No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 123

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re: Italian Ice (2.16)

#106 Post by Gorilla Mask »

I rated this one as 'very good': adequate suspense, good drama, some fair playing (especially from the female characters) and an absolutely awesome ending with the crossword riddle ! I've never seen Magnum cheating with such a class before ! :D

A classic reference from the early seasons ! 8)

edit: Mimi Rodgers gave off here a very natural charm: a pity she did not came back later in the serie.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by charybdis1966 »

ENSHealy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 pm I wonder if this will all fit on one screen....

charybdis1966 wrote:I noticed that when Higgins comes in to the study just before he gets shot he says "the cricket was called. "presumably he meant "called off"?

Might this be an Americanism accidentally left in Higgins’ dialogue? “Called off” is frequently shortened to just “called” here in the States (hence his “called due to rain”). Is the same not done in Mother England?
charybdis1966 wrote:Additionally I noticed he had entirely inappropriate footwear on for playing cricket, they looked like white loafers to me, to be really fussy about that he should have either had small spiked shoes or if the pitch was dry, pimply soled cricket boots would have been fine too.
Oh, I don’t know, they aren’t too far off. For modern cricket shoes, yes, but you know Higgy likes to kick it old school. Compare the two below.

Good points there ENSHealey.

You're right about an Americanism being left in Higgy's script as I've never heard a game being referred to as "called" when it's been cancelled.

An older gent like Higgy would no doubt eschew modern cricket footwear and go for the retro styling, probably to honour WG Grace or some such luminary of an earlier cricketing age.

Good pick on the modern player, Abdul Qadir, the Pakistan legspinner (although my personal favourite all time great legspinner would be either Shane Warne or Bhagwat Chandrasekhar; Warne for the sheer number of wickets he took in his career or Chandrasekhar for overcoming polio to become a legendary attacking legspinner for India back in the 1970's).

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by ENSHealy »

Updated Magnumometer after 40th Anniversary viewing:

EPISODE: 2.16 Italian Ice

Famous guest stars: 2 Half-point each for Mimi Rogers and Marc Tuinei, as neither were really famous at the time episode originally aired, but a full point for Luca Brasi.
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 2
Shirtless Magnum: 1
OMG: 1
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings: 1
Negotiations: 2 Taking away the Ferrari for not making Magnum pay for the scratch/gouge, then the crossword for the car back
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Body Count (by Magnum):
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks: 2
Magnumometer: 12
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/372152442
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence