3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 93

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Three Minus Two (2.22)

#61 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote:Sounds great, Panohu, to sleep under the stars in L.A. 8) Here in Dordogne the climate could be quite changing. At the present time we have a succession of squalls and sunny wheater. The temperetarute is around 55-60 Fahrenheit. Not much for the season...

Even duting summertime if you want to sleep outside you will probalby need a little wool... Temperature could span from 100 daytime to 50 at night...

Moreover, i wish to add a little piece of advice:
karolis wrote: Image

P.S.: Note the whte russian Lada car on top of the others. Similar Lada is used in the Reboot trailer. I wonder how this Lada got there? Any insight? Was it sold in Hawaii at that time?
It is probably not a Lada but a Fiat since the Lada 1500 or 1600 were licensed built copy of the italian model.

https://ibb.co/mRBjbfh

Fiat 124; 124 S and 124 ST were produced until 1975-1976 which is quite relevant here. Lada 1600 (the last one with that platform) was produced until... 2004 !
Interesting information on the FIAT. Did you ever see the British Top Gear Episode on communist made cars? They discuss all the “improvements” made to the Lada compared to the original. It’s hilarious.

I just checked the weather report here on the coast in Long Beach CA. High of 73 F, low of 63 today. It’s quite a mild and consistent climate. With the weather systems coming largely off the Pacific it’s also highly predictable. As you move inland a wider temperature range is typical, generally hotter temperatures in the summer. Winters are still quite mild inland until the high altitudes in the nearby mountains.

I’ve not personally done it before, but my roommate in college did the well known ski and surf on the same day adventure that is very possible here in SoCal. He did it on our winter break one year. He had an early morning session at Trestles in San Clemente and drove up to ski in Big Bear with his girlfriend that day. That seems like it could be possible in the right location in France, no?

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Gorilla Mask »

I did not see that broadcast here, but, concerning USSR Five-years-plan marvelous achievements, i could just image ! :lol:

Concerning weather, Dordogne is about 180 km inland. That is not so much, but we experienced in the last years wider and wider range of T°... The wheater pattern is quite semi-continental now... Could it be the the first aftermaths of the Global warming ? Can't be affirmative of course, but that evolution In the last ten years is deemly perceptible (mild winters , warmer summer and more storms).

Yes in France you could (barely) have swimming and skiing in the same 24H of time... Of course, if you have courage to endure expensive highways and traffic jams... especially during summer holidays ! This experience (on summer) could have been feasible only in Région (province) Alpes-Provence-Côtes D'Azur, except that ther is not really surfing spots there !!.. In Pyrénées-Atlantiques, it would be only possible in early winter to end of spring since there is only enough snowfalls at that time (skiing at Super-Baréges, then surfin' at Biarritz !). 8)
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#63 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote:I did not see that broadcast here, but, concerning USSR Five-years-plan marvelous achievements, i could just image ! :lol:

Concerning weather, Dordogne is about 180 km inland. That is not so much, but we experienced in the last years wider and wider range of T°... The wheater pattern is quite semi-continental now... Could it be the the first aftermaths of the Global warming ? Can't be affirmative of course, but that evolution In the last ten years is deemly perceptible (mild winters , warmer summer and more storms).

Yes in France you could (barely) have swimming and skiing in the same 24H of time... Of course, if you have courage to endure expensive highways and traffic jams... especially during summer holidays ! This experience (on summer) could have been feasible only in Région (province) Alpes-Provence-Côtes D'Azur, except that ther is not really surfing spots there !!.. In Pyrénées-Atlantiques, it would be only possible in early winter to end of spring since there is only enough snowfalls at that time (skiing at Super-Baréges, then surfin' at Biarritz !). 8)

Here’s a link to that Top Gear episode:

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/top- ... /82858514/

Enjoy!

I’ve seen in the news that some of the recent summers in Europe have had record heat. :(

Here in SoCal the climate changes dramatically just a few miles inland from the coast. Inland the very hot summers sound like your area and the winters can get near freezing but not during the daylight hours. The coastal strip is entirely different. That’s because the water here isn’t particularly warm as the current comes south from Alaska! Most people are surprised by the cool water temperature. Even in summer it sometimes doesn’t reach 70 F. It drops into the 50s during winter. The upside to this is that if you live close enough to the coast, within a mile or so, the mass of water effects the air temperature keeping it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. That’s why we see such little variation in temperature most days. Today shows a high of 71 and low of 62, just 9 degrees change. That’s very typical. Just 2-3 miles inland and that coastal effect disappears.

Edit:
I found this article online, and it seems their are only a few places in the world where the so-called California Double of surfing and skiing on the same day is realistically possible. France is indeed one of them. :D

https://www.booksurfcamps.com/news/surf ... i-same-day

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Thanks Pahonu for these great links ! :D

France is entangled between two anticyclones (North africa and Western Russia) and two major athmospheric depressions (Atlantic western approaches and North Sea). The trouble is that with, the Gulf Stream weakening, these spheres of influence are changing fast with the years... :(

On the worst effect is the oceanic leverage on atmosphere which is fainting inland much more earlier...

But i am off-topic here... :oops:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by eagle »

I have just gotten to this episode in my current run through the series, and the snorkel scene has to be one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. "Higgins, if you never play games, how do you ever have any fun?" Higgins's grin as he hands Magnum the phone is just awesome.