4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 105

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Billy Joe Bob (2.1)

#61 Post by ENSHealy »

Milo Minderbinder wrote:I also thought the "he" referred to her brother and not the cop when I watched it.
The subtitles have her saying "they told me about you" which makes a lot more sense. She does mumble, and it sounds more like "he" then they, but I think it actually was they, since that's the only thing that makes sense (they being the two cops).
zebra3 wrote:I really had to cringe when I saw the bar scene. Billy Joe unable to control himself to an embarrassing degree, and Magnum's terrible accent.
This is probably my number one (possibly only?) pet peeve with the series: clients that completely ignore everything Thomas says. I know it's to add drama/conflict/humor, but it usually goes beyond plausibility. I know, how can I use the phrase "beyond plausibility" with a straight face while discussing a TV show....but still!
Hawaii Winds wrote:Nice catching the flub!, I saw another in this episode, at the very beginning where Billy Joe is walking to the KKC, he looks inside TM Ferrari parked at the front entrance, after the punch in the jaw scene, TM Ferrari is now at the opposite end of the entrance...how did it move?
Not only did it move, it changed direction. When first seen, it's pointed toward the entrance, the second time it is seen, it's pointing away from the entrance. The only possibility that popped into my head was that Magnum had asked Keoki or Harlan to wash it for him and they were moving it closer to the hose Keoki was using when we first see him. Keoki could have moved the car while Harlan went to tell Rick about getting popped in the jaw. There's a lot of "ifs" in that, I know....
MaximRecoil wrote:Hollywood nearly always ignores this inconvenient fact.
But think of all the re-writing that would have to take place if people couldn't be knocked out by one karate chop to the back of the neck or one solid punch to the jaw! They'd have to hire double the number of writers!
karolis wrote:Here's the cat ;) at 30:14 ;)
One more cat and they'd have had an Abbey Road shot!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by ENSHealy »

2.1 BILLY JOE BOB
Hawaiian shirts: 2
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum gunshot wounds:
Shirtless: 2
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections: 1
Higgins musings:
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations: 1 – distributing manure in exchange for Higgins keeping Billy Joe in the guest house all day.
Higgins Organizations:
Famous guest stars: .5 James Whitmore Jr.
Magnumometer: 6.5

Potential magnumania usernames: Carole Anne Little, Pickles

Not much to be said that hasn't already been thoroughly dissected in this thread. One thing though: how did Billy Joe bypass the alarm on the Ferrari when he started it??? Surely he doesn't know Robin's private phone number....

I love the gleeful tone in T.C.'s voice as he says "or any part thereof!"
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#63 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Coops wrote:I've been in Texas my entire life. I've been from El Paso to Orange. From the valley to Lubbock. From Big Bend to the Red River. And I've yet to see any part of Texas that looks like the background in the photo of Carol Ann when she was a cheerleader. However, there IS a Shamrock, Texas and it's claim to fame is the U-Drop Inn, as seen in the movie Cars. It's located up in the arid panhandle and in no way could be confused as, oh say, Oahu.
Hi Coops,
I think you should cut the Magnum producers a little slack on this one. It's not a documentary, it's entertainment. If you were producing this episode you wouldn't
send a crew to Texas at God knows what cost just so the audience can experience the real Shamrock, Texas.
At the beginning of each season for Mike Hammer(with Stacy Keach) they would film establishing shots around NYC, and some key scenes for episodes such as
one set at the Statue of Liberty. The rest was shot in LA. Just by happenstance I was in the city(1983?) and looked up and saw 'Mike Hammer' on a window and was
taken aback...they were filming the pilot there.
In some McCloud episodes you could see palm trees in the background. If you ever have taken the Universal Studios Tour in LA, ever after you will be struck by
how many movies/TV series set elsewhere were/are filmed there. The "NY Street" set was used over and over again for Hammer and countless productions.
Back to the Future was filmed there, especially the iconic courthouse which I remember seeing in Don Knotts movies as well. Jimmy Stewart's home in Harvey
pops up in untold numbers of ADAM-12 and Dragnet episodes. I especially enjoyed seeing Beaver Cleaver's house.
It's Hollywood, enjoy the illusion.
If any of you Magnum Maniacs are holidaying in LA, catch the Universal Tour, it's a lot of fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A man alone just feeds himself. Two men together, dine."
...Have Gun Will Travel
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sat May 25, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nifty911
Captain

Re: Re:

