5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 108

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Birdman of Budapest (3.16)

#106 Post by K Hale »

MaximRecoil wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote: I agree that this episode proves that Higgins is NOT Robin Masters. I haven't seen the later episodes but it just seems to me really dumb to suspect that they would be one and the same.
Magnum never claimed that they were one and the same. He describes Robin as a guy with a voice like Orson Welles and a body like Truman Capote. The guy known as Robin Masters is a real person who has his own history. The gist of Magnum's claim in Paper War is that Higgins is effectively Robin Masters, i.e., Higgins is the one who actually writes the novels and pulls the strings.
The early season episodes do so much to negate this theory. Especially this episode! If Higgins is Robin then why doesn't he realize that "Elizabeth" is not his teacher??? He just decides to go along with this charade?! Yeah right!!
Because Higgins isn't the guy with a voice like Orson Welles and a body like Truman Capote who is named Robin Masters. Just because Robin Masters, by the time of season 7, according to Magnum, doesn't really write the novels or call the shots, doesn't mean he never had any teachers.

My take on it is that it was a gradual thing. Robin Masters was a real writer, and that was his real name. He may have had one or two successful novels but then was washed up. Higgins started helping him with his writing until eventually, by season 7, he was doing all of the writing, and had worked out a mutually beneficial arrangement with Masters behind the scenes to continue to pose as the writer of all the novels. Of course, Higgins would be getting the lion's share of the profits by that time. There's evidence of this gradual transition of power between Masters and Higgins prior to Paper War. For example, Higgins has "Power of Attorney" over Masters' affairs, which is a huge step above simply being the "majordomo" of the estate (for example, he can withdraw money, $300,000 in one episode, from Masters' account without needing his consent).
I agree that this was their arrangement. I would not even be surprised if they had a legal nondisclosure agreement worked out that actually forbid either of them from revealing what was going on. Robin in particular would have been foolish not to insist on one.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by ENSHealy »

BIRDMAN OF BUDAPEST
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 2 black tank top, white logo; black crew, white logo
Body Count: .5 Merlin the Macaw
Shirtless: 0
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: .5 A private investigator should never get stiffed by a deadbeat.
Investigator corrections: 0
Magnum injuries: .5 talon scratches on face from Merlin attack
Higgins musings: 2
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations: 1 – 3 weeks full estate privileges for finding Tessa
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 8.5

Potential magnumania usernames: Kraig Maynard, King of the Condos, Bill Rogers, Ms. Roebuck

Higgins Clubs: Pan-Pacific Academy of Modern Literature

In the first scene that she appears in, it sure looks like Mrs. Selleck’s voice is dubbed. Less so in the later scene, but it does make me wonder if that's actually her voice?

Is "Haiku Valley" the same location where they shot Jurassic Park? The scene where the dinosaurs run by the kids when they're in the open field with Sam Neill? And if so, it must not be the same "Haiku Valley" as is really in Hawaii, because that's the one with an interstate running through it and the steps that TM climbed down in an earlier episode? Paging rubber chicken!

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS

Higgins: l must say, l'm impressed.
Magnum: With my dictionary?
Higgins: No, with your living quarters. They're actually tidy.
Magnum: Don't act so surprised.
Higgins: Where is all the usual unpleasantness, the abandoned bits of food and drink, the soiled garments, the sundry unidentifiable artifacts l expect to find when l walk in?
Magnum: Aha! That is precisely my point. You expect to walk in. Higgins...l don't walk in on you, do l?
Higgins: Of course you do. All the time, as a matter of fact, but I look upon it as one of life's little unpleasantries, like a minor rash or an ingrown toenail.

Higgins: I remember once in Berlin, after the war, I was in deep cover for MI6…. After she plied me with more chilled vodka, we rolled on the bearskin rug, she wild with passion, while l was trying to find out where the microfilm was hidden. Well…[chuckling]…well, I'd tell you where l found it…. (Laughs) Actually, propriety forbids me divulging the details but suffice it to say that within minutes, she parted with the film and much more. Extraordinary.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by eagle »

Watched this episode tonight. Every time I watch one of the original episodes, I'm struck by how much better the writing and acting are as compared to the reboot. Also, I generally find episodes of the original series to be memorable (this one more than many), whereas episodes of the reboot are just ... not.

