7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 107

giant_albatross
Lieutenant Commander

Re: One More Summer (2.17)

#76 Post by giant_albatross »

karolis wrote:When i watched this episode a year ago, i was surprised to see Dick Butkus on opening credits. Not that i'm a fan of American football, i don't even know the rules, i'm not from USA. I was surprised to see Lithuanian last name as i, myself, am Lithuanian. I instantly googled it and got confirmation that he is in fact of Lithuanian descent. For such a small country it's not that often you see Lithuanian on American movies or TV. This is especially nice to see on one of my favourite 80s TV show! Some few other famous Lithuanians that i remember is - Robert Zemeckis, Ruta Lee, Charles Bronson, Jason Sudeikis, John C. Reilly.
I'm one-quarter Lithuanian. My grandfathers parents moved to the US from Lithuania to work in the coal mines in Pennsylvania (he was born here but grew up with the language at home). While the number who came to the US were relatively small, the ones who did tended to suffer a good bit of discrimination, oddly enough, being they tend to be good looking, tall, often blonde people. They generally worked unpopular jobs, like mining, working in slaughter houses, or other manual labor. Many of my relatives, apparently, even lied about their heritage to avoid discrimination. Assimilation was important in those days. So yes, there are definitely some Americans who have Lithuanian ancestry. I believe Pennsylvania and Chicago are the primary areas where they settled.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#77 Post by K Hale »

MaiTaiMan wrote:Okay...are we back in some stupid high school locker room? :shock: This has got to be one of the worst, and most ridiculous, plots/episodes of the series! :cry:

This is just as bad as the "Charlie's Angels" episode "Pom Pom Angels"...where they go undercover at some minor league football game as cheerleaders. Whether it's Magnum or the Angels...we are talking about 27-35 year old people here, folks! GROW THE HECK UP!!! :roll: Leave the locker room mentality for the teens...and their coaches, who most never grew up out of the locker rooms themselves. :wink:

This episode was pathetic and served no point, and I hardly ever watch it when going through the show! :x This, along with "Adelaide" and "Billy Joe Bob", may very well be my least favorite episodes of the show. :evil:
That about sums it up for me too. Garbage episode saved by the wonderful TM/JQH scenes. The crane shot of Higgins and the lads on the lawn really gets me. Everything in it is gone now.
Dave Anderson wrote: Honestly, the whole backstory that Magnum was a star QB at the Naval Academy always bothered me as too far fetched. If he had been a star QB, the first thing many people would say when they meet him throughout the series, would have been to mention that or say they remember his playing days, wouldn't it? It would seem like kind of a big deal.

They tried too hard to give superhero backstories to the characters in the series (Higgins being royalty for example). The far out backstories often bothered me. That said, therefore, I don't find this episode necessarily any less believable than him having been a star QB in the first place, though its not one of my favorites.
Many people do not watch football, and many of those who do, do not watch college football. I could not name one person in history who ever played college football, let alone remember a guy who played for Annapolis X-number of years ago and then didn't go on to the pros. I don't find that at all unbelievable, and of course we do not see all of Magnum's clients. It's very possible he did run into somebody who remembered him.

As for Higgins, he isn't royalty, he is a member of the peerage, meaning somebody way back in his ancestry did the king a favor and was granted a title, which then gets passed down to the offspring.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#78 Post by brianw »

I am a huge football fan, so this is one of the more memorable eps for me. It was pretty good, but any sports scenes are always a challenge for filming. Very few films or shows can make sports look authentic, especially football. Obligatory Dick Butkus guest starring role in a football ep. And Pat Morita??? haha. And the team owner is very recognizable from several tv shows and soap operas, especially DOOL.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Chris109 »

brianw wrote:I am a huge football fan, so this is one of the more memorable eps for me. It was pretty good, but any sports scenes are always a challenge for filming. Very few films or shows can make sports look authentic, especially football. Obligatory Dick Butkus guest starring role in a football ep. And Pat Morita??? haha. And the team owner is very recognizable from several tv shows and soap operas, especially DOOL.
Rayna 16

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by ENSHealy »

2.17 ONE MORE SUMMER
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum gunshot wounds:
Shirtless: 1
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: 2
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations:
Higgins Organizations:
OMGs:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 5

Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/373731245?autoplay=1

Potential magnumania usernames: April Ann, Corky Bostwick, Dorsey Bramlett, The Dipper

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS:
Magnum: See, Dorsey, I got this friend. Actually, he's not a friend. He runs the estate where I live. You could call him a friend. Anyway, you sound a lot like I do when I want something from him.

Flub:

In the first shot we see the guys, they are in the sun in the stadium.

In the very next shot, they are in the shade.

