2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 97

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Double Jeopardy (2.19)

#61 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ENSHealy wrote:TS and Larry Pennell in Midway.

Hi Ensign Healy,
I saw Midway in the cinema and several times since but I never realized Mister Selleck was in it. Does he have a speaking role? I can't recall
him ever mentioning it. For that matter, has there ever been a first rate wide ranging interview with TM(like Playboy used to do) that goes beyond
3 or 4 queries about his latest project? I can't ever recall seeing any. Is Selleck one of those stars like Harrison Ford who value their privacy, so
we might as well forget any autobiography coming out soon? That would be a shame.
By the way Midway is one of the greatest battles in history, arguably in the top ten, though most people have never heard of it. It destroyed forever
Japan's ability to project power strategically and afterwards it was a matter of time till the Allies won, though at a steep price in blood. If you like History,
catch this movie.

"Some people like to travel. But for me a Fall afternoon in Manhattan in my favorite bar is better than Miami Beach
in cleavage season"....Mike Hammer(Stacy Keach) in Seven Dead Eyes

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by ENSHealy »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Does he have a speaking role? I can't recall him ever mentioning it. For that matter, has there ever been a first rate wide ranging interview with TM(like Playboy used to do) that goes beyond 3 or 4 queries about his latest project? I can't ever recall seeing any. Is Selleck one of those stars like Harrison Ford who value their privacy, so we might as well forget any autobiography coming out soon? That would be a shame.
He has two lines. The first is something like "get the captain on the phone" and the second is "wow, they really creamed us" or something close to those words. Those two lines got his name into the opening credits though.

It looks like Tom Selleck was Playboy's interviewee for December 1983, but I don't see a full copy of it online. But it looks like you can buy a copy here: https://www.tias.com/vintage-playboy-de ... 75039.html Is it worth $13.50 plus shipping and handling?

Also TS was recently on the cover of Closer Weekly, and the article said he was going to do an autobiography. Let's hope that's true!
https://www.closerweekly.com/posts/tom- ... phy-157933
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ENSHealy wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Does he have a speaking role? I can't recall him ever mentioning it. For that matter, has there ever been a first rate wide ranging interview with TM(like Playboy used to do) that goes beyond 3 or 4 queries about his latest project? I can't ever recall seeing any. Is Selleck one of those stars like Harrison Ford who value their privacy, so we might as well forget any autobiography coming out soon? That would be a shame.
He has two lines. The first is something like "get the captain on the phone" and the second is "wow, they really creamed us" or something close to those words. Those two lines got his name into the opening credits though.
It looks like Tom Selleck was Playboy's interviewee for December 1983, but I don't see a full copy of it online. But it looks like you can buy a copy here: https://www.tias.com/vintage-playboy-de ... 75039.html Is it worth $13.50 plus shipping and handling?
Also TS was recently on the cover of Closer Weekly, and the article said he was going to do an autobiography. Let's hope that's true!
Hi Ensign Healy,
Thank you for all the information, it is much appreciated.

The Big Lebowski:
The Stranger - "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you".

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#64 Post by J.J. Walters »

ENSHealy wrote:

Damn, I wish I had held on to my old Playboys. It's crazy what they are going for these days! More valuable than LP's! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

karolis
Admiral

Re: Re:

#65 Post by karolis »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
Mark R.Y. wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:Another one from Giuseppe...

A boom mic is visible:

This is interesting. Is this screen grab from a televised version? The mic-in-shot is nowhere to be found during this scene on the DVD. Was it digitally erased?
It's on the DVDs, when Higgins says Jack "appears to be improving", but only briefly. The boom operator probably realized their mistake and withdrew it from the shot. :lol:
On BluRay disk - it's almost invisible, only tiny tiny corner of boom mic is visible, obviously somebody tried to remove it/crop it:

Here's my Season Two's Top up to this episode:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. Italian Ice
5. Try to Remember
6. The Woman on the Beach
7. The Jororo Kill
8. Computer Date
9. Dead Man’s Channel
10. Wave Goodbye
11. Texas Lightning
12. Ghost Writer
13. The Sixth Position
14. From Moscow to Maui
15. One More Summer
16. Double Jeopardy
17. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
18. Billy Joe Bob
19. Mad Buck Gibson

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#66 Post by K Hale »

grundle wrote:Dana Wynter (the actress in this episode of Magnum) played a KAOS agent who had married a doezen CONTROL agents, bought life insurance policies for them with KAOS as the beneficiary, and then killed them.
She and John Hillerman were also in an episode of the short-lived program "Tenspeed and Brown Shoe," starring a young Jeff Goldblum. They played his parents. This came out in 1980 and I believe it was the last thing Hillerman did before Magnum.

I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#67 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:
grundle wrote:Dana Wynter (the actress in this episode of Magnum) played a KAOS agent who had married a doezen CONTROL agents, bought life insurance policies for them with KAOS as the beneficiary, and then killed them.
She and John Hillerman were also in an episode of the short-lived program "Tenspeed and Brown Shoe," starring a young Jeff Goldblum. They played his parents. This came out in 1980 and I believe it was the last thing Hillerman did before Magnum.

