5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 123

karolis
Admiral

Re: Italian Ice (2.16)

#91 Post by karolis »

Quote from the Episode Guide:
When Magnum pulls out of the estate after talking to Katrina, there is a shot of the Ferrari making a turn with a different driver, one with no baseball cap and a different shirt on. In the next immediate shot we see Magnum again with the correct cap and shirt.
Here's the screenshot of the guy in the Ferrari:

Here's my Season Two's Top up to this episode:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. Italian Ice
5. Try to Remember
6. The Woman on the Beach
7. The Jororo Kill
8. Computer Date
9. Dead Man’s Channel
10. Wave Goodbye
11. Ghost Writer
12. The Sixth Position
13. From Moscow to Maui
14. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
15. Billy Joe Bob
16. Mad Buck Gibson

It looks like at this point of the season show really was on a rise, because it's 4th episode in a row that i rated 9.0-9.5.
Last edited by karolis on Sat May 19, 2018 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#92 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yep, and that's definitely not Selleck! That's Tom Lupo, one of his stunt double's! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by K Hale »

By the way, as someone who took Italian in high school, "buongiorno" is ten letters. :higgins:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Not sure if this is on the DVD print, but the Blu-ray of this episode has this visible for a split second when Magnum asks "You're not angry anymore?".

As someone with a Theatre diploma and acting classes under her belt, exercises like Margo's can be done today, but more often (at least in my neck of the woods) they're between two students and not a student and a teacher, with the actors' comfort being the most important thing, so an actor touching another without prior permission would be a huge no-no.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by K Hale »

Of note: Higgins' breakfast drink in this scene is champagne. There's not any tea, or coffee. There isn't even any OJ on the table to make mimosas or anything like that. He's just straight up drinking champagne for breakfast. :lol: :higgins:

It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by KingKC »

K Hale wrote:Of note: Higgins' breakfast drink in this scene is champagne. There's not any tea, or coffee. There isn't even any OJ on the table to make mimosas or anything like that. He's just straight up drinking champagne for breakfast. :lol: :higgins:

Did Higgins work the NY Times crosswords or the London Times crosswords? If he is working the NY Times daily crosswords those start easy ion Monday and get progressively harder by Saturday which can be real jewels. Sundays are not as tough, just longer. I also remember one episode where working the crossword, or a certain answer to a crossword hint, was used by Magnum for bargaining rights at the estate (he had the answers from somewhere and conned Higgins, if I remember.). Which episode was that???

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by K Hale »

KingKC wrote:
K Hale wrote:Of note: Higgins' breakfast drink in this scene is champagne. There's not any tea, or coffee. There isn't even any OJ on the table to make mimosas or anything like that. He's just straight up drinking champagne for breakfast. :lol: :higgins:

Did Higgins work the NY Times crosswords or the London Times crosswords? If he is working the NY Times daily crosswords those start easy ion Monday and get progressively harder by Saturday which can be real jewels. Sundays are not as tough, just longer. I also remember one episode where working the crossword, or a certain answer to a crossword hint, was used by Magnum for bargaining rights at the estate (he had the answers from somewhere and conned Higgins, if I remember.). Which episode was that???
That's this episode. Higgins took away the Ferrari because Magnum brought it home with a gouge in it (caused by crazy Katrina). Magnum bet Higgins he could answer a crossword question in exchange for getting the Ferrari back. But because Higgins had been in the hospital for a week with the gunshot wound, he was a week behind on the crosswords and Magnum already had the current answers to last week's puzzle. Although I would have liked to see what Higgins did once he realized the crossword was missing from the current edition of the newspaper...

