1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 134

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: Black on White (3.6)

#121 Post by Chris109 »

I don't think Ian McShane could have been considered a 'star' when he did MPI. I think he received that status when he did Lovejoy. Which, imho, is one great show. And the only show, I believe, where he was a 'nice' guy.
And funny how K Hale would mention antiques. Lovejoy was McShane being an antiques dealer.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#122 Post by ConchRepublican »

Watching this again today in honor of the 2nd anniversary of John Hillerman's passing.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#123 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Chris109 wrote:I don't think Ian McShane could have been considered a 'star' when he did MPI. I think he received that status when he did Lovejoy. Which, imho, is one great show. And the only show, I believe, where he was a 'nice' guy.
And funny how K Hale would mention antiques. Lovejoy was McShane being an antiques dealer.

Chris,
Ian had quite a number of movies under his belt, dating back to the 1960's, though he was mainly a star in Europe and not well known in America.
I liked him especially in Battle of Britain and If it's Tuesday it Must Be Belgium. Chris, I hope you start posting again, we miss your wit around here.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:BLACK ON WHITE
Hawaiian shirts: 0
Island Hopper shirts: 1 light blue with white logo
Body Count: 1 Clutterbuck
Shirtless: 1
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 0
Magnum injuries: 0
Higgins musings: 2
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations: 0
Famous guest stars: 1 Ian McShane!
Magnumometer: 7

Potential magnumania usernames: Bibi Kiamani
Higgins memberships: Honolulu Society for the Preservation of English poetry in the Sandwich Islands.
UPDATE - 3.6 BLACK ON WHITE
Famous guest stars: 1 Ian McShane!
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 1 light blue with white logo
Shirtless: 1
OMG/Extraordinarys: 1
Higgins Organizations: 1 Honolulu society for the preservation of English poetry in the Sandwich Islands.
Higgins musings: 3
Negotiations:
Body Count: 1 Clutterbuck
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks: 2
Magnumometer: 12

Potential magnumania usernames: Bibi Kiamani, Edwin Clutterbuck (just “Clutterbuck” is taken)
Magnumometer moments: https://vimeo.com/377210575
There are so many great moments in this episode that didn’t count for the Magnumometer that I put a second video together just of those: https://vimeo.com/377632869

It was tough to settle on a number for Higgins musings for this one, as there are so many remembrances of things past. If you count separately each time there is non-related intervening dialogue, you could get a number as high as 8, but I decided that all musings in the same scene counted as just one. There were a couple long scenes in the guest house and study that contained multiple bouts of looking back. (I was going to say “nostalgia” but given the nature of the memories, that didn’t seem like the right term.)
Braddah Kimo wrote:Just watched this tonite on tv.... Again. Fun ep. Love Lovejoy. Both magnum and... Tc broke the 4th wall.
I missed TC’s 4th wall break my first time through, thanks to Braddah Kimo for the heads up.

TC refers to the larger estate that exists in the Magnuverse but not IRL. When he is flying over Robin’s Nest with Bibi, he says “Oh, we’ve been flying over it for the last 10 minutes…that’s the main complex up ahead.” Presumably he did not mean they were circling or hovering. If memory serves, however, the theoretical estate is 200 acres. Straight-line flying for 10 minutes would cover a lot more ground than 200 acres. Flub?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ENSHealy wrote:
ENSHealy wrote:BLACK ON WHITE

Potential magnumania usernames: Bibi Kiamani, Edwin Clutterbuck (just “Clutterbuck” is taken)
Magnumometer moments: https://vimeo.com/377210575
There are so many great moments in this episode that didn’t count for the Magnumometer that I put a second video together just of those: https://vimeo.com/377632869
It was tough to settle on a number for Higgins musings for this one, as there are so many remembrances of things past. If you count separately each time there is non-related intervening dialogue, you could get a number as high as 8, but I decided that all musings in the same scene counted as just one. There were a couple long scenes in the guest house and study that contained multiple bouts of looking back. (I was going to say “nostalgia” but given the nature of the memories, that didn’t seem like the right term.)
Braddah Kimo wrote:Just watched this tonite on tv.... Again. Fun ep. Love Lovejoy. Both magnum and... Tc broke the 4th wall.
I missed TC’s 4th wall break my first time through, thanks to Braddah Kimo for the heads up.

TC refers to the larger estate that exists in the Magnuverse but not IRL. When he is flying over Robin’s Nest with Bibi, he says “Oh, we’ve been flying over it for the last 10 minutes…that’s the main complex up ahead.” Presumably he did not mean they were circling or hovering. If memory serves, however, the theoretical estate is 200 acres. Straight-line flying for 10 minutes would cover a lot more ground than 200 acres. Flub?
ENSHealy,
I liked your video, well done. The Magnum Reboot people should watch it, it would help them understand what they don't understand about the boys
relationships and how it rings so true.
And just in time for Christmas, like Scrooge being visited by three spirits, you bring back the Ghost of Braddah Kimo Past to haunt these boards.
I was wondering, does Braddah's exile have a expiration date or can he come back after serving a set time? He was a dedicated Magnum fan after
all and he did generate interest by his constant "stir the possum" antics. Maybe it's time to let bygones be bygones.
A Christmas Pardon, Conch? Or am I speaking out of turn as the Braddah Era was before my time here?