Very good show with excellent writing. I have the DVD of the only season. I break it every out once in a while and still enjoy it.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:

Very good show with excellent writing. I have the DVD of the only season. I break it every out once in a while and still enjoy it.
I have it too, it’s the only way you can get this episode. It is a good show! Kind of too bad it was canceled.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#69 Post by Pahonu »

Agreed! :D

bjs
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#70 Post by bjs »

1. How did Tanaka know he would need to be in Martin's hospital room carrying a tape recorder set to record a confession?
2. How did Tanaka get into that room before Ross, or without Ross knowing about it?

Deus ex machina ending.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by ENSHealy »

2.19 DOUBLE JEOPARDY
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1 but on Tanaka
Island Hopper shirts: 3

Magnum Body Count:
Magnum bullet wounds:
Shirtless:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings:
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars:
Higgins Organizations:
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Magnumometer: 5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/682499475

Potential magnumania usernames: Olivia Ross, Jack Martin

Has the deerstalker hat hanging by the door of the guest house been there before?

Ms. Ross must have been pretty sure she was a good shot, and that the bullets wouldn’t go all the way through Jack, because there’s a lot of folks right behind him.

The trade of Kemp for Lemon occurred IRL on November 27, 1981.

It's never been clear to me why finding the prop gun exonerates Olivia? A whole film crew saw her go to her trailer to fix her body mic, then come back and hand Jack the gun for the scene. In my mind, finding the prop gun in the trailer incriminates her as much as anything.
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Gorilla Mask »

I gave a very good mark (8.5) for this one. The main plot is a good idea, whereas a bit predictable. Dana Wynter is fairly convincing in his double-crossing role, especially when she tried the senstive chord with TM who, younger, admired her as an actress.

I was wondering too if the real set apparatus/filming crew was partly used for the episode background ? I guess it seems probable.

The final untying is good too, while some may object that TM had, again, a real gift to make certitude from mere intuition, and barely (at most) time/opportunity to warn/alert Tanaka early enough.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Gorilla Mask wrote:I gave a very good mark (8.5) for this one. The main plot is a good idea, whereas a bit predictable. Dana Wynter is fairly convincing in his double-crossing role, especially when she tried the senstive chord with TM who, younger, admired her as an actress.
I was wondering too if the real set apparatus/filming crew was partly used for the episode background ? I guess it seems probable.
The final untying is good too, while some may object that TM had, again, a real gift to make certitude from mere intuition, and barely (at most) time/opportunity to warn/alert Tanaka early enough.
Hi Gorilla Mask,
I don't know about this specific episode, but it is a given that in Hollywood productions it is the film crew in these scenes. You don't have to pay for extras that
way. Plus, generally speaking not just the on air cast but everybody involved form tight relationships just like in any work place, so it's nice to see "all the guys"
photographed for both the story line and a "yearbook" as it were.
On the last episode of Perry Mason, the murder occurred during the filming of a TV show. It gave the chance for just about everybody to appear on camera.
Not just the tech crew but playing the judge, Erle Stanley Gardner himself. It's one of the best handled farewell shows ever done, in my opinion.
Dick Clark is the killer, but keep it under your hat.
A lot of the times when you see kids(in a one off part) on TV shows they are the star's kids - Dick Van Dyke Show - or the producer's etc.
Garry Marshall had two of his kids appear with Fonzie when he was doing a magic act. John Wayne's daughter is the kid on the donkey at the end of The Alamo.
In Big Jake, Wayne goes after his kidnapped grandson, played by his own actual young son, I think the kid had 2 lines.
Probably most famously, at the end of a Van Johnson/Judy Garland movie, Judy is holding a baby and it's her own newborn, Liza Minnelli.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by K Hale »

What you said about farewell shows makes me wonder about Resolutions part 2. I wonder if the people at Rick’s wedding were extras, or the dressed-up film crew…
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:What you said about farewell shows makes me wonder about Resolutions part 2. I wonder if the people at Rick’s wedding were extras, or the dressed-up film crew…
KHale,
I'd bet you are right. The seats were probably full of the crew and writers and the star's family members for the send off.
Hill Street Blues always had a huge number of "extras" in the beginning of each episode's "Roll Call" scene, no way a production is going to lay out all that
loot for that many people every week.
According to a guy who used to post at a Hill Street Blues site and was a NBC electrician, the 30 and more "cops" at roll call were - besides a few regular extras -
a different rotation each week of NBC execs, writers. girl friends/boyfriends of the production people, somebody's visiting uncle who was visiting the set, etc.
I remember he said once in a great while you'd see an extra, obviously not dressed right for the police station and looking more like some one going to a ball game,
get a throw away line that had nothing to do with anything, usually in one of the scenes in the hectic station house.
That was almost always one of the writers, he said they looked like writers, whatever that means.
You'd probably find a lot of info on the Magnum wrap up in the local papers of the time of it's filming. Besides the studio putting out PR, the papers would have
covered it because it would have held a lot of interest for the locals, as Magnum must have generated many millions for their community over the years and
the production company/CBS would want to keep up warm relations with them for then and in the future.
At the Route 66 fan site OHIO66 the author mainly used local papers to dredge up all sorts of gold on the series, from interviews with the stars to
detailed info on the episode then being filmed on location.(All Route 66 episodes were filmed on the road across the USA plus Canada)
Off the top of my head, Tom Selleck's 2 wives and his Dad appeared on Magnum, were there any other Sellecks? I can't recall which episode Pops Selleck
was in, maybe someone can please tell me?