T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: I Do? (3.17)

#46 Post by T.Q. »

ENSHealy wrote:I DO?

4th wall breaks:
ENSHealy,

Appreciate the rundowns.

Still referencing your posts before watching while I exercise.

Saves me grief of thinking I may have missed a Fourth Wall.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by ENSHealy »

T.Q. wrote:

4th wall breaks:
ENSHealy,

Appreciate the rundowns.

Thanks, it's been a really busy spring and summer, so I've been slow on new posts, but I hope to pick up the pace again once the weather turns cold.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by T.Q. »

ENSHealy wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

4th wall breaks:
ENSHealy,

Appreciate the rundowns.

Thanks, it's been a really busy spring and summer, so I've been slow on new posts, but I hope to pick up the pace again once the weather turns cold.
Well, I'm mad at you now. :P

End of season 3 and you stopped your episode breakdowns.

Now I'm scrambling. :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by ENSHealy »

Hawaiian shirts:
Island Hopper shirts:
Body Count:
Shirtless:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: 1
Investigator corrections: 2
Magnum injuries:
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 4

Potential magnumania usernames: Mary Jane Lodato, Son of the Sheikh of Yahoo

Higgins Clubs: Ornithological Society
UPDATE - I DO?
Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless:
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Higgins Organizations: 1 Ornithological Society
Higgins musings: 1
Negotiations: 1
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: 1.5
Investigator corrections: 2-1=1
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 5.5

Potential magnumania usernames: Timothy, Andrew…Not Andy, Miss Lodato, Son of the Sheikh of Yahoo
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/381555443
ENSHealy wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:It's hard to tell with Marsha nagging Magnum to death (!), but I don't think that's Pat O'Brien's voice. It's similiar, but I don't think it's him.
My guess is Curt Gowdy.
I did a little research on this one. I think it’s Gary Bender, not Curt Gowdy. You can find some of his game calls on youtube if you want to see if you agree.
Carol the Dabbler wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:The episode guide already lists the flub of Magnum referring to himself as a "Private Detective." This is a major flub because we all know Magnum goes out of his way to make sure he prefers the title of "Private Investigator."
Sorry, IH, but I beg to differ on two of your points:

What Magnum stereotypically gets bent out of shape about is being called a "Private Eye" or a "P.I." (as in the title of the show!). I don't offhand recall him ever being called a Private Detective before (or objecting to it), though he does as a rule refer to himself as a Private Investigator. (But my memory could be failing me here, so if you can cite a counterexample, please correct me!!) True, it's an inconsistency, but people do use different words sometimes.
IslandHopper wrote:There are several examples throughout the series where Magnum corrects the person referring to him as a "Private Detective," however, the only one I can cite off hand is in "Find Me A Rainbow." When Magnum first meets the limo driver, Donald Burns, at the Chic Limo garage, Magnum reveals that it was his client that gave him his (Burns') name. Donald Burns then says "Private Detective, huh?" Magnum corrects him and says "Private Investigator." Magnum has made this correction on many occasions.
More often than not, it is “private eye” that brings Thomas’ retort, but in the pilot, Ski says “I heard you’re playing like a detective” to which TM responds “Investigator, Ski, private investigator” and in The Last Page, Taylor says “You’re a detective, right?” and TM responds “private investigator.”
Frodoleader wrote:In this episode, TM metions when he writes his book, "How to become an ace private investigator". I always thought it was a "world class" private investigator.
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I always thought it was world class private investigator as well. I neve remember him saying ace investigator. I'll have to revisit this one.
At this point in the series, he’s only mentioned “how to be a world class private investigator” twice. The “ace” reference probably stands out more to us because we’ve been through the whole series and heard it more, but someone watching the series in real time back in the 80s, it wouldn’t have stood out, since a real pattern of "world class" hadn't been established yet.
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by K Hale »

In “Round and Around,” Higgins refers to Sherlock Holmes as a detective. Magnum then interrupts and says, “Investigator.”
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#51 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I think my favorite part of this episode is TM escaping to the guest house to enjoy watching a game and a chilidog in peace and quiet than she barges in and makes him go back haha he just drops his head in defeat and "surrenders" I think every married man in history can relate to that scene. I think Marsha's Feminist character was written wayyyy ahead of her time its a common character on television now days. And I laughed when Magnum put the Rainbow Room on their tab, Higgins was exasperated. Overall not a strong episode but the epic moments with the cast made up for the weak plot for me.
That reminds me of the time....

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Milton Collins wrote:I have always really liked this episode for some reason. The faked wedding, the hot blonde (even though she's terribly mean and reminds me of my soon to be ex-wife lol) the cottage and the overall plot were all fun! I love when Rick drops the plastic champagne glass after calling Higgins a snob and telling him how much he liked the chanmpagne. Season 3 to me is possibly the best of the entire series. The outstanding episodes (Of Sound Mind, Did You See the Sunrise, Mixed Doubles, etc.) just keep rolling on!
Mixed Doubles??? :shock: :?:

I had to do a double-take to make sure I saw that correctly. The word "outstanding" can't possibly apply to that episode. How can one mention that episode in the same breath as Did You See the Sunrise??? One is at the top of the season and the other is at rock-bottom. For me it's the absolute worst of the season but even those who don't hate it (as few as they may be) can't call it outstanding. No way!! That's just wrong on so many levels. "Basket Case" is no great shakes either but even that one runs circles (pardon the pun) around "Mixed Doubles". At least Dana Hill's Willie character isn't as obnoxious as Kim Richards!! Shudder!!! Heck, I even prefer "Two Birds of a Feather". At least we get a plane that crashes in the tidal pool - great scene!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ENSHealy wrote: At this point in the series, he’s only mentioned “how to be a world class private investigator” twice. The “ace” reference probably stands out more to us because we’ve been through the whole series and heard it more, but someone watching the series in real time back in the 80s, it wouldn’t have stood out, since a real pattern of "world class" hadn't been established yet.
I'm curious, what has he used in place of "world class" prior to this? Because I know he's been regularly talking about writing this book, practically every case going back to season 1.