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by ENSHealy »

I'll get to work on Free Braddah Kimo t-shirts and bumper stickers.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#127 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:I'll get to work on Free Braddah Kimo t-shirts and bumper stickers.
Maybe something like these....:D

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ENSHealy wrote:
ENSHealy wrote:I'll get to work on Free Braddah Kimo t-shirts and bumper stickers.
Maybe something like these....:D

ENSHealy,
You are a legend. Very funny. I think that - oh oh, I feel a disturbance in the Force. Braddah Kimo may already be lurking about here, returned
from the Dark Side.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I sometimes wonder what happened to people who have asked me for directions"...Dirty Dave

Algernon Farnsworth
Lieutenant Commander

#129 Post by Algernon Farnsworth »

Anyone else re-watching this episode in honor of the quarantine? :)

ConchRepublican

#130 Post by ConchRepublican »

ChargeTV aired this episode Sunday as part of their Sunday Magnum, P.I. marathon and before it aired there was warning about the episode being potentially disturbing to viewers due to the content . . . initially I thought it was sensitivity about the Mau-Mau Uprising, but it had to do with African Hemorrhagic Fever and the quarantine.

That's where we are now. I didn't know whether to be angry or sad.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#131 Post by Gorilla Mask »

This is one of my favorite overall episodes. Previously watching it, i was laughting about the Quarantine prank and the theatrical agitation around it.

This sounds much more ;bitter now.

In France we had a severe containment between march and June. With the current epidemic bounce, we are once more under lock-down since october 26th. Authorities had great hope of leaving it a little before Xmas. :cry:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Limbo
Lieutenant

#132 Post by Limbo »

ConchRepublican wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:12 pm ChargeTV aired this episode Sunday as part of their Sunday Magnum, P.I. marathon and before it aired there was warning about the episode being potentially disturbing to viewers due to the content . . . initially I thought it was sensitivity about the Mau-Mau Uprising, but it had to do with African Hemorrhagic Fever and the quarantine.

That's where we are now. I didn't know whether to be angry or sad.
Oh geez. Thats just unreal.
Very good Magnum-san, very good,but why do you care so much for his life?. I don't....I care for yours.

502-to-right
Lieutenant Commander

#133 Post by 502-to-right »

I don't get the love for this episode. It had many fun moments between TM and Higgins but the overall story was bizarre. And the ending even more so.

So after TM shoots and presumably kills Clutterbuck, the next morning everyone is on the beach hamming it up? How long would TM have been undergoing police questioning for the shooting of Clutterbuck? I doubt he'd even be back to the estate by morning. I also question whether Clutterbuck even had a weapon in his hand when TM shot him given the hallucinations he had just before TM came into the room (in other words, the spear that appeared to barely miss him was apparently never even there). How does TM explain shooting a man to death when he had no weapon?

I can look the other way with a lot of plot holes, but this episode was a bridge too far.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

502-to-right wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:48 pm I don't get the love for this episode. It had many fun moments between TM and Higgins but the overall story was bizarre. And the ending even more so.

So after TM shoots and presumably kills Clutterbuck, the next morning everyone is on the beach hamming it up? How long would TM have been undergoing police questioning for the shooting of Clutterbuck? I doubt he'd even be back to the estate by morning. I also question whether Clutterbuck even had a weapon in his hand given the hallucinations he had just before TM came into the room (in other words, the spear that appeared to miss him was apparently never even there). How does TM explain shooting a man to death when he had no weapon?

I can look the other way with a lot of plot holes, but this episode was a bridge too far.
You're definitely looking too much into it. Thomas has shot countless people and we never see the police investigation that follows. We're not meant to see any of that. This isn't Law & Order. Just a breezy 80s show. As for Clutterbuck being unarmed he definitely was standing on the balcony holding a spear in his hand, ready to to throw it at Higgy who of course was his target all along. Why would he be there without a weapon? The hallucinations he was having about a spear being tossed at him were indeed just hallucinations, as was the male Mau-Mau "stalking" him. But when Clutterbuck himself took off his clothes to reveal his Mau-Mau attire underneath that of course was all real, as well as the spear. I thought that was all pretty clear. :)

ConchRepublican

#135 Post by ConchRepublican »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:56 pm
502-to-right wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:48 pm I don't get the love for this episode. It had many fun moments between TM and Higgins but the overall story was bizarre. And the ending even more so.

So after TM shoots and presumably kills Clutterbuck, the next morning everyone is on the beach hamming it up? How long would TM have been undergoing police questioning for the shooting of Clutterbuck? I doubt he'd even be back to the estate by morning. I also question whether Clutterbuck even had a weapon in his hand given the hallucinations he had just before TM came into the room (in other words, the spear that appeared to miss him was apparently never even there). How does TM explain shooting a man to death when he had no weapon?

You're definitely looking too much into it. Thomas has shot countless people and we never see the police investigation that follows. We're not meant to see any of that. This isn't Law & Order. Just a breezy 80s show. As for Clutterbuck being unarmed he definitely was standing on the balcony holding a spear in his hand, ready to to throw it at Higgy who of course was his target all along. Why would he be there without a weapon? The hallucinations he was having about a spear being tossed at him were indeed just hallucinations, as was the male Mau-Mau "stalking" him. But when Clutterbuck himself took off his clothes to reveal his Mau-Mau attire underneath that of course was all real, as well as the spear. I thought that was all pretty clear. :)
Quite. :higgins:
CoziTV Superfan spot