#64 Post by Nifty911 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Coops wrote:I've been in Texas my entire life. I've been from El Paso to Orange. From the valley to Lubbock. From Big Bend to the Red River. And I've yet to see any part of Texas that looks like the background in the photo of Carol Ann when she was a cheerleader. However, there IS a Shamrock, Texas and it's claim to fame is the U-Drop Inn, as seen in the movie Cars. It's located up in the arid panhandle and in no way could be confused as, oh say, Oahu.
Hi Coops,
I think you should cut the Magnum producers a little slack on this one. It's not a documentary, it's entertainment. If you were producing this episode you wouldn't
send a crew to Texas at God knows what cost just so the audience can experience the real Shamrock, Texas.
At the beginning of each season for Mike Hammer(with Stacy Keach) they would film establishing shots around NYC, and some key scenes for episodes such as
one set at the Statue of Liberty. The rest was shot in LA. Just by happenstance I was in the city(1983?) and looked up and saw 'Mike Hammer' on a window and was
In some McCloud episodes you could see palm trees in the background. If you ever have taken the Universal Studios Tour in LA, ever after you will be struck at
how many movies/TV series set elsewhere were/are filmed there. The "NY Street" set was used over and over again for Hammer and countless productions.
Back to the Future was filmed there, especially the iconic courthouse which I remember seeing in Don Knotts movies as well. Jimmy Stewart's home in Harvey
pops up in untold numbers of ADAM-12 and Dragnet episodes. I especially enjoyed seeing Beaver Cleaver's house.
If any of you Magnum Maniacs are holidaying in LA, catch the Universal Tour, it's a lot of fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...Have Gun Will Travel

Mayberry RFD= the town outside of Stalag 13, but also appeared in Star Trek, Mission Impossible.....

The 40 acres studio lot is no more. If you saw some of the original Star Trek, you can see mayberry courthouse LOL

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#65 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Nifty911 wrote:
Hi Coops,
In some McCloud episodes you could see palm trees in the background. If you ever have taken the Universal Studios Tour in LA, ever after you will be struck at
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
...Have Gun Will Travel

Mayberry RFD= the town outside of Stalag 13, but also appeared in Star Trek, Mission Impossible.....
The 40 acres studio lot is no more. If you saw some of the original Star Trek, you can see Mayberry courthouse LOL
Hi Nifty,
I didn't know Mayberry filled in for the town outside Stalag 13, cool. I can just see Barney Fife in his motorcycle and sidecar pulling over Klink's
staff car for speeding. Mayberry is also the dystopian slum the Green Hornet drives out into when he and Kato exit thru the secret back entrance to his
home. I have never seen that noted anywhere except for me. Maybe someone else caught it, but when looking up info on the series I have never seen it mentioned.
They are filming a new Twilight Zone series, wouldn't it make a great episode to have Barney Fife arresting Colonel Klink, Spock and Kirk, the Green Hornet
and Kato, plus a vacationing Higgins and tossing them all into a cell with Otis Campbell? Just casting for those parts would be a blast.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"As my sainted mother used to say, 'one trick at a time'."
...Trampas
The Virginian (1929)

rgholmes
Lieutenant Commander

#66 Post by rgholmes »

While watching yesterday on Hallmark, the work “hooker” was removed when Magnum was explaining to T.C. why he needed him to distract Billy Joe.

I thought this was interesting.
"Because it's HOW you make the transitions that's as important as making them."
-T.S. Magnum IV, "Transitions"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

rgholmes wrote:While watching yesterday on Hallmark, the work “hooker” was removed when Magnum was explaining to T.C. why he needed him to distract Billy Joe.
rgholmes,
Hallmark is notorious for being over zealous in deleting "blue" or not even blue dialog. As if nothing can be said that might offend a 5 year old.
Well I don't want to watch a show geared to appeal to the mind of a 5 year old, or that has been gutted so as not to expose a 5 year old to adult themes.
I shave and date women and can have a sleep over if I want and don't care to be held hostage to the standards of a Nanny State at Hallmark.
Hallmark almost neutered Cheers when they ran it and generally made terrible decisions on what to excise to make room for commercials.
For example they routinely cut out all the Norm/Cliff patter in favor of a Shelly Long bit of business, which is not what the fans tuned in for,
she had definitely gone past her sell by date by season 4. The audio would go silent when the word "damn" was uttered, but if you had your
CC on you could still read it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G.B. Shaw -
"Never wrestle with a pig.You both get dirty and the pig likes it."

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#68 Post by 80s Big Hair »

rgholmes wrote:While watching yesterday on Hallmark, the work “hooker” was removed when Magnum was explaining to T.C. why he needed him to distract Billy Joe.

