5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 82

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Heal Thyself (3.12)

#46 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:27 pm
I have big questions about the location of the final scene... But let me have a look at it!
Oh that's easy. It's the Makapu'u Lighthouse! I was there, you know. :higgins:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Gorilla Mask »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:02 am
I have big questions about the location of the final scene... But let me have a look at it!
Privet, Ivan !

I know that is Makapu'u Point/ lookout area, but where exactly ? The shooting scene seems to be located a little out of step (i mean not on the edge of the cliff). There should be a couple of abandonned (guardhouses ?) concrete shacks, there.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:59 am
Privet, Ivan !

I know that is Makapu'u Point/ lookout area, but where exactly ? The shooting scene seems to be located a little out of step (i mean not on the edge of the cliff). There should be a couple of abandonned (guardhouses ?) concrete shacks, there.
Yep it's around one of those shacks which are no longer there. They used to be small housing spaces for the men who worked there at the lighthouse, and their families.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Gorilla Mask »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:16 pm
Gorilla Mask wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:59 am
Privet, Ivan !

Yep it's around one of those shacks which are no longer there. They used to be small housing spaces for the men who worked there at the lighthouse, and their families.
Thanks for the information, i've already found some 1950's aerial photos of these. Will post it soon ! :D
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by charybdis1966 »

To me Ed Winter is always the guy from Project UFO as I never saw much of M.A.S.H. and as a teenager I always gravitated towards sci-fi shows.
This is one of those episodes I vaguely remember watching but had forgotten who the bad guy was and seeing it today 35+ years later I had it down to be Dr Harreman so it was a nice, albeit rushed, twist to the story.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#51 Post by Pahonu »

Somehow, one of the things that stands out to me in this episode is the reference to digoxin. I was watching this episodes many years ago and my wife commented that digoxin was one of the first drugs used in cardiac treatment. Today there are so many more. It was like penicillin among antibiotics. She teaches human anatomy and physiology and has taught me so much over the years. I’ve also mentioned a few social studies related topics over the years! :wink:

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:36 am Somehow, one of the things that stands out to me in this episode is the reference to digoxin. I w.......mentioned a few social studies related topics over the years! :wink:
Something similar happened to me while watching this episode - since I saw this on it's run in the '80s I had quadruple bypass surgery and any mention of heart failures always resonates with me.
I have inadvertently/not by choice come to know more about heart health than your average person.
The very mention of angiograms makes my eyes water !

Pahonu

#53 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:44 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:36 am Somehow, one of the things that stands out to me in this episode is the reference to digoxin. I w.......mentioned a few social studies related topics over the years! :wink:
Something similar happened to me while watching this episode - since I saw this on it's run in the '80s I had quadruple bypass surgery and any mention of heart failures always resonates with me.
I have inadvertently/not by choice come to know more about heart health than your average person.
I hope all is well since your surgery. My father had the same, quadruple bypass, when he was 70. It went well for him and he lived into his 80’s. He became very knowledgeable about heart health too.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:02 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:44 pm
I hope all is well since your surgery. My father had the same, quadruple bypass, when he was 70. It went well for him and he lived into his 80’s. He became very knowledgeable about heart health too.
I had mine at 38 years old, a bit earlier than your Pop, due to a combination of stress factors and inherited weaknesses.
Thanks for the good wishes Pahonu.

Vxc961
Lieutenant

#55 Post by Vxc961 »

I rated this one a 9.0, and was surprised to see it’s average rating is so much lower than that. I think the criticisms presented are certainly valid (slow, disjointed, etc…) but I read Lynda Van Devanter’s book (_Home_Before_Morning_), and I really, really enjoyed learning about a nurse’s perspective in Vietnam, and then her experiences as a female vet after the war. I don’t think of myself as particularly “woke”, but it seems like in the early 80’s nobody really gave a hoot about women vets.

So, the fact that this episode took on those issues, did it pretty well, and came out in the early 80’s makes it easy for me to look past any flaws. I don’t want every episode to grapple with TM in Vietnam, but I’m a huge sucker that stuff.

I thought the comedy in the episode (Rick/TC working on the dog house) was adequate, and the mystery was functional…despite the giant leaps of buying heroine to help your sister kick the habit and Higgins not thinking to mention that Dr Jorgenson had ethical problems until the end of the show.

After this MPI watch through, I now plan on watching China Beach!

Pahonu

#56 Post by Pahonu »

Vxc961 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:32 pm I rated this one a 9.0, and was surprised to see it’s average rating is so much lower than that. I think the criticisms presented are certainly valid (slow, disjointed, etc…) but I read Lynda Van Devanter’s book (_Home_Before_Morning_), and I really, really enjoyed learning about a nurse’s perspective in Vietnam, and then her experiences as a female vet after the war. I don’t think of myself as particularly “woke”, but it seems like in the early 80’s nobody really gave a hoot about women vets.

So, the fact that this episode took on those issues, did it pretty well, and came out in the early 80’s makes it easy for me to look past any flaws. I don’t want every episode to grapple with TM in Vietnam, but I’m a huge sucker that stuff.

I thought the comedy in the episode (Rick/TC working on the dog house) was adequate, and the mystery was functional…despite the giant leaps of buying heroine to help your sister kick the habit and Higgins not thinking to mention that Dr Jorgenson had ethical problems until the end of the show.

After this MPI watch through, I now plan on watching China Beach!
May I ask how you are going to watch China Beach? I watched much of the series when it originally aired then tried to find it again a few years ago to no avail.

Vxc961
Lieutenant

#57 Post by Vxc961 »

Between family and work, a lot of my TV watching is on my phone on the treadmill. In fact, that’s how I watch much of MPI, although I’ll often go back through the episode at home after reading through the threads if the clubs or locations are particularly interesting.

So for China Beach, I bought the dvd set (it’s not available for streaming) and ripped them to mp4 with a program called isofter. It works pretty well, but it’s a labor intensive and every once in a while the audio gets out of sync which is really annoying. The China Beach dvd set has a lot commentary tracks, so I’ll record a whole new mp4 for those eps and watch afterwards.

Pahonu

#58 Post by Pahonu »

Vxc961 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:54 am Between family and work, a lot of my TV watching is on my phone on the treadmill. In fact, that’s how I watch much of MPI, although I’ll often go back through the episode at home after reading through the threads if the clubs or locations are particularly interesting.

So for China Beach, I bought the dvd set (it’s not available for streaming) and ripped them to mp4 with a program called isofter. It works pretty well, but it’s a labor intensive and every once in a while the audio gets out of sync which is really annoying. The China Beach dvd set has a lot commentary tracks, so I’ll record a whole new mp4 for those eps and watch afterwards.
Thanks! I remember before the series was even on DVD. I think it was an issue with the music that delayed its release.

Thomas Tinto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#59 Post by Thomas Tinto »

in the opening trailer, there is a scene where Karen walks up to Magnum in despair and says "Thomas I need to talk to you please! I need your help please!" which if I'm not mistaken, doesn't appear in the actual episode