11. From Moscow to Maui
12. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
13. Billy Joe Bob
14. Mad Buck Gibson

Turkey
Admiral

Re: Computer Date (2.14)

#77 Post by Turkey »

The training scenes are quite fantastic, haven't seen this one in a while, great stuff
Make it two weeks.

f14peter
Lieutenant

#78 Post by f14peter »

f14peter wrote:
By the way, did anyone else notice that the security guard Magnum talks to outside the company ... his nametag said "WALRUS"
karolis wrote:
Rocket wrote:

So you are right!
OK, COMPUTER DATE the guard's name is "WALRUS" and in UGLIEST DOG it's "BEAR" . Has to be something behind that

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#79 Post by J.J. Walters »

Polar Bears eat Walrus'. It's symbolic. He's trying to shed his former self and become a new person. Isn't it obvious? :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Wow, that's... deep.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#81 Post by K Hale »

Milton Collins wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Love the denouement in this one. Higgins is relieved to find out that Lady Ashley (whom he hasn't seen in "decades") is no longer "built like the Prince Albert Memorial" (LOL), and has aged in a similiar manner as him (i.e. she's put on a little weight). How surprised he must have been then, when in a couple of years (in "Echoes of the Mind"), she returns and sports the body of a runway model (and is about 6 inches taller)*! :shock:

* This is, of course, due to "Lady Ashley" being played by two different actresses, but still! ;)
I'm totally confused, this is indeed the same Lady Ashley played twice in 2 seperate episodes by different actresses? Isn't this a major mistake/flub? Maybe they did it on purpose and just didn't think people would catch it on the initial run of the series?
It's kind of a rewrite of a character. In effect there were two Lady Ashleys, played by different actresses, and each Lady Ashley had a different first name (Penelope in "Computer Date" and Elizabeth in "Echoes of the Mind"). They also had different backstories, one involving a broken engagement and the other involving Higgins stopping her runaway horse.

I have never been sure whether to consider them to be one person with major rewrites, or two different people Higgins had a past with.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

karolis wrote:
ENSHealy wrote: The security guard at the gate of Global Laser is the same actor who was the cop at the airport who took a bribe from the "old moustache" to not have to move the car out of the loading and unloading only zone, in Ugliest Dog in Hawaii.
Guard of Global Laser:

Guard in Ugliest Dog in Hawaii:

So you are right!
In the credits it says the security guard is played by Frank Atienza. This is incorrect, as Atienza guest-starred in other episodes and he's an older and more heavy-set actor. Not sure who played this much younger guard in this episode.

Nifty911
Captain

#83 Post by Nifty911 »

I thought this had an interesting plot twist.

Something stood out though. Remember the blow up?

Rick get pissed at Magnum, Magnum tried to stay out of it, Rick blames Magnum (IDK for what), TC sides with Rick telling Magnum Rick was supposed to be his buddy, Higgins backs Magnum.

What exactly does Rick and TC think Magnum should have done?

I think Higgins point was proper. Can't say much for Rick or TC with this one.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by K Hale »

Nifty911 wrote:I thought this had an interesting plot twist.

Rick get pissed at Magnum, Magnum tried to stay out of it, Rick blames Magnum (IDK for what), TC sides with Rick telling Magnum Rick was supposed to be his buddy, Higgins backs Magnum.

Rick is mad at Magnum because he thinks Magnum was spying on him, even though Magnum told them he has not told his client about Rick's involvement with the married woman. I'm not quite clear what it is they think he should have done. I guess called Rick and said "Hey this guy hired me to spy on this woman and it turns out you're dating her"?

Magnum and Higgins were right. It seemed to me Rick was pissed that Magnum caught him doing something he shouldn't have been doing. Why TC took Rick's side, I don't know, except it didn't seem like TC was mad at Magnum when Magnum first arrived at the club. He smiled and gave him a little wave hello. It was only after Rick stomped off when Higgins wouldn't let him throw Magnum out (haha, what a reversal) that TC got up and left because of all the tension. TC probably just wants everyone to be peaceful.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Chris109 »

K Hale wrote:
Nifty911 wrote:I thought this had an interesting plot twist.

Rick is mad at Magnum because he thinks Magnum was spying on him, even though Magnum told them he has not told his client about Rick's involvement with the married woman. I'm not quite clear what it is they think he should have done. I guess called Rick and said "Hey this guy hired me to spy on this woman and it turns out you're dating her"?

Magnum and Higgins were right. It seemed to me Rick was pissed that Magnum caught him doing something he shouldn't have been doing. Why TC took Rick's side, I don't know, except it didn't seem like TC was mad at Magnum when Magnum first arrived at the club. He smiled and gave him a little wave hello. It was only after Rick stomped off when Higgins wouldn't let him throw Magnum out (haha, what a reversal) that TC got up and left because of all the tension. TC probably just wants everyone to be peaceful.
Rick always was a loose uzi, er, cannon.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#86 Post by ENSHealy »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:* Rick is seen to drive his second car of the series, a convertible silver Mercedes, for the firs time (I’m not a car expert so don’t know the exact model).
Actually, the first time the Mercedes convertible appeared, I believe, is in Memories are Forever, when Rick backs in next to Mac to keep Mac from warning Buck the meeting on the boat is a setup.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by ENSHealy »

K Hale wrote:
SignGuyHPW wrote:In middle school, which was right around this same time, come to think of it, we were made to go through a torture called "The Presidential Fitness Program." What it had to do with being presidential was never made clear to us, but it involved what felt like Olympic level physical fitness training that I for one failed miserably at.
If memory serves, it was called the Presidential Fitness program because it was started by JFK when he was President, to encourage physical fitness in kids. I too remember (not fondly) the chin-ups and the runs it required...
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by ENSHealy »

2.14 COMPUTER DATE
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum gunshot wounds:
Shirtless:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: 2
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations: 1
Famous guest stars:
Higgins Organizations:
Magnumometer: 5

Potential magnumania usernames: Lady Ashley (taken), The Lady Ashley, Paolo, Prince Albert, Prince Albert Memorial

Tried something new: a video compilation of the Magnumometer moments from the episode.
https://vimeo.com/371747429

And last, but not least, in follow up to my previous comment:
ENSHealy wrote:Did anyone else think that the plane that takes off in the background at the end looked "photoshopped" in. Obviously, not photoshop, but whatever tech they would have used at the time. It looks almost cartoony, I think because the light on the plane and the light in the scene are different.
Here's the scene. Anyone else think that plane looks dropped in from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
https://vimeo.com/371762281
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Stef
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#89 Post by Stef »

I’m not sure but I think I’ve miss something or so... The director of the company sent his wife to sleep with a friend of a private investigator to confuse him. Knowingly that the PI as no idea of who is the spy in the company and even less idea of the steal money and country escape.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Gorilla Mask »

I should have missed it too... i just don't get it... That is surely blocked somewhere in my brain... :(

So Randolph hired Magnum to uncover the maule, then when Magnum was near (to discover that there was a maule and a 2M USD robber) , he just linked him on the track of... Rick who was, as previously planned, (15 days before) his wife anticipated (and effective...)lover...

All this, on order to deceive Magnum, divert him, and to compell him (by friendship and by professional ethic) to quit both affairs...

hugh... my head...

This plot is just... unbeleivable, sorry ... :(

At last, Higgins Spin off story saved the day :P
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."