1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 143

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did You See the Sunrise? (2) (3.2)

#91 Post by Chris109 »

brianw wrote: I hated the cover version of "Satisfaction", I wish they would have used the original song.
Maggie was a hottie in her Navy uniform.
This one thing that always irritated me. They rarely used original songs throughout the show. They had to have been making money so I saw no reason why they didn't pay royalties. It was even worse in The Look with Gretchen Corbett being a disc jockey. I think they even used covers for the Beatles.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#92 Post by brianw »

Chris109 wrote:
brianw wrote: I hated the cover version of "Satisfaction", I wish they would have used the original song.
Maggie was a hottie in her Navy uniform.
This one thing that always irritated me. They rarely used original songs throughout the show. They had to have been making money so I saw no reason why they didn't pay royalties. It was even worse in The Look with Gretchen Corbett being a disc jockey. I think they even used covers for the Beatles.

It's one of the biggest reasons I love Miami Vice so much.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by T.Q. »

Anyone know what Magnum says to Ivan?

The first name?

“Who’s next... blank, Thatcher, Reagan?”

I’ve never been able to make it out.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by K Hale »

T.Q. wrote:Anyone know what Magnum says to Ivan?

The first name?

Begin, as in Menachem Begin, prime minister of Israel.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:
T.Q. wrote:Anyone know what Magnum says to Ivan?

The first name?

Begin, as in Menachem Begin, prime minister of Israel.
It's a pity Ivan didn't kill Menachem Begin. Menachem Begin was a filthy terrorist and war criminal, responsible for the King David terrorist attack, the Deir Yassin massacre, and many other shameful atrocities - far far worse than anything the fictional Ivan ever did. (don't believe me - look it up!)

But this is a forum about a TV show, so I won't go on about hideous reality. :P

Remember the USS Liberty!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:3.2 Did You See the Sunrise?
Hawaiian shirts: 0
Island Hopper shirts: 0
Body Count: 2, driver of the tan sedan? Ivan.
Shirtless: 0
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 0
Magnum gunshot wounds: 0
Higgins musings: 2
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations: 0
Famous guest stars: .5 James Whitmore, Jr.
Magnumometer: 5.5
UPDATE - 3.2 DID YOU SEE THE SUNRISE?
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts:
Body Count: 1 Ivan
Bullet wounds:
Shirtless:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: 2
4th wall breaks: .5 since it’s in a flashback
Negotiations:
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Higgins Organizations: 1.5 The Hawaiian Society for Underprivileged Children, and he starts to say British League or Leave but Rick cuts him off.
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 5

Potential magnumania usernames: Maggie

Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/376033158

Potential Flub: Magnum says to Maggie, of Ivan “I met him in North Vietnam.” However, if “Duc Hue” was actually in the Vietnam district of Duc Hue, that is in South Vietnam, not far from Saigon.

Potential Flub: A helicopter is seen in Hawaii with VMO-2 on it. According to Wikipedia at least, VMO-2 was never based in Hawaii, and was based at Camp Pendleton from 1971 until it was deactivated in 1993.

Problematic Photos:

Naval Intelligence is so good, they were able to get a picture of Ivan in their database in front of the very same tree and wearing the very same suit as he does later in the jungle with Magnum! Extraordinary.

This is the view Buck has through the view finder:

This is one of the prints from that shoot:

So…where the hell does this photo come from? (which Maggie later refers to when speaking to Buck as “that surveillance photo you just took.”

And he’s even got it from multiple angles, looking slightly left and slightly right.

When they slide the two photos of “Nuzo” together, Admiral Hawkes says “who the hell is he?” But if you ask me, the two photos seem to line up well enough that they actually could be the same person. The eyes, nose, mouth and ears seem to be aligned perfectly, i.e. no “double vision” effect. The outlines that don’t match are the hairline and the size of the neck, all things that would or could vary over a 17 year period.

And last but not least, it’s always bugged me that TC doesn’t get up and go after Ivan when he’s camping out with Nuzo the night before the attack, when Ivan comes into camp. He goes into this rage, but seems to be paralyzed from the waist down? Is that what the shot was for? To semi-immobilize him? I’d always assumed it was just more mind control drugs.

Of course, none of the above must really bother me that much, as I gave it a 9.5.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Turkey
Admiral

#97 Post by Turkey »

ENSHealy wrote:
ENSHealy wrote:3.2 Did You See the Sunrise?

And last but not least, it’s always bugged me that TC doesn’t get up and go after Ivan when he’s camping out with Nuzo the night before the attack, when Ivan comes into camp. He goes into this rage, but seems to be paralyzed from the waist down? Is that what the shot was for? To semi-immobilize him? I’d always assumed it was just more mind control drugs.

Of course, none of the above must really bother me that much, as I gave it a 9.5.

Yeah, I'd like a little more in the narrative about exactly why he can't/won't move at that point, definitely
Make it two weeks.

TigersHat
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#98 Post by TigersHat »

I am a newbie but why were the Russians trying to kill the Japanese head of state in this one?

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by ENSHealy »

TigersHat wrote:I am a newbie but why were the Russians trying to kill the Japanese head of state in this one?
They never really explain this. The only thing I can come up with is that it's just a part of their overall plan to destabilize the West in general. Create havoc, etc. A direct attack on the U.S. was not possible, but straining the relationship between the U.S. and one of its most important allies would be good.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

TigersHat
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#100 Post by TigersHat »

ENSHealy wrote:
TigersHat wrote:I am a newbie but why were the Russians trying to kill the Japanese head of state in this one?
They never really explain this. The only thing I can come up with is that it's just a part of their overall plan to destabilize the West in general. Create havoc, etc. A direct attack on the U.S. was not possible, but straining the relationship between the U.S. and one of its most important allies would be good.
Ok, thanks. I figured it was something generic like this, but I just wanted to confirm that I didn't miss a major plot point.

waverly2211
Captain

#101 Post by waverly2211 »

Re-watched last night with the Uncle. Beside his usual stories, I asked him what happened to the driver and Rick. Can't leave the driver out there with alone with a dead Ivan.

His answer, and it's my freaking Uncle why can't he give a straight answer.
"That's the magic of the episode, if you assume Magnum shot Ivan, you could be right or you could be wrong. You would also have to believe that Rick or Magnum killed the driver and they stashed the bodies. But I would wonder and assume that the other side would be wondering what happened to Ivan and his driver when they left the embassy. What happened to the limo?

I always say look deeper into the episode and remind yourself of by this time in the character development would you believe Magnum and Rick would be part and parcel to a double murder. NBC was pissed, but the fact remained, as Don told them many times over, nobody seen Ivan actually getting hit. I always want to believe it was a warning shot as a reminder not to return, or Ivan would end up dead. With Ivan being correct about Magnum not shooting somebody in clod blood. Oh and there was an outline floating around in the very early 2000's for a Magnum return, but maybe that can wait."

He left it at that as his driver picked him up and drove him home.

Checkman
Ensign

#102 Post by Checkman »

I'm old enough (53) to have actually seen (when they first aired) a few television episodes considered the "greatest" in U.S. television broadcast history; or at least some of the best episodes of classic U.S. television series. This is one of them. I was a freshman in high school that year, a fan of the show familiar with all the characters and comfortable with the structure. Two things threw me for a loop; Mac getting blown up (really didn't see that coming) and that unforgettable ending. Killing MAc was totally unexpected. He was the lovable comedic sidekick and those guys did not get killed off.

In 2021 we expect such jarring occurrences in our television series (see: Game of Thrones and The Sopranos...to name just a couple) and many will rip into a show that lacks the courage to kill off long running characters. But in 1982 that just didn't happen on long running prime time television shows. Afternoon soaps would do that, but not prime time shows. At least that's how I remember it. You can find exceptions of course. Colonel Henry Blake (Maclean Stevenson) dying off camera in M*A*S*H*, Margaret Williamson (Jean Hagen) dying between seasons 3 and 4 of The Danny Thomas Show, but for the most part it was unusual in 1982. Also notice that the two examples I provided had the characters dying off-camera. Not getting blown up in the middle of a comedic schtick. The fact that thirty-nine years later we're still talking about the episode shows that it was ground-breaking.

ANZAC_1915
Ensign

#103 Post by ANZAC_1915 »

So I saw this episode when it was first broadcast - when I lived in Australia.

I know in the US it was broadcast as two hours with no intro, and no recap.
The syndication and DVD/Blu Ray's have it as two episodes, with no intros, but a recap after the 2nd episode titles.

Now my recollection when it was broadcast in Australia, was that it was broadcast as two episodes, and that the 2nd episode had an intro (with the "sting" music before the titles) that was just one thing: Mac in the Ferrari "let's go up to the Pali lookout..." etc and the car blowing up, with the "sting" intro music punctuating it, then the opening titles, and no recap, just the 2nd episode.

Anyone else outside the US have a recollection of the international broadcast being structured this way?

(yeah yeah I know, Berenstein Bears)

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ANZAC_1915 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:22 am So I saw this episode when it was first broadcast - when I lived in Australia.

The syndication and DVD/Blu Ray's have it as two episodes, with no intros, but a recap after the 2nd episode titles.

Now my recollection when it was broadcast in Australia, was that it was broadcast as two episodes, and that the 2nd episode had an intro (with the "sting" music before the titles) that was just one thing: Mac in the Ferrari "let's go up to the Pali lookout..." etc and the car blowing up, with the "sting" intro music punctuating it, then the opening titles, and no recap, just the 2nd episode.

Anyone else outside the US have a recollection of the international broadcast being structured this way?

What is "sting" music?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#105 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:20 pm
ANZAC_1915 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:22 am So I saw this episode when it was first broadcast - when I lived in Australia.

What is "sting" music?
It’s just a short musical phrase used in TV or movies.

Probably the most well known is the “Dun dun duuun!” used for suspense in the past but now mostly for comedic effect.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4

Seinfeld used a very unique sting with the bass riff followed by the mouth sounds.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2GMyQdw78