No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 106

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#76 Post by K Hale »

rubber chicken wrote:As Sam mentioned in this other thread, the "Low Surf Hotel" where the meeting of Higgins and Father Paddy McGuiness takes place is the Hotel Renew. (gm link) The lobby shots and rooftop scene (and Higgins driving up to the hotel) all appear to be at the same hotel.

Here's some links to illustrate the main hotels seen in the background:
Waikiki Banyan tower 2
Pacific Beach Hotel (on right)
Queen Kapiolani Hotel

Three in one:
Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort Kealohilani tower on left
Pacific Beach Hotel in middle
Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort Paoakalani tower on right

(notice the shot set in the lower right picture in this first collage)
A lady on Facebook said she had photos of the "Low Surf Hotel" scenes being filmed because she was in one of the towers across the street watching it. She was going to try to find them but I haven't heard anything more. She also said late in the day she went over to see if she could get in and bumped into Hillerman (literally) as he was coming out and looking very heat-exhausted from the long day of shooting on a hot rooftop.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#77 Post by K Hale »

MACattack wrote:The only stereotypes I noticed on the show were the police officer characters. Every character John Hillerman portrayed, he did it with excelllence. Larry, Roger and Tom did their best to portray vets, but Selleck was the only one with a military background.
Hillerman was in the Air Force. I believe Selleck was National Guard?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re: Faith and Begorrah (3.23)

#78 Post by MaximRecoil »

In this episode, at the "beach bar" on the roof, Higgins orders his whiskey "on the rocks" (with ice).

In the episode Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii, Higgins says to Magnum, "Don't ruin my whiskey with ice. I'm not a bloody American."

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

MaximRecoil wrote:In this episode, at the "beach bar" on the roof, Higgins orders his whiskey "on the rocks" (with ice).

In the episode Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii, Higgins says to Magnum, "Don't ruin my whiskey with ice. I'm not a bloody American."
Yes, I was always annoyed by that. Obviously, the writer of this episode didn't know the history of the character. Higgins wouldn't want bloody ice in his whiskey. (but possibly Higgins was expecting crap whiskey in such a shabby establishment and he thought ice might make it more tolerable, by watering it down)

Edit: I just noticed that the writer of this episode was Bellisario himself. (What the bloody hell is going on here?)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
MaximRecoil wrote:In this episode, at the "beach bar" on the roof, Higgins orders his whiskey "on the rocks" (with ice).

Yes, I was always annoyed by that. Obviously, the writer of this episode didn't know the history of the character. Higgins wouldn't want bloody ice in his whiskey. (but possibly Higgins was expecting crap whiskey in such a shabby establishment and he thought ice might make it more tolerable, by watering it down)

Edit: I just noticed that the writer of this episode was Bellisario himself. (What the bloody hell is going on here?)
Your 2nd explanation must be the correct one. He wanted to dilute the nasty stuff.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by MaximRecoil »

K Hale wrote: Your 2nd explanation must be the correct one. He wanted to dilute the nasty stuff.
He didn't know he was going to get bad stuff until after he ordered it on the rocks. When he ordered it, he ordered a specific brand or type of whiskey (I can't understand what he said) "on the rocks". In other words, he was ordering exactly what he wanted, and he wanted it "on the rocks", which is at odds with Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii.

When the bartender looked confused, Higgins said, "That's Scotch. You do have Scotch, don't you?" It was then that he found out that they only had $3.50-a-bottle made-in-Hawaii "Scotch". It seems that he actually ended up with some of his half-brother's Irish whiskey though, because after the bartender showed Higgins the Hawaiian "Scotch", his half-brother said, "Pour him a spot of my whiskey." Then, speaking to Higgins, he said, "They didn't have any Irish, so I went out and bought me some."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by K Hale »

MaximRecoil wrote:
K Hale wrote: Your 2nd explanation must be the correct one. He wanted to dilute the nasty stuff.
He didn't know he was going to get bad stuff until after he ordered it on the rocks. When he ordered it, he ordered a specific brand or type of whiskey (I can't understand what he said) "on the rocks". In other words, he was ordering exactly what he wanted, and he wanted it "on the rocks", which is at odds with Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii.

When the bartender looked confused, Higgins said, "That's Scotch. You do have Scotch, don't you?" It was then that he found out that they only had $3.50-a-bottle made-in-Hawaii "Scotch". It seems that he actually ended up with some of his half-brother's Irish whiskey though, because after the bartender showed Higgins the Hawaiian "Scotch", his half-brother said, "Pour him a spot of my whiskey." Then, speaking to Higgins, he said, "They didn't have any Irish, so I went out and bought me some."
He said Glen Heather.

It’s also at odds with every other time he drinks anything in the series. It never has ice, even when he pours one for someone else and that one has ice. Guess we have to put this down to a script error. :|
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

K Hale wrote: He said Glen Heather.

It’s also at odds with every other time he drinks anything in the series. It never has ice, even when he pours one for someone else and that one has ice. Guess we have to put this down to a script error. :|
No, he said Glencadam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencadam_distillery

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by MaximRecoil »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote: No, he said Glencadam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencadam_distillery
Yeah, that's what the DVD's subtitles say, though it sounds more like "Glen Cavit" to me (which isn't a real brand as far as I know):

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

MaximRecoil wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
K Hale wrote: He said Glen Heather.

No, he said Glencadam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencadam_distillery
Yeah, that's what the DVD's subtitles say, though it sounds more like "Glen Cavit" to me (which isn't a real brand as far as I know):

Hi MaximRecoil :D

Thanks for posting the subtitles to confirm it's Glencadam... that's what I heard and it clearly wasn't Glen Heather.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by K Hale »

That's so funny because I clearly heard "Glen Heather" and that's what the Amazon Prime Starz subtitles say!

I doubt they would have had him saying a real brand, a la Coop's.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by Kevster »

Higgins' order was probably a TV writer's play on Glenffidich, though it could be anything.

Besides the obvious human element that could create a lack of continuity in the writing for these characters, the other thing that I thought of with Higgins was he would wrap minor insults into many of the things he said to TM. Therefore, though JQH may have typically avoided ice in his whiskey, the comment was both a British thing and a disparagement of TM / US drinkers, etc. Higgins may have been fine with ice in his drinks on occasion, but he liked to goad TM constantly... Hence, his extreme answers might often be a dig rather than pure preference.
Trust Me!!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by K Hale »

Kevster wrote:Higgins' order was probably a TV writer's play on Glenffidich, though it could be anything.
Yep, there is a Glenlivet too.
Besides the obvious human element that could create a lack of continuity in the writing for these characters, the other thing that I thought of with Higgins was he would wrap minor insults into many of the things he said to TM. Therefore, though JQH may have typically avoided ice in his whiskey, the comment was both a British thing and a disparagement of TM / US drinkers, etc. Higgins may have been fine with ice in his drinks on occasion, but he liked to goad TM constantly... Hence, his extreme answers might often be a dig rather than pure preference.
You may be on to something there because I have noticed examples where he goes out of his way to pretend total unfamiliarity with some factor that you know he is perfectly aware of, such as fortune cookies or "David Duck." :lol: He likes to set himself apart, but at the same time he doesn't like to be left out. :higgins:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by K Hale »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Image
They watched the DVD. :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!