I continue to find this to be a good episode. I like the way Magnum figures out the truth. I like the way Higgins responds to that objectionable woman. I like the sassy attitude that Ms. Roebuck presented every time she interacted with Magnum.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote:Watched this episode tonight. Every time I watch one of the original episodes, I'm struck by how much better the writing and acting are as compared to the reboot. Also, I generally find episodes of the original series to be memorable (this one more than many), whereas episodes of the reboot are just ... not.

I continue to find this to be a good episode. I like the way Magnum figures out the truth. I like the way Higgins responds to that objectionable woman. I like the sassy attitude that Ms. Roebuck presented every time she interacted with Magnum.
Just went through this one on my rotation.

Agree re. the writing and acting.

There are (what I consider a bit more cheesy) episodes that are ALWAYS “saved” by Higgins, T.C. and Rick’s interactions. What makes it great.

The reboot is just sarcastic back-and-forth bickering similar to McGarrett and Danno on the new H50. That got really tiresome after a while. Just got tired of them arguing non-stop as a weak and unimaginative form of “entertainment”.

:higgins: :magnum:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
I had a lot of fun with this episode. But I would like to point out an observation Magnum makes:

"Tessa had a look about him I didn't like. I'd seen it before. It divides people into two groups: those who can kill
and those who can't. He was definitely in the first."

Director John Huston made almost the same observation about a certain Hollywood star. Huston Had been an adventurer and world class brawler/drinker in his youth.
At one point he joined with a Mexican cavalry unit putting down bloody revolts, earning honorary NCO status, honorary because he was a gringo, though he treasured
that more than many of his Hollywood awards.
Preparing for his upcoming Civil War film The Red Badge of Courage, Huston had insisted MGM cast a baby faced 5'5 star in the lead as The Youth.
After his first meeting with the star a clearly taken aback Huston remarked to his aide,

"Now I understand how he won all those medals. When I looked into those eyes, they were the eyes of a killer."

The star was Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in the history of the United States, holder of the Medal of Honor.
I believe that same aspect of Magnum as killer is overlooked by too many fans who only see the sun and cars and babes.
Remember Tyler saying Magnum was the best at going out and coming back with the scalps?
It was wartime, but still, hunting humans with a sniper's rifle is a whole different gig than 'normal' combat and it left TM with
wounds to his psyche that compelled him to go to Hawaii to heal.
For that reason I think Way of the Stalking Horse is one of the 5 most important episodes of the entire series, one you have to pay close attention
to because this was Magnum at his absolute worst, his nadir.
As the episode continues his spiritual and moral decay worsens along with his physical wounds.
When his literal soul brother TC begs him not to go hunting the hit man Driscoll(TM's mirror image) for his own sake/salvation, an icy cold Magnum,
a wreck of his former self(now back in killing mode) LIES to him and denies both it and in a sense, their friendship.
Cut to the slum teeming with hookers where Magnum now lives, his world. TM's thoughts (as shown in the narration) attempts to justify his lies to TC:

"There are some things you'd think you never get used to in life. Like being lied to...But I noticed over the years that left to it's own devices the mind
has an amazing capacity to accept the unacceptable."

Not exactly Beach Boy Tommy Magnum tooling around in his sports car. The makers of Magnum junior have no idea or understanding of this part of
Magnum and the Journey he, TC, Rick and Higgins are on, which is why the reboot really has nothing to do with Classic Magnum.
In real life Audie Murphy took the same road but sadly never came to terms with his demons.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#111 Post by 308GUY »

Great post!

I always thought of the TWOTSH episode in the same manor....but could never have put into words as well as you have here.

We get a closer look at more of the many sides of TM all in one episode, where it seems usually, only one or two sides show.

