5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 143

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did You See the Sunrise? (2) (3.2)

#76 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

karolis wrote:The computer Maggie uses is Teletype model 40:

Thanks for posting that. I never really noticed that (although I was very interested in terminals/computers used in Magnum P.I.) because, unlike in other episodes, you don't really get a clear shot of the keyboard or the monitor - just faked screens.

Even after seeing your screenshot, I didn't quite get the... Mag-nitude of the discovery. I know that keyboard. It's probably the best quality computer/terminal keyboard in Magnum P.I. - followed by the (more common) IBM XT, the Kaypro II and 10 (from the "Dracos III"), and Hazeltine 1500 (used by Mac) & HP 2645 .

Here's a closeup of the Teletype Model 40 keyboard (introduced in 1979 and produced until 1984):

Technically, it's not a computer - it's a terminal/teleprinter. It's realistic that they'd be using this because they were very commonly used by the US military.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Stelth »

https://youtu.be/5HsmOUMARVY
Donald Bellisario discusses this episode

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

OK, I finally got one of these Teletype keyboards.

"That is not Nuzo!"

As you can see, I'm using the Teletype to check the identity of a guy who calls himself "Nuzo", but obviously isn't.

I also typed this post using the keyboard.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: A little bit of everything in this great episode.

#79 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

greg wrote:"Did You See the Sunrise" played on various themes and emotions. This extremely well written episode takes us through the POW issue, our dislike of our old nemesis (the Soviet Union), a Manchurian candidate, a double agent (the most lowly of creatures), drug addition, the loss of a good buddy, and the ultimate decision to take a life in the surprising and gritty end.

You have to love Mac's desire to share the sunrise with his friends, the loss of that chance forever more, Magnum's reflection throughout the show on the sunrises since Mac's murder, and Magnum's question to Ivan regarding that morning's sunrise. Ultimately, the sunrise, rather the loss of Mac's sunrise, is the only justification Magnum has to kill Ivan. Without it Magnum would have had to let Ivan walk.
I love that second paragraph! It's a very spot-on observation! It also shows what a creative and smart writer Donald Bellisario was. He gives Magnum something to emotionally get hung up on - in this case it's something like a sunrise. Which is why the episode name is so appropriate for this episode. It's why Magnum's last line has such impact. It's all about the sunrise. We humans are interesting creatures and we each get hung up on different things and things affect each of us differently. Magnum got hung up on Mac's last line about enjoying the sunrise on the Pali. It's this line that kept brewing inside Magnum every morning, every morning that Mac could no longer enjoy. It's this which ultimately leads Magnum to execute Ivan. A lesser writer would just take the straight-forward approach of the hero mourning the loss of a friend and then exacting his revenge. "You killed my friend so now I will kill you". But with Magnum he's not so much mourning the loss of a friend who won't be around anymore but rather mourning the loss of the sunrises that Mac will no longer enjoy. TM counting those sunrises every morning keeps eating away at him until he knows there is only one thing to do - waste Ivan! That's the mark of a brilliant writer. With a lesser writer the episode would have simply been called "Revenge". But how lucky are we that Bellisario instead gave us "Did You See the Sunrise?". VERY LUCKY!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#80 Post by brianw »

In my opinion, TM was justified in executing Ivan, as he might have saved several lives, including President Reagan.
Last edited by brianw on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
Some might think the following is strictly for the birds but my friend Melody egged me on to share it.
Maybe I am being too picky but I believe this qualifies as a Magnum Flub. During the first interrogation scene with Ivan, the distinctive call of
the laughing Kookaburra is heard. This bird is a native of Australia and is not found in Vietnam.
However the call of the kookaburra is widely used as a stock sound effect in the movies whenever there is a jungle scene, so it's use is understandable.
After it's first use in Tarzan films and the Wizard of Oz, everything from McHales Navy to Flipper(Flipper's "voice" a modified kookaburra call) to
Raiders of the Lost Ark to the most recent Jurassic Park sequel has employed this annoying bird's screech. And now Magnum PI.

"We'd like to welcome all you Mainlanders here to Luau Louie's authentic All-Hawaiian Revue. Remember folks if you like the show tell all your friends back home. If you don't like the show keep your Haole mouth shut"...Emcee
(this always cracks me up)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by K Hale »

They used kookaburras in a couple of episodes. I recall hearing one in “Operation Silent Night.”
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

K Hale wrote:They used kookaburras in a couple of episodes. I recall hearing one in “Operation Silent Night.”
Let's also not forget the jungle scenes in "The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii".

