No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 146

80s Big Hair
Admiral

Re: Did You See the Sunrise? (1) (3.1)

#106 Post by 80s Big Hair »

K Hale wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:37 pm I’m always curious about why Magnum used TC’s helicopter to start his surf ski exercise in this episode. I understand he wanted to go 6 miles, but would it not be more cost effective to simply paddle out 3 miles and then back 3 miles, rather than hire a helicopter to drop you 6 miles out? No wonder he was always broke.
I just watched that scene and Magnum wanted to go that far out so that he could get big swells for a better workout. Rick also could have dropped him off in the boat which would have been cheaper than the chopper. My guess is they had it happen that way so that TC could deliver his big fish line. Then again there is no reason why Rick could not have delivered the line from the boat.

"You ever worry about that?"
"The swells?"
"No, the big fish."
"No."
"It sure would worry me."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#107 Post by Pahonu »

I would guess that TM was just using the most convenient method for himself and TC was being nice and helping him out. Magnum only had to carry his surf ski out to the lawn and get picked up, versus transporting the surf ski to the dock or paddling out to meet the King Kam out in deeper water.

In thinking about the cost of the boat versus the helicopter, if we’re only talking about fuel, depending on how far each has to go, the boat would likely cost more. The Makai Research Pier, where TC’s chopper is shown to be based is very close to the actual estate in reality, just down the highway. If the boat is slipped in Ala Wai Yacht Harbor as has been shown, that’s quite a distance around the southwest coast up to Waimanalo. I’d estimate it at over 15 miles. Kaneohe Yacht Harbor north of Waimanalo is no closer.

It’s also quite a large boat, identified as a Bertram 70, if I recall. It’s a displacement hull with twin diesels perhaps burning as little as 20 gallons per hour at a slow cruise of 10-12 knots, which would take an hour and a half to get there, to over 60 gph at twice that speed. The size is what really makes it so much more costly. It would be far less expensive for a single person to charter TC’s chopper for a two hour flight than to run that boat for two hours for just one person.

A buddy with an inflatable or a jet ski could have taken Magnum out, towing the surf ski behind, for just a few dollars in fuel cost! I know that for certain. I once towed a friend of mine back from near one of the oil platforms here in Long Beach using my inflatable. He was in his wooden kayak that he built himself! His paddle (which he didn’t make) cracked, and then broke completely so he called me from his cell phone. It took me about a half hour to get out to him but it probably would have taken him a couple of hours to get back with the damaged paddle. He picked up the bar tab that afternoon for me and a friend we met at the ABYC. I think I got the better end of the deal. It was a nice day on the water and at the club. :lol:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I've never seen Magnum transporting the surf ski on a vehicle. He couldn't possibly do it on the Ferrari or the Audi. He could only use the "Jimmy", but I don't think it had a roof rack. So that means the only way he could move it is paddling from the beach in front of the Estate. It probably got boring going out from the same location every time.

The question is - how did he get it to the club for the race each year? TC must have flown him each time.

Pahonu

#109 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 pm I've never seen Magnum transporting the surf ski on a vehicle. He couldn't possibly do it on the Ferrari or the Audi. He could only use the "Jimmy", but I don't think it had a roof rack. So that means the only way he could move it is paddling from the beach in front of the Estate. It probably got boring going out from the same location every time.

The question is - how did he get it to the club for the race each year? TC must have flown him each time.
He could have done like the same friend of mine did years ago with a different kayak he had then. He had an old VW diesel Dasher and he put the passenger seat and rear seat down and it hung out the rear window about 6 feet! He tied a red rag to the rudder post. The Jimmy is bigger but a surf ski is also longer???

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:02 pm He could have done like the same friend of mine did years ago with a different kayak he had then. He had an old VW diesel Dasher and he put the passenger seat and rear seat down and it hung out the rear window about 6 feet! He tied a red rag to the rudder post. The Jimmy is bigger but a surf ski is also longer???
Yeah, I had to do that when I picked up my boat after the "disaster". I had to cram it in my Jeep, with half of it hanging out through the driver side window. I had no red flag. Thankfully, there are absolutely no police in my area. I've never heard a police siren or seen a speed trap within 40km of my house.

