6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 123

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#11 Post by Shermy »

Doc Ibold wrote:I could have sworn that it WAS the Marquise who did it, as I thought he dropped a little hint about it.
Magnum confronts him about it, but the Marquise doesn't know what he's talking about. He then admits it wasn't him, but that it sounds like a really great idea.

I think it's implied that Katrina was responsible, since whoever did it observed Magnum's reaction through a telescopic lens- and Katrina later develops photos in the darkroom.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I got the impression that it was Katrina Tremaine as well. *shudder* Just saying her name kind of creeps me out. She's seriously more scary than Alex Forrest in Fatal Attraction or Evelyn Draper in Play Misty For Me! Run Magnum Run!!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

Yeah, nutty as a fruitcake.

However, this episode has one of the best resolutions in the series.

The whole scene where all the students think its an act, AWESOME

grundle
Admiral

#14 Post by grundle »

Car Damage page wrote: http://magnum-mania.com/Lists/Car_Damage.html

Car Damage

Fender Scratch

"Italian Ice" (2.16)

Apparently caused by a student at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, where the car was parked.

Nope. The scratch was made by Katrina.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

grundle wrote:Nope. The scratch was made by Katrina.
Doh!

Clearly I need to watch this episode again. In another thread, my recollection was that Magnum shot Katrina at the end. Wrong! Here, I thought a student scratched the Ferrari when it was Katrina! :oops:

Anyway, thanks grundle!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Sam »

James

Two things from Italian Ice..The student was played by Mark Tuinei who went on to play for the Dallas Cowboys for 15 seasons.He recently died of a drug overdose.

Somewhere you posted about Shocking Trivia..I don't know if this qualifies but the Marquis bodyguard,Lenny Montana was reputed to be a mob hitman.

This from IMDB.

According to British documentary "The Godfather & The Mob" Lenny Montana is described as a former mob hitman & bodyguard who wanted to become an actor.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh wow, I knew about Tuinei, but not about Lenny Montana. In addition to being a former mobster, he was also, apparently, a pro wrestler in the 1950s and 1960s. And he played bodyguard Luca Brasi in The Godfather, his first acting role! :shock:

Thanks Sam!

grundle
Admiral

#18 Post by grundle »

James J. Walters wrote:
grundle wrote:Nope. The scratch was made by Katrina.
Doh!

Clearly I need to watch this episode again. In another thread, my recollection was that Magnum shot Katrina at the end. Wrong! Here, I thought a student scratched the Ferrari when it was Katrina! :oops:

Anyway, thanks grundle!

You're welcome!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Sam »

>>Oh wow, I knew about Tuinei<<
Yes Sir.it pays to read your episode guide.I did see that after my post.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#20 Post by Tralfaz »

Hey spotters....with the DVD.

At approximately 3/4 to 7/8 of the way thru the show, Magnum and Rick are holding the Marquisee and bodyguard at gunpoint in a Hotel. There is a shot of them sitting on a couch and directly behind them is a cabinet with bamboo doors. Is this not also the gun cabinet in Higgins study?
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#21 Post by rubber chicken »

I think you're right. There's a backing behind the bars in Higgins' study and not in the hotel room, but otherwise it's too close to think they aren't the same prop. How odd, and only two minutes apart. By the expression on his face, I think the guy on the right is looking at the prop master.

Last edited by rubber chicken on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#22 Post by Tralfaz »

Thanks RC!

I have been wondering about this for quite some time.... [I don't have alot going on..... ;) ] I think I remember mentioning it in the "The Study" thread, so thanks for confirming!

T
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

John
Ensign

#23 Post by John »

I really liiked some of the confrontations between Higgens and Magnum. This is the one where Mimi Rogers asks Magnum if Higgins will be upset about the scratch in the Ferrari. Magnum tries to rub it out with spit and she replies that it won't do the job. Magnum replies, "Higgins will understand, it's not my fault."
The next scene is Higgins calling Magnum an irresponsible cretin and Magun says it's just a scratch and Higgins says if it was he would have tried to "rub it out with spit or something eqally disgusting" and Magnum weakly responds "no I wouldn't."

Great Stuff!

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by Jodykmg365 »

This is one of the episodes that I clearly remember watching as a child. The reason I remember it so clearly is Katrina. She was a nutcase. I agree that it was her who scratched the car. The reason I think it was her is because of the way she took the scissors to the pic of Margot and Magnum.

A P Leyland
Captain

#25 Post by A P Leyland »

Really enjoyed this one. One of the things I'm liking about the show on this go round is how they slightly skew established TV cliches. So far we've had some stock stories that appeared on every 70's/80's Cop/detective show and yet Magnum PI has put a nifty twist on most of them. Plots like "Falls in Love with Ballerina", "Amnesia" and "Psycho nutjob bunny boiler girlfriend" were all done on Starsky & Hutch but this managed some interesting twists. On S&H the ballerina episode was horribly melodramatic with Hutch declaring undying love for this person we knew we'd never see again, but Magnum had both parties acknowledging that it was only a fling - a much more adult and mature approach. This episode was wonderful at skewing expectations with Katrina being really normal for half the episode. Other shows telegraph how nutty the girlfriend is well in advance. And Higgins being shot was shocking! A Fine episode.
Andy