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Stelth »

Kookaburras were constantly heard on Baa Baa Black sheep...a show with several ties to Magnum P.I.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:They used kookaburras in a couple of episodes. I recall hearing one in “Operation Silent Night.”
Hi KHale,
Another Flub noted in addition to mine!
At the Magnum Mania episode guide, I see that the "FLUBS" sections haven't been updated in years.
Now I know that I'm not the only Mania Member whose most secret desire, his number 1 item on his bucket list, is to be immortalized with a
contribution to the "FLUBS' section.
 Magnum Mania Czar Conch, is there any chance I make it in with my ferreting out of the Kookaburra Caper?
    Are you open to bribes?
Perhaps a weekend in the Robins Nest guest house pitching woo to Agatha Chumley might tempt you?
Now I'm not saying she's old but she did shag all five of the Marx Brothers.

"When I burn a bridge even the river disappears"...Tod Stiles(Martin Milner) Route 66

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#86 Post by ConchRepublican »

(Re)Watching the season 4 finale of Justified "Ghosts" and there's a nice parallel to Did You See the Sunrise as Raylan is in the lino talking with Nicky Augustine.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

brianw
Rear Admiral

#87 Post by brianw »

TM was completely justified in killing Ivan. The government knew who Ivan was, so they weren't going to pursue his killer. And TM knew that if he let Ivan go, he would probably attempt to assassinate more people, including President Reagan. So I have no issues with him shooting an unarmed man.
The plot involving the "fake Nuzo" was very thin.
I hated the cover version of "Satisfaction", I wish they would have used the original song.
Maggie was a hottie in her Navy uniform.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by K Hale »

Just rewatched this. DAMN...

I really have nothing new to add, just had to share.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by K Hale »

OK, I do have a comment to make after all. In regard to the Bridge on the River Kwai and the little subplot around Magnum trying to guess what it is. When Magnum enters Higgins' study prior to going out on his surf ski, Higgins is cutting up the matchsticks (in a very Zen fashion). Magnum, in a puckish mood, crowds in and stares pointedly at the long row of matchsticks, then stares expectantly at Higgins. Clearly he wants to know what Higgins is doing, but doesn't ask. Here's where it gets good: If they were two normal, ordinary people, Magnum would say, "Why are you beheading matchsticks?" and Higgins would reply, "I'm going to use them to build a bridge model."

But these aren't two normal, ordinary people.

Instead, they nonverbally agree that they're going to play a game. Magnum makes it 110% clear he wants to know what's going on but won't just ask the question, and Higgins, just as clearly, replies that he's not going to tell him. Magnum will have to guess. While Higgins talks about Tanker Moran, Magnum puts his deductive skills to work and comes up with a theory: Higgins wants use the match heads to make gunpowder for the cannon to salute the Queen on her upcoming birthday. Higgins is impressed by this line of reasoning, but gleefully declares victory in Round 1 by dramatically dumping the nonessential match heads in the trash.

Round 2 winds up in a tie, in a much quieter manner, after the car bomb explosion as Magnum sits in the study and sees the partially built model. He sees a structure is being built, but when Higgins asks him gently if he knows what it is, Magnum naturally returns to the more important subject at hand, Mac's murder.

In the final round, Magnum wins by excitedly declaring "THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI!" Far from defeated, Higgins is pleased that Magnum has recognized what it is, as that means Higgins has done an accurate job rebuilding it entirely from memory (we don't see any plans or drawings).

The bridge model, of course, would continue to play a role in future episodes, being destroyed and rebuilt three times, as well as serving as the gift Higgins gives to Magnum in "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" as he leaves to temporarily take up his spy role with the revolutionaries. That bridge had a lot of meaning.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Nifty911
Captain

#90 Post by Nifty911 »

brianw wrote:TM was completely justified in killing Ivan. The government knew who Ivan was, so they weren't going to pursue his killer. And TM knew that if he let Ivan go, he would probably attempt to assassinate more people, including President Reagan. So I have no issues with him shooting an unarmed man.
The plot involving the "fake Nuzo" was very thin.
I hated the cover version of "Satisfaction", I wish they would have used the original song.
Maggie was a hottie in her Navy uniform.
You know somewhere, they are looking at a picture of "Nuzzo", profile pic with the black ninja garb on.....where did they get that photo from?????