No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 100

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Foiled Again (3.8)

#91 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

rgholmes wrote:Just watching this on a Charge! Network marathon today (Noon to Midnight).
They bleeped out “knob” when Troubshaw tells Jonathan “You silly little knob!” And again when adult Troubshaw walks in on him and Velma and calls him a knob.
Hilarious! If it’s that bad a word, I’m going to say it more often!
rgholmes,
It can mean a homosexual or a penis. Or an insulting way to refer to a Noble(Nob/knob).
In the subtext of a English Public(meaning private) School, a knob is a classmate who was subservient and a whipping boy, or one
forced to give sexual favors, usually to much older students who typically preyed upon the younger grades.
Troubshaw undoubtedly meant the latter version as a dire insult or even to perhaps remind the diminutive Higgins of an actual assault.
The culture at the private schools was deeply weird, sexually assaulting the weak or much younger wasn't considered a crime, they even had it
coming for allowing it to happen to themselves.
The elites at these schools remained in the same social and business circles for their entire lives, maintaining the same pecking order.
Class entered in to it as well, 'jumped up' students from the so called crass families that had made it in business as opposed to the
titled classes, were picked on to remind them who their betters were.
The assailants didn't consider it being particularly homosexual in nature, most went on to marry etc.
It was an exercise in power by entitled, filled with raging hormones, teenage punks. Some of it still goes on today.
Any of you have the bread to send your kids to the finest world class private schools, skip the British ones.
Wellington said the Battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton. Perhaps after surviving Eton, Napoleon didn't scare them.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by K Hale »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
rgholmes wrote:Just watching this on a Charge! Network marathon today (Noon to Midnight).
They bleeped out “knob” when Troubshaw tells Jonathan “You silly little knob!” And again when adult Troubshaw walks in on him and Velma and calls him a knob.
rgholmes,
It can mean a homosexual or a penis. Or an insulting way to refer to a Noble(Nob/knob) aristocrat.
In the subtext of a English Public(meaning private) School, a knob is a classmate who not only was subservient and a whipping boy
but was forced to give sexual favors, usually to much older students that preyed upon the younger grades.
Troubshaw undoubtedly meant the latter version as a dire insult or even to perhaps remind the diminutive Higgins of an actual assault.
The culture at the private schools was deeply weird, sexually assaulting the weak or much younger wasn't considered a crime, they even had it coming for
allowing it to happen to themselves.
The elites at these schools remained in the same social and business circles for their entire lives, maintaining the same pecking order.
Class entered in to it as well, 'jumped up' students from the so called crass families that had made it in business as opposed to the
The assailants didn't consider it being particularly homosexual in nature, most went on to marry etc.
It was an exercise in power by entitled, filled with raging hormones, teenage punks. Some of it still goes on today.
Any of you got the bread to send your kids to the finest world class private schools, skip the British ones.
Wellington said the Battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton. Perhaps after surviving Eton, Napoleon didn't scare them.
Next time I watch this one, I’m going to cheer when Higgins electrocutes the SOB.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
rgholmes,
It can mean a homosexual or a penis. Or an insulting way to refer to a Noble(Nob/knob) aristocrat.
In the subtext of a English Public(meaning private) School, a knob is a classmate who not only was subservient and a whipping boy
but was forced to give sexual favors, usually to much older students that preyed upon the younger grades.
The culture at the private schools was deeply weird, sexually assaulting the weak or much younger wasn't considered a crime, they even had it coming for
allowing it to happen to themselves.
Any of you got the bread to send your kids to the finest world class private schools, skip the British ones.
Next time I watch this one, I’m going to cheer when Higgins electrocutes the SOB.
K Hale,
I agree. I also think that this is also just another indication of how deeply written the Magnum characters are.
That scene with Troubshaw speaks volumes about Higgins life and the man himself.
Troubshaw either participated or looked on as a young Higgins was assaulted, perhaps in a manner so degrading that the mere
sideways hint of it to Higgins devastates and disarms him.
That could also explain Higgins not ever giving in a inch when it came to his dignity or an affront to his honor, to the point most people find it
amusing.
I doubt there are ever such slightly veiled "easter eggs"(isn't that the term for vital, buried insights in scripts?) in any action series today.
"The Way of the Stalking Horse" for one is chock full of them and in my opinion one of the five best scripts of the series.
Magnum and Driscoll the hit man had mirrored attributes that the writers were at pains to underline, making the viewers who detected what the
writers were up to quite uncomfortable. The visuals were brilliant as well, the various shots pf Magnum's new abode in a hot sheets motel used by hookers
clearly showed TM's moral decay. A great, brutal episode with fine acting by Selleck. But I digress.
I agree K Hale, Troubshaw had it coming.

rgholmes
Lieutenant Commander

#94 Post by rgholmes »

It’s showing this afternoon on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel.

Nothing bleeped out!

One of my favorite episodes! It was one of the first ones I saw when my friend told me I needed to watch “Magnum, PI” when we were in high school.

“...Next thing you know, someone’s offed him.”
“Higgins didn’t off him!”

“What does Walakana Sugar have to do with Higgins offing that guy?”
“Higgins didn’t off him!”

Classic!
"Because it's HOW you make the transitions that's as important as making them."
-T.S. Magnum IV, "Transitions"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by K Hale »

Somebody on FB is saying Troubshaw was trying to kill Higgins but got the boxes switched. I thought the sugar mill foreman was the killer?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

RodMarsh
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#96 Post by RodMarsh »

Despite the cheesy title, I find this an emotive story, and it is certainly true that the English 'public school' - meaning private school bizarrely - system can alienate children from their parents. Think Hillerman and Selleck play off each other beautifully here. It is often what is left unsaid - particularly by JH - which adds emotion. Nice simple plot which is all you need with a story about relationships past and present.