#121 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:BIRDMAN OF BUDAPEST
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 2 black tank top, white logo; black crew, white logo
Body Count: .5 Merlin the Macaw
Shirtless: 0
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: .5 A private investigator should never get stiffed by a deadbeat.
Investigator corrections: 0
Magnum injuries: .5 talon scratches on face from Merlin attack
Higgins musings: 2
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations: 1 – 3 weeks full estate privileges for finding Tessa
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 8.5

Potential magnumania usernames: Kraig Maynard, King of the Condos, Bill Rogers, Ms. Roebuck

Higgins Clubs: Pan-Pacific Academy of Modern Literature
UPDATE - BIRDMAN OF BUDAPEST
Famous guest stars: 1 Dr. No!
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 2 black tank, white logo; black crew, white logo
Shirtless:
OMG/Extraordinarys: 3
Higgins Organizations: 1 Pan-Pacific Academy of Modern Literature
Higgins musings: 1
Negotiations: 1 – 3 weeks full estate privileges for finding Tessa
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: .5 A private investigator should never get stiffed by a deadbeat.
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks: 1
Magnumometer: 12.5
Magnumometer moments: https://vimeo.com/381071155

It doesn’t really rise to the level of a flub, but I was sort of bothered by how, when Ms. Roebuck blasts out the Ferrari’s windscreen, the gun blast is followed instantly by squealing tires. Even if she fired from inside the car (and the angle of the hole in the windscreen suggests that was not the case) the tire squealing came too soon after the report from the gun. I suppose it might have been possible if she fired with one hand and the car was an automatic.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Birdman of Budapest (3.16)

#122 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:
Agatha wrote:Isn't there a mention about Hungarian acrobats in Past Tense when Thomas and Rick break into TC's office to see if they can figure out who...besides Higgins...went up with him that day? Seems like Thomas broke the window in the door and Rick asked him why he didn't pick the lock and Thomas says that TC pick-proofed it because of the Hungarian acrobats...???
:)
There is a reference to Hungarian Acrobats in that episode, and there’s also a reference to Rick finding a pair of “spangled tights” in T.C.’s desk drawer. I’ve always wondered if the acrobats are supposed to explain the tights. They never follow up on why T.C. had spangled tights in his desk drawer. I, for one, am curious.
Turns out my statement that "they never follow up on why T.C. had spangled tights in his desk drawer" wasn't totally correct. They don't give us much info, but they do directly tie the tights to the acrobats, in this scene from 3.21 ...By Its Cover: https://vimeo.com/382092762
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#123 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Just watched this one again. Love it! Great episode!

We joke about the macaw attack but I would REALLY love to hear or read about how that particular scene was filmed. Couldn't have been easy. Obviously it must have involved a trained macaw and its trainer right there on the set, fake blood on Selleck's arms (or was that a stuntman? maybe even the macaw's trainer himself?), and a bunch of other shenanigans to make the whole thing work and look believable. That macaw really does look like it's attacking poor Thomas! Anyone have any ideas or insights?

Also, I saw only one other person on here mentioned this hilarious scene. So I'll mention it as well. At the airport when the Audi is being towed you see poor Higgy lumbering in the most hilarious manner after the tow truck, all while yelling "halt, halt, I say halt". :lol: :lol: :lol: One of the most hilarious things I've ever witnessed with Higgy-baby.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Also, I saw only one other person on here mentioned this hilarious scene. So I'll mention it as well. At the airport when the Audi is being towed you see poor Higgy lumbering in the most hilarious manner after the tow truck, all while yelling "halt, halt, I say halt". :lol: :lol: :lol: One of the most hilarious things I've ever witnessed with Higgy-baby.

:higgins:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by K Hale »

God bless him, he’s built for comfort, not for speed.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#126 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:God bless him, he’s built for comfort, not for speed.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#127 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:

:higgins:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Lol that's the one! I can't stop laughing!!! I'm trying to come up with a name for what that is. Anyone care to offer suggestions?

Seriously! Give me an episode like this one (with an actual storyline and genuine comedy) over something overrated like "Of Sound Mind" where the story is one fat zero and the comedy (dress-up ball?) is not even funny. Roscoe Lee Browne as Carlton was the only real highlight there.

WaialuaSugarBar
Ensign

#128 Post by WaialuaSugarBar »

A couple of questions.

Was "Mrs. Roebuck" actually "Mr. Maynard"? Her evasiveness (and his absence) made me wonder, but at one point Higgins refers to Maynard being highly visible and a director of the King Kamehameha Club, so probably not.

I think someone else pointed this out: I find no evidence that TS was a volleyball player at all for USC, much less an All American. That should be deleted from the episode description. (Full disclosure: Go Bruins!)

As also perhaps pointed out in prior comments: who invited "Elizabeth Barrett" to the estate? Perhaps the real Elizabeth Barrett was actually invited by the real Robin Masters (Orson Wells), but then the Sylvia Sidney (amazing actress) character caught wind of that and did her KGB thing? That's the only logical explanation I can think of for how this episode could have started.

Stay strong, Lahaina!