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Hi Guys,
I had a lot of fun with this episode. But I would like to point out an observation Magnum makes:

"Tessa had a look about him I didn't like. I'd seen it before. It divides people into two groups: those who can kill

Director John Huston made almost the same observation about a certain Hollywood star. Huston Had been an adventurer and world class brawler/drinker in his youth.
At one point he joined with a Mexican cavalry unit putting down bloody revolts, earning honorary NCO status, honorary because he was a gringo, though he treasured
Preparing for his upcoming Civil War film The Red Badge of Courage, Huston had insisted MGM cast a baby faced 5'5 star in the lead as The Youth.
After his first meeting with the star a clearly taken aback Huston remarked to his aide,

"Now I understand how he won all those medals. When I looked into those eyes, they were the eyes of a killer."

The star was Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in the history of the United States, holder of the Medal of Honor.
I believe that same aspect of Magnum as killer is overlooked by too many fans who only see the sun and cars and babes.
Remember Tyler saying Magnum was the best at going out and coming back with the scalps?
It was wartime, but still, hunting humans with a sniper's rifle is a whole different gig than 'normal' combat and it left TM with the physic
wounds that he went to Hawaii to heal.
For that reason I think Way of the Stalking Horse is one of the 5 most important episodes of the entire series, one you have to pay close attention
As the episode continues his spiritual and moral decay worsens along with his physical wounds.
When his literal soul brother TC begs him not to go hunting the hit man Driscoll(TM's mirror image) for his own sake/salvation, an icy cold Magnum,
a wreck of his former self(now back in killing mode) LIES to him and denies it and in a sense, their friendship.
Cut to the slum teeming with hookers where Magnum now lives, his world. TM's thoughts (as shown in the narration) attempts to justify his lies to TC:

"There are some things you'd think you never get used to in life. Like being lied to...But I noticed over the years that left to it's own devices the mind

Not exactly Beach Boy Tommy Magnum tooling around in his sports car. The makers of Magnum junior have no idea or understanding of this part of
Magnum and the Journey he, TC, Rick and Higgins are on, which is why the reboot really has nothing to do with Classic Magnum.
In real life Audie Murphy took the same road but sadly never came to terms with his demons.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

ENSHealy wrote: Higgins: l must say, l'm impressed.
I can understand why Higgins wouldn't be impressed with Magnum's dictionary. It was a Webster's dictionary, filled with American spellings. Not being a bloody American, Higgins would prefer the Oxford dictionary.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
ENSHealy wrote: Higgins: l must say, l'm impressed.
I can understand why Higgins wouldn't be impressed with Magnum's dictionary. It was a Webster's dictionary, filled with American spellings. Not being a bloody American, Higgins would prefer the Oxford dictionary.
Then again, he is a Cambridge man.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote: I can understand why Higgins wouldn't be impressed with Magnum's dictionary. It was a Webster's dictionary, filled with American spellings. Not being a bloody American, Higgins would prefer the Oxford dictionary.
Cambridge? That Sandhurst dropout? I bet he just said that to get the girls. That's what I do. "Hey baby, did you know I've got a Doctorate in Mathematics from Cambridge?" It gets them every time.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
K Hale wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote: I can understand why Higgins wouldn't be impressed with Magnum's dictionary. It was a Webster's dictionary, filled with American spellings. Not being a bloody American, Higgins would prefer the Oxford dictionary.
Cambridge? That Sandhurst dropout? I bet he just said that to get the girls. That's what I do. "Hey baby, did you know I've got a Doctorate in Mathematics from Cambridge?" It gets them every time.
I’m sure the only reason he bothered is because you need a degree to be in MI6. Which should totally get the girls, except you can’t tell anyone...
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#116 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

ENSHealy wrote: Is "Haiku Valley" the same location where they shot Jurassic Park? The scene where the dinosaurs run by the kids when they're in the open field with Sam Neill? And if so, it must not be the same "Haiku Valley" as is really in Hawaii, because that's the one with an interstate running through it and the steps that TM climbed down in an earlier episode? Paging rubber chicken!
If you look closely, you'll see that Jar Jar Binks was in that group of dinosaurs.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by terryfromkerry »

You're not a Mad Kudu Buck, you're a Hilarious Kudu Buck ! :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

308GUY wrote:Great post!