Flub:
Higgins says that they were celebrating the Queen’s birthday in 49 in Kwangju, however, since George VI was King until 1952….there was no queen who’s birthday was to be celebrated.
IslandHopper wrote:In one of the early scenes at the pool party, Dorsey is making out in plain view with the wife of the character played by Pat Morita. C'mon.
This was very odd, I agree. I think it’s possible there might have been a little more to it that got left on the cutting room floor? There are two very brief shots where it’s clear that the Sandal King sees Dorsey and his wife in the hammock together. They separate them with Delbert and his wife talking to the coach, but when you paste them together, it’s clear it was one shot.
J.J. Walters wrote:2) The football game at the end is the "Honolulu 5th Annual Pro-College Bowl". A Pro-College bowl?? Interesting.
Actually, it was an annual thing for a long time: https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/12/09/colle ... joe-greene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_C ... -Star_Game
Shermy wrote:It's a filler episode for me, but there's still some fun to be had. I really love the scene where Higgins realizes he misses Magnum's presence at the estate. It's also interesting that dog repellent was introduced here, yet Higgins is stunned to discover that Magnum has a can later on in Season 3 (The Arrow That Is Not Aimed).
And Higgins apparently fails to notice later in the very same episode when TM unpacks the can and puts it right back on his dresser.
Croix de Lorraine wrote:2) When Higgins delivers Magnum's mail in the locker room, how does he know Magnum is there? He never told him anything about his case...
Great observation!!
ENSHealy wrote:Flub? The first play that TM goes in at practice, the coach calls the play and tells Tom to throw it to the flanker, or wide receiver, but then they run the play and he throws it to TC, who was playing tight end.
And not only that, the coach calls for him to throw it to the flanker in the flat, and TM throws it to TC down the seam!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote:Flub:
Higgins says that they were celebrating the Queen’s birthday in 49 in Kwangju, however, since George VI was King until 1952….there was no queen who’s birthday was to be celebrated.
Sure there was. George VI's wife, Queen Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon, later known as the Queen Mother, whose portrait hangs in Higgins' study. She may not have been the sovereign queen, as her daughter Elizabeth would become, but she was the queen.
Shermy wrote:It's a filler episode for me, but there's still some fun to be had. I really love the scene where Higgins realizes he misses Magnum's presence at the estate. It's also interesting that dog repellent was introduced here, yet Higgins is stunned to discover that Magnum has a can later on in Season 3 (The Arrow That Is Not Aimed).
And Higgins apparently fails to notice later in the very same episode when TM unpacks the can and puts it right back on his dresser.
In "Arrow," Higgins tells Magnum, "I thought you'd gotten rid of this substance. You gave me your word." Magnum reples, "I did?... I did! Well, how do you know the stuff is mine?" They must have had a conversation about it after the events of "One More Summer."
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

pot79
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#82 Post by pot79 »

" Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum gunshot wounds:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations:
Higgins Organizations:
OMGs:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 5 "

:D :D

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by terryfromkerry »

I saw this episode again this week on Hallmark. A weaker episode without a doubt but peppered with some classic MPI moments. A bizarre moment of poor writing struck me. It concerns Magnum's reaction to gunfire. Magnum ,Dorsey and Lou Anne are together when a gunshot hits Lou Anne. Magnum immediately jumps up into a standing position to spot the shooter. All 6 foot 4 inches in plain sight. :roll: Completely unMagnumlike :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Gorilla Mask »

I really have to take upon myself to finish that episode since it mainly lacks of substance.

The plot is not so bad, but the chaining of the sequences is just so slow. Concerning acting, there is no character which stirs the interest. The guest actors sounds like a bit faked and not very motivated. I aml still wondering the link between the young fan who tried to kill (who was the target ? Was it magnum or his friend he was charged to protect ?) and Mrs Greeley.. maybe there was none... :roll:

Whatever... :cry:

... I agree that the best moment might be Higgins with his calm and serenity recovered after Magnum departure. :higgins: Very nice global wide shot indeed !
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by eagle »

For those interested in reading Jerry's story, the link he posted no longer works, but the page is still found in the Internet Archive.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:08 am 2.17 ONE MORE SUMMER
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum gunshot wounds:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations:
Higgins Organizations:
OMGs:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 5

Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/373731245?autoplay=1
Magnumometer Update after the 40th Anniversary viewing. I wonder if I didn't count two "little voices" the first time around because it was Higgins who makes the second reference?

And really, isn't this the episode Mark Tuinei should have been in?

EPISODE: 2.17 One More Summer

Famous guest stars:
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum: 1
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Negotiations:
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Body Count (by Magnum):
Little Voice: 2
When I write HTBAWCPI:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 6
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/373731245
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#87 Post by Aloha Friday »

I used to hate this episode, but watching it again recently after many years of skipping over it, I appreciate it a little more...to me it is a middle of the pack episode. Not the best and not the worst. The storyline is like many of the Magnum plots...this was a kind of take off of North Dallas Forty and similar pro-football themed movies of the era. Had all of the classic characters like the bible thumping quarterback and the horny owner's wife. The shooter followed a bit of Mark David Chapman so believably scary at the time. Autograph seeker and turns up being infatuated killer...even looked like him to some degree (sorry Jerry). Decent plot all together.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

jfkennedy54
Ensign

#88 Post by jfkennedy54 »

Watching this again on GetTV reminded me how some of the cheesiest episodes are so classic 80's that they are enjoyable.
Don't look at the Dogs, work the lock....You looked at the Dogs!