It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 35%  35%  [ 27 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 29%  29%  [ 22 ]
7.5 (Decent) 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 77
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:22 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Noted a flub: during the walk through the jungle, Higgins remarks that Lydon should take his loafers off, that walking would be easier. Higgy then comments that he would have to be careful of snakes and tarantulas though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand there are no snakes in Hawai'i? (At least for now, if they can keep the brown snake out of Guam from moving in on cargo ships and planes, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:13 am 
Founding Father

There are no tarantulas either. Higgy Baby was just trying to scare the guy to throw him off his game. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:25 am 
Fleet Admiral

I actually really don't care much for this episode. :? All shows from the 70's and 80's seem to have to do some kind of prison and/or escaped prisoner type episodes. They're usually all the same...and this one's no different. A psycho escaped prisoner kidnaps one or some of the main stars and the other stars have to rescue them. It's just too predictable and boring. :?

The only things that make this one watchable are the scenes between Higgins and T.C., and the cool old abandoned gunnery placements on the beach--I assume left over from WWII. Also noteable is the first appearance of Rick's famous mob/underworld contact Ice Pick--however, he's played by a different actor than Elisha Cook (Jr.), and he's not as good as Cook eventually was.

Overall, this is not one I really enjoy much...I would have rated it "Not So Good", but because of the Higgins/T.C. moments and the gunnery placements (that I want to visit someday), I did end up rating it "Average At Best".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:45 pm 
Fleet Admiral

The script writers do this often, they put so many twists into an episode that it leaves the viewer confused and guessing. This episode is unique in it is nearly all filmed away from the estate and outdoors. They had a winner here but then come up with the most senseless plot with Lyden hiding out on an island and not blowing away Magnum when he had all the time to do so. Instead he has a discussion with Magnum, just long enough for Rick to arrive on the scene after swimming underwater for a half mile.

They should have had Lyden do what most people would do who escape prison, disappear out of sight and not take hostages on a remote, deserted island. To add to the absurdity, Lyden goes into an underground bunker with heavy artillery.

When they keep it real, it works, when they add bizarre behavior, it fizzles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:40 pm 
Fleet Admiral

I found the episode entertaining enough. This is another example where the episode is saved by the characters and in this case the overriding theme is Magnum will do anything to help a friend in need. Call it character affirmation as when Lyden tells Higgins that Magnum will put friends in danger before his own safety.

Don't get me wrong, there were elements that stretched the scope of plausibility, but it's episodic tv and sometimes you deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:11 pm 
Admiral

Why do cars in TV shows explode at the slightest crash? It rarely ever happens in real life yet it's virtualy impossible to see an explosionless crash on TV. It annoys me to no end! :evil:

Last edited by Croix de Lorraine on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:24 pm 
Admiral

*sorry, double post*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:00 am 
Fleet Admiral

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
Why do cars in TV shows explode at the slightest crash? It rarely ever happens in real life yet it's virtualy impossible to see an explosionless crash on TV. It annoys me to no end! :evil:

It's just exciting. I have a parody in mind, but I can't remember what it was. A car zooms along but slows to a snail's pace and then taps the bumper of a car and the two of them erupt into a fire ball. What movie was that again?

- J.Q.H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:26 am 
Fleet Admiral

Top secret. By the Zucker brothers. Starring Kurt Russell as an ersatz Elvis. wacky fun! A jeep taps a Pinto's bumper and buh-LOOWEEE!

don't believe me? watch the nazi's learn of Quality Amerikkkaner automaking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT0J0rcJTLo

looka dat nazi in the back self explode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:07 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Braddah Kimo wrote:
Top secret. By the Zucker brothers. Starring Kurt Russell as an ersatz Elvis. wacky fun! A jeep taps a Pinto's bumper and buh-LOOWEEE!

don't believe me? watch the nazi's learn of Quality Amerikkkaner automaking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT0J0rcJTLo

looka dat nazi in the back self explode.

That's it! Wasn't Val Kilmer in that too? I guess it was more poking fun at the Pinto than the hilarity of cars blowing up in movies and on tv. Funny nonetheless.

- J.Q.H.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next