I always thought of the TWOTSH episode in the same manor....but could never have put into words as well as you have here.
We get a closer look at more of the many sides of TM all in one episode, where it seems usually, only one or two sides show.
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Hi Guys,

It was wartime, but still, hunting humans with a sniper's rifle is a whole different gig than 'normal' combat and it left TM with
wounds to his psyche that compelled him to go to Hawaii to heal.
a wreck of his former self(now back in killing mode) LIES to him and denies it and in a sense, their friendship.

Thank you 308GUY.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#119 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote: Is "Haiku Valley" the same location where they shot Jurassic Park? The scene where the dinosaurs run by the kids when they're in the open field with Sam Neill? And if so, it must not be the same "Haiku Valley" as is really in Hawaii, because that's the one with an interstate running through it and the steps that TM climbed down in an earlier episode?

The Jurassic Park scene in that image is Ka’a’awa Valley on Kualoa Ranch. It’s also where Magnum and the fake Mrs. Barrett are shown driving to and from the elusive doctor’s campsite. Except if you’ve been there, you know that they seem to be going the wrong way. When they are going towards the campsite, they are actually headed down the valley towards the coast, and vice versa.

The stairs from “J. Digger Doyle” are the Haiku Stairs and they are not in this valley.
Magnum: Aha! That is precisely my point. You expect to walk in. Higgins...l don't walk in on you, do l?
This quote kills me. When has Magnum EVER knocked before walking in on Higgins?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#120 Post by ENSHealy »

Episode Guide Flub: the episode guide says ”A picture of a young Tom Selleck in college volleyball uniform can be seen on the guesthouse mantel in the opening Robin's Nest scene. This particular picture is usually not seen on the mantel (or anywhere else) in the guesthouse scenes. Selleck was an All-American volleyball player at USC.”
This is incorrect. The volleyball program at USC wasn’t even established until 1970, and Tom Selleck was long gone by then. He’s shown on the 65-66 USC basketball roster, but with no stats. I believe his “All-American” status came later, in the over-35 category for amateur men’s volleyball when he played for the Outrigger Canoe Club.
Agatha wrote:Isn't there a mention about Hungarian acrobats in Past Tense when Thomas and Rick break into TC's office to see if they can figure out who...besides Higgins...went up with him that day? Seems like Thomas broke the window in the door and Rick asked him why he didn't pick the lock and Thomas says that TC pick-proofed it because of the Hungarian acrobats...???
:)
There is a reference to Hungarian Acrobats in that episode, and there’s also a reference to Rick finding a pair of “spangled tights” in T.C.’s desk drawer. I’ve always wondered if the acrobats are supposed to explain the tights. They never follow up on why T.C. had spangled tights in his desk drawer. I, for one, am curious.
Donuts ensucrats wrote:The third Season is The Quarantine Season (Black on white, Birdman) :D
Don’t forget Sir Algernon, who was quarantined in Season One’s Ugliest Dog in Hawaii.
marlboro wrote:Just rewatched this, and I noticed that Magnum has a Sherlock Holmes style "deerstalker" hat hanging on his hat rack; it's visible in the scene where Higgins knocks and asks politely to come in.

I did a quick search and saw that Jay-Firestorm spotted the hat in "Luther Gillis: File #001." Are these the only two appearances of the hat, or is it always there and I have just missed it?
The deerstalker hat was there as early as 2.19, Double Jeopardy. Image
IvanTheTerrible wrote:I have to point out that the Byodo-In Temple was not featured anywhere in this episode, despite being listed as #5 in the Notes section on this episode's main page. Byodo-In was featured in "The Arrow That is Not Aimed" two episodes earlier. I think J.J. should correct this.
This still needs to be fixed.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."