Pahonu

#111 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:23 pm
Pahonu wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:02 pm He could have done like the same friend of mine did years ago with a different kayak he had then. He had an old VW diesel Dasher and he put the passenger seat and rear seat down and it hung out the rear window about 6 feet! He tied a red rag to the rudder post. The Jimmy is bigger but a surf ski is also longer???
Yeah, I had to do that when I picked up my boat after the "disaster". I had to cram it in my Jeep, with half of it hanging out through the driver side window. I had no red flag. Thankfully, there are absolutely no police in my area. I've never heard a police siren or seen a speed trap within 40km of my house.
I never heard the rest of that story, namely your trek home after going aground.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:38 pm I never heard the rest of that story, namely your trek home after going aground.
That's because it's not suitable for a family audience - too many swears, lots of violence, "adult situations", etc.

No, it's probably because it's still too painful a memory - 25km death-march over gravel roads, barefoot, in pitch black and 12 degree drizzle, wearing short shorts. I feel like putting myself out of my misery just thinking about it.

Pahonu

#113 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:51 pm
Pahonu wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:38 pm I never heard the rest of that story, namely your trek home after going aground.
That's because it's not suitable for a family audience - too many swears, lots of violence, "adult situations", etc.

No, it's probably because it's still too painful a memory - 25km death-march over gravel roads, barefoot, in pitch black and 12 degree drizzle, wearing short shorts. I feel like putting myself out of my misery just thinking about it.
I understand! :shock:

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by eagle »

I'm going through the series again, and I think this is one of the best episodes in the series.

I still think it's terribly sad, but the case is excellent as others have pointed out.

Also, the question raised by the title is a very important one: every day can be our last one, so did you take in the little things? I know I don't always do that, but I strive to.

RodMarsh
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#115 Post by RodMarsh »

Watched this episode recently for the first time in decades. I tend to enjoy the ones with Vietnam backstories. I love everything about this tale, from the elegiac title to Magnum finally doing something radical you don't expect from a TV action hero. Such variety in Magnum PI, both in terms of mood and quality. I feel that this one is up there with the very best. Quite haunting.

jfkennedy54
Ensign

#116 Post by jfkennedy54 »

I always wondered if it was always the plan to bring Mac back as Jim Bonnick later in the series. Jeff MacKay episodes are usually some of my favorites.
Don't look at the Dogs, work the lock....You looked at the Dogs!

waverly2211
Captain

#117 Post by waverly2211 »

jfkennedy54 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:38 pm I always wondered if it was always the plan to bring Mac back as Jim Bonnick later in the series. Jeff MacKay episodes are usually some of my favorites.
It was my understanding that he was written out due to staring Tales of the Golden Monkey, so another insider in Naval Intelligence could be brought in from time to time, Maggie Poole. But that series tanked, only one season, so he was eventually written back in as Jim Bonnick because as you noted, the episodes were good with him in them.

Pahonu

#118 Post by Pahonu »

waverly2211 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:11 pm
jfkennedy54 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:38 pm I always wondered if it was always the plan to bring Mac back as Jim Bonnick later in the series. Jeff MacKay episodes are usually some of my favorites.
It was my understanding that he was written out due to staring Tales of the Golden Monkey, so another insider in Naval Intelligence could be brought in from time to time, Maggie Poole. But that series tanked, only one season, so he was eventually written back in as Jim Bonnick because as you noted, the episodes were good with him in them.
This is my understanding too, I believe from reading it in TV Guide at the time. I remember watching Tales of the Gold Monkey when it aired and really liking it. I was disappointed that it didn’t last. I also remember reading somewhere else at that time that they deliberately made the NIA contact a woman to appeal to more women than just the ones waiting to see Selleck without his shirt! :lol: