Jean François. In the office we are sometimes calling them "J.F." ("Jiheffe"), the american way. :wink:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by K Hale »

I’m always curious about why Magnum used TC’s helicopter to start his surf ski exercise in this episode. I understand he wanted to go 6 miles, but would it not be more cost effective to simply paddle out 3 miles and then back 3 miles, rather than hire a helicopter to drop you 6 miles out? No wonder he was always broke.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!