Higgins says it is the London Times Sunday crossword. And naturally, he's doing it in ink.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#98 Post by Pahonu »

I have to add that champagne is delicious with prosciutto and melon. I've never had it at breakfast before like Higgins is, but it is a good combo. Surprisingly, champagne is also delicious with fried chicken. No kidding! Give it a try... but maybe not for breakfast!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#99 Post by brianw »

Pretty good ep. Crazy that Mark Tuinei had a cameo here before he became an NFL star. Other good guests are the well known Mimi Rogers, and the actress that played Katrina is memorable as Tina in Jaws 2.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#100 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:

I have to add that champagne is delicious with prosciutto and melon. I've never had it at breakfast before like Higgins is, but it is a good combo. Surprisingly, champagne is also delicious with fried chicken. No kidding! Give it a try... but maybe not for breakfast!
Here in Dallas there was a restaurant that specialized in fried chicken and champagne called Max's Wine Dive. Their motto, on a sign on the building, was "Fried chicken and champagne... why the hell not?!"
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

How decadent. I don't usually have champagne until at least 10:00am. (I had champagne for lunch today.)

The thing about champagne, though, is that once you open the bottle, you basically have to drink the whole thing or else it goes flat and is ruined. I assume Higgins drank the whole thing. I don't think he's the kind of guy to waste a good champagne. (...unless he thought the lads might want some)
K Hale wrote:Their motto, on a sign on the building, was "Fried chicken and champagne... why the hell not?!"
I like their motto. :D

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
How decadent. I don't usually have champagne until at least 10:00am. (I had champagne for lunch today.)

The thing about champagne, though, is that once you open the bottle, you basically have to drink the whole thing or else it goes flat and is ruined. I assume Higgins drank the whole thing. I don't think he's the kind of guy to waste a good champagne. (...unless he thought the lads might want some)
I didn't think of that aspect. There's no putting the cork back in? (I don't drink.) That's... an awful lot of alcohol first thing in the morning. Maybe he was trying to prepare for a long, tiresome day of dealing with Katrina, who he apparently dislikes.

Katrina did wind up having some of it, though. At least one glass, possibly more if she stuck around to annoy him.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Chris109 »

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by ENSHealy »

I wonder if this will all fit on one screen....
grundle wrote:Magnum comments that the rich Italian guy probably didn't pay the taxes on the piece of jewelry that the girl stole from him. And then the rich Italian guy says, "Why should I? They'd just give the money to the communists."
Actually, it was Rick that made the comment about the taxes.
IslandHopper wrote:I have another question about this episode. Was it ever revealed who scratched Robin's Ferrari while parked at the University of Hawaii? Remember, Magnum thought this may have been revenge for scratching the Marquises' Ferrari while Magnum was escaping.
Doc Ibold wrote:I remember first watching that I thought it was Katrina who did it, but how could she have gotten off the grounds (prior to shooting Higgins)?
It has to have been Katrina, even though that’s borderline impossible from a logistics standpoint. I think someone else comments elsewhere in this thread that Higgins later says that she drove in to town and it is possible she could have followed Magnum into Honolulu. However, since she stands in the driveway and watches Magnum drive away, that seems highly improbable. She would have had to go get the keys to the Audi from Higgins and then catch up to Magnum. This is hardly to be expected of a woman who couldn’t find her own way down from the balcony to the courtyard, despite the fact she must somehow have gotten upstairs in the first place.
Shermy wrote:I think it's implied that Katrina was responsible, since whoever did it observed Magnum's reaction through a telescopic lens- and Katrina later develops photos in the darkroom.
Nevertheless, it must be her, despite yet another failing in plot logistics. If in theory she had somehow been able to follow TM to campus, she would have had plenty of time after he parked to (somehow silently) gouge the car and then take up a hidden spot with a long lens to survey the aftermath, but how can one explain that when looking through the view finder at Thomas opening the door for Margo, she has this vantage point, Image
yet later when developing film, the print shows the same event from an entirely different angle? Image
If this camera (Robin’s presumably?) had been in Dallas in 63, we might have a shot of that magic bullet.
lutherhgillis wrote:In the scene where TM is coming out of the guesthouse door and runs down the steps to trip over the crazy girl there is something interesting.

