6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 90

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Sam »

Bingo Golf...you've got it...The first two pics are the studio,the next two at the estate...outdoors

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Sam »

Hi Golf,

The double doors behind the guard from this pic.

are located at the blue X.The guard is the green line..notice the door opening over the guard's left shoulder..that can be seen to the left of the post by green line...red mark is the front door.

So the double doors are positioned closer to the courtyard and the entry opens to the whole width of the ocean wing...Your yellow arrow could be another door or window on the ocean side..

This is the running shot of the guard.
http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss23 ... ate002.flv
Last edited by Sam on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#63 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam wrote:The first two pics are the studio,the next two at the estate...outdoors
How are the last two shots outdoors? I see walls and a ceiling! Or, are you saying that the cameras were positioned outdoors (near the patio), but they actually shot through the patio-side doorway, in a close-up shot, that made it appear they were inside??

Paging rubber chicken! Paging rubber chicken! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Sam »

James,
It's just a walkway under the second floor lanai from the driveway to the main door.House wall on the right,small wall for the small wing on the left.The doors are what's fooling you..Visualize it without the doors.It's an open walkway.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#65 Post by rubber chicken »

Whoa, there's some busy bees in this thread. If I can add my own comments... Sam has it right...

About where the camera crew was when shooting: I don't consider that to be inside the house. It's more like a semi outdoor walkway, or even a breezeway when the doors are left open. I think the doors are there to make the more inner area of the house (the actual front doors in the middle of the courtyard and the courtyard itself etc.) more private. When the house is opened up to the breeze (as it had to be when built in the early 1930s), you would want people to knock at the doors off the driveway instead of letting them walk through to where your doors to the inside of the house are wide open.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was common for people on the show to walk through that area to get quickly to the courtyard when they were working there, instead of walking all the way around to the courtyard gate. Of course I can't say whether that happened or not, but in any case the camera crew didn't go inside the house to get the shot.

It's easy to explain which shots were at the estate and which were on the set. When the camera is looking towards the driveway, they're at the estate, and when the camera is looking away from the driveway, they're on the set.

Look at the left side of this image, which is on the set. They didn't include the second double door, the one that would be on the right side of Higgins, seen in the second picture (which is at the estate).

Concerning the door seen at the far side of this photo:

The doors seem closer than real life because they're shooting with a long lens. A wider lens would make the doors seem far away. (The men are also further away from the camera than they appear.) The closed doors seen in that photo are the outside doors, the same ones seen in the middle of the picture below from No Need to Know (1.5):

About the doors on the other side of the room, the closer doorway seen here (from Hawaii Five-O's The Second Shot (3.3), 1970):

I'm 99% sure those are sliding pocket doors which disappear into the wall on either side of the doorway. The following picture shows the sliding doors in the doorway to the left of the doorway in question.

This photo shows where one side of the door slides into the wall:

The following picture shows the sliding door (from Sweet Terror (2.7), 1969).

While finishing up this post, I just now saw James' comment... "How are the last two shots outdoors? I see walls and a ceiling!" speaking about these two images which Sam spoke of as being outdoors. I like semi-outdoors (as I said at the beginning of this post which James hadn't read). With the ceiling it's out of the rain, and it's enclosed by three walls. But the forth is always open (I don't think there's any doors there that we haven't seen) and the doors off the driveway are often open. So that area always has elements of the outdoors.

Hope this adds to Sam's comments. :)
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by Sam »

Thanks RC,
Where the L were you 100 posts ago. :) :)
Hopefully your explanation clears this up..I like semi- enclosed and in no way would any of the walkway be considered to be in the house.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#67 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam/RC,

I'm following you for the most part; I understand completely about the "breezeway" that is adjacent to the patio. What I am still confused about is the door closest to the driveway, the door where Higgins is standing. Isn't that just to the left and up a bit from the red 'X' in this shot?

If so, that's not really in the breezway... is it? And if you closed the doors by the patio, wouldn't that make a complete enclosure?? Like a little den, or a foyer, or something?

AAaaahhhh!!! :?

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by lutherhgillis »

Great detective work, guys. Would anyone else like to tour that house???
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#69 Post by rubber chicken »

Sorry Sam, I didn't think I was away from the site that long, apparently there was a posing frenzy!

James, keep it together! We need you!

Your location for the door "just to the left and up a bit" is correct... but I'm not clear about what you're referring to as the breezeway and patio, because I could picture two of each.

When I said breezeway in this thread I was talking about this area where the wind can go through when the doors next to the driveway are open. Not the "breezeway" that cars can drive through to get to the garage at the back of the house.

And the patio... you mean the patio in-between the driveway and the double-doors? Or the patio that abuts the courtyard? If you mean the double-doors a few steps from the driveway... if you closed those that area would still be open on the courtyard side, as evidenced by these four pictures (from Cloth of Gold (4.20), 1972):

This is the side that's always open, making this area at best semi-outdoors, or semi-indoors, but neither indoors or outdoors. It exists in the ether, doomed to a life of architectural limbo.

lutherhgillis: It would be something to tour the house, I'd like to see the very seldom seen back yard and discover it's secrets. :)
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#70 Post by golfmobile »

James,

See if this helps you think of it:

To be inside, you have to be enclosed on six sides -- top, bottom, four walls. The passage way along the front of the house is missing one side, where the arches and columns are. When you move from walking along that front loggia into the "tunnel" between the house and that extra wing (with the red X on the roof), then you are missing a wall behind you, so you have only two walls, a ceiling, and the floor -- but the big double doors to the driveway make up a third wall, when closed. When the big wide doors open to the driveway, you're missing two sides, one in front and one in back of you (hence the "tunnel") so you're still "outside." You would be in a cul-de-sac if the driveway doors are closed, but you're still missing one wall -- the one that would close you off from the loggia.

Does that help?

Glad I found the French doors with my yellow arrow. If you look at the aerial shot closely, you'll see the little balcony the guards are standing on in the "Need to Know" shot RC posted. And I thought the interior French doors might be pocket doors too!!! Glad to hear someone else with such expertise thinks the same thing!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Sam »

It's clear now huh Golf..My email to you this morning I mentioned that I thought there was a door on the right..Here's a pic.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5989 ... e27om8.jpg

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#72 Post by golfmobile »

Sam,

:lol: :D

There's probably a door on the left too -- or how does one get into the short wing with our red X on the roof??

:wink:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#73 Post by J.J. Walters »

Aha! I get it now! This is the shot that clinched it for me...

I thought there were doors on that end.... two, big, giant doors! But now I see there are none! Everything makes sense now! Hallelujah!!

Also, when I was talking about the "breezeway", I thought you guys were talking about the area just under the second level balcony. And by "patio", I meant the grassy lawn just in front of the balcony (and the real front door).

rubber chicken wrote:This is the side that's always open, making this area at best semi-outdoors, or semi-indoors, but neither indoors or outdoors. It exits in the ether, doomed to a life of architectural limbo.
LOL!! :lol:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Sam »

Good deal James.The screen caps from RC certainly make it easier to understand.All I had to illustrate it was aerial shot,X's and O's.I was beginning to feel like John Madden.Guess I should have tossed in a few pows and bams. :) :)

Now what the heck is that next to Dannos head on the roof?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#75 Post by rubber chicken »

Sam wrote:Now what the heck is that next to Dannos head on the roof?
The thing that looks like a smudge? I've wondered about that, it could be sealant of some kind, or water damage? Whatever it is it was probably there for 20 years or more.

Hawaii Five-O, Cloth of Gold (4.20), 1972

Ki'i's Don't Lie (3.3)

Tigers Fan (8.4), 1987
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.