This is really the boathouse not a guesthouse. This scene is a continuous shot (as far as I can tell). Watch the area behind TM while the door is open. You can see what looks like stairs going down in the same fashion as the set of the guesthouse. I wonder why the boathouse was constructed in such a way? Anyone have any ideas? Maybe there really was a small guest quarters or game room or teen retreat or something there... It's wierd how they went to so much trouble to make stairs to go up on the outside just to go right back down on the inside...

It’s been discussed elsewhere in this forum, but that railing is just a prop, it isn’t an actual staircase. You can sort of tell by the fact that the top rail slopes down yet the bottom rail continues straight, so in theory it would end up in a point at about where the landing is on the theoretical staircase. However, note that if you look through the railing you can clearly see the floor continuing past it, and the baseboard trim on the opposite wall. Here is a picture of that room posted when the estate was for sale. Unfortunately, we don’t get a view looking from the other side of the room, where the theoretical stairs would have been.
Seaver41 wrote:was that TC breaking the 4th wall in the chopper when Magnum told him to take off? Sure looked like it.
It sure was.
J.J. Walters wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:
308GUY wrote:Sure looked like it to me, I thought it was great! Don't recall seeing TC doing it anywhere else, though not saying it's impossible, only that I don't recall seeing it.:)

Cracked me up when TM got in the chopper on the roof, and TC was expecting his paying fare, that would be a good vid clip to find and post, TC's reaction that is.. :lol:
TC does it once in season one about magnum owing him something. Something along the lines of "Does it ever occur to you..."
T.C. says hello. :)

But that pic above is the 4th wall break in Curse of the KKC. The one that Doc Ibold is referring to takes place in Missing In Action.
Doc Ibold wrote:Good catch on the missing hour.

The only thing I can think of is that going to Robins Nest would take them over their allotted flight, so he was charging them an extra hour?

Or, as you put it, a flub!
TC states both that it will be an hour long flight to Robin’s Nest “on the other side of the island” and that it will be an extra charge. Google maps says drive time from Waikiki to Waimanalo is 30 mins and from Waikiki to Haleiwa is 45 mins, so it would seem unlikely it would take the chopper an hour to get to either place.
charybdis1966 wrote:I noticed that when Higgins comes in to the study just before he gets shot he says "the cricket was called. "presumably he meant "called off"?

Might this be an Americanism accidentally left in Higgins’ dialogue? “Called off” is frequently shortened to just “called” here in the States (hence his “called due to rain”). Is the same not done in Mother England?
charybdis1966 wrote:Additionally I noticed he had entirely inappropriate footwear on for playing cricket, they looked like white loafers to me, to be really fussy about that he should have either had small spiked shoes or if the pitch was dry, pimply soled cricket boots would have been fine too.
Oh, I don’t know, they aren’t too far off. For modern cricket shoes, yes, but you know Higgy likes to kick it old school. Compare the two below.
K Hale wrote:I didn't think of that aspect. There's no putting the cork back in? (I don't drink.) That's... an awful lot of alcohol first thing in the morning. Maybe he was trying to prepare for a long, tiresome day of dealing with Katrina, who he apparently dislikes.

Katrina did wind up having some of it, though. At least one glass, possibly more if she stuck around to annoy him.
Perhaps Higgins lets Kenji and “the cook” finished it off when he cracks open a bottle for breakfast? I can’t see JQH downing a whole bottle. If Julia Child is any indication, the cuisine wouldn’t suffer for it.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by ENSHealy »

2.16 ITALIAN ICE
Hawaiian shirts:
Island Hopper shirts: 2 blue on yellow, white on blue
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum bullet wounds:
Shirtless: 1
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks: 2 – 1 each Thomas and TC
Negotiations: 2 taking away the Ferrari for not making Magnum pay for the gouge, then the crossword for the car back
Famous guest stars:
Higgins Organizations:
OMGs: 1
Magnumometer: 9

Magnumometer moments: https://vimeo.com/372152442?autoplay=1
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."