That is baffling. My head hurts trying to figure out the thought process that went into making that decision. Oh, thanks for the explanation Luther's nephew Dobie.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#69 Post by Pahonu »

rgholmes,
Hallmark is notorious for being over zealous in deleting "blue" or not even blue dialog. As if nothing can be said that might offend a 5 year old.
Well I don't want to watch a show geared to appeal to the mind of a 5 year old, or that has been gutted so as not to expose a 5 year old to adult themes.
I shave and date women and can have a sleep over if I want and don't care to be held hostage to the standards of a Nanny State at Hallmark.
Hallmark almost neutered Cheers when they ran it and generally made terrible decisions on what to excise to make room for commercials.
For example they routinely cut out all the Norm/Cliff patter in favor of a Shelly Long bit of business, which is not what the fans tuned in for,
she had definitely gone past her sell by date by season 4. The audio would go silent when the word "damn" was uttered, but if you had your
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G.B. Shaw -
I am definitely not supportive of censoring or editing any creative work, but I don’t think “nanny state” is the appropriate term for the decisions that Hallmark Channel makes. I don’t care for the cuts they’ve made but it was not done because of any law imposed by the government, i.e. nanny state. It’s a business decision by a company based on their audience, pure and simple. I also don’t like how many films are slightly sped up when shown on television to squeeze in more advertising time, or the cropping of films to fit TV’s aspect ratio, or colorization of black and white films. I could go on, but again, these are business decisions made to appeal to the masses and make more money. I don’t agree with it but it’s not because of the nanny state and none of us are hostage to it. We’re free to turn it off. If no one watched it they couldn’t sell ads. I never watch colorized films as a personal choice.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#70 Post by 80s Big Hair »

It would be kind of funny (and sad) if they edited out, "Oh my God!" because it is blasphemous. Has anyone seen how they handled Ivan's taunts to T.C. in "Did You See the Sun Rise?" I never noticed this about Hallmark before, but then again I tend to be working when it is on so I am not paying close attention unless I know an awesome scene is coming up.

Pahonu

#71 Post by Pahonu »

80s Big Hair wrote:It would be kind of funny (and sad) if they edited out, "Oh my God!" because it is blasphemous. Has anyone seen how they handled Ivan's taunts to T.C. in "Did You See the Sun Rise?" I never noticed this about Hallmark before, but then again I tend to be working when it is on so I am not paying close attention unless I know an awesome scene is coming up.
I’ve only watched a few episodes on Hallmark so can’t say much as to specific words and phrases. I watched most of those episodes when they first started showing them and realized quickly that they took out more content than typical stations. I don’t recall which episode it was, but I was waiting for a funny exchange between Magnum and Higgins and it was entirely gone.

Think about the audience Hallmark is targeting with its programming. It’s very possible they might edit that out. I’ve no idea, but the very term “Hallmark Movie” is now used to signify wholesomeness and family-friendly. That’s their market.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#72 Post by 80s Big Hair »

As long as we are way off topic, I will add this: Wikipedia in their Hallmark Channel content and standards section mentions both the word hooker and the word God that was in my above hypothetical. They originally did censor God as blasphemy but were criticized because people were outraged as they took it for a hatred of God so they reversed course. So "Oh my God!" survives on Magnum, P.I.

As a general rule when you hear about people being outraged about what is on a show the word "people" usually means five people complained. Someone above pointed out that it is their channel and their decision, despite how you might think they are butchering the show (which they apparently are doing). So it is what it is.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote:
rgholmes,
G.B. Shaw -
I am definitely not supportive of censoring or editing any creative work, but I don’t think “nanny state” is the appropriate term for the decisions that Hallmark Channel makes. I don’t care for the cuts they’ve made but it was not done because of any law imposed by the government, i.e. nanny state. It’s a business decision by a company based on their audience, pure and simple. I also don’t like how many films are slightly sped up when shown on television to squeeze in more advertising time, or the cropping of films to fit TV’s aspect ratio, or colorization of black and white films. I could go on, but again, these are business decisions made to appeal to the masses and make more money. I don’t agree with it but it’s not because of the nanny state and none of us are hostage to it. We’re free to turn it off. If no one watched it they couldn’t sell ads. I never watch colorized films as a personal choice.
Hi Pahonu,
Perhaps I should have chosen my words better but I in no way meant to imply ANY governmental link, that would be foolish of me to think some agency would be
interested in Hallmark's practices.
I am talking about a state of mind, as if we need a bunch of would be cliche, blue haired old spinster nanny types of whatever sex censoring perfectly acceptable
30 year old reruns of Magnum!
These types have been with us forever, wanting to put pants on nude statues or enacting Prohibition 100 years ago so you or me or Magnum can't even enjoy
a bottle of Old Dusseldorf beer after work.
God help us if Hallmark reruns The Flintstones and they spot the nude paintings of women on the walls of Barney's mansion in the episode Rip Van Flintstone.
They'll put Barney and Fred in the stocks on the Village Green, then hunt down the now 90 year old artists who drew that episode and make them write
"I won't sneak naughty pictures into cartoons" 100 times on a chalkboard.
Is there anyone on these boards who feel they need Hallmark clowns to censor Magnum content for them because they are too immature or intellectually
challenged to handle it themselves? I don't think so, not even Braddah Kimo, under whatever name he is lurking here now.

Pahonu

#74 Post by Pahonu »

Pahonu wrote:
rgholmes,
G.B. Shaw -
Hi Pahonu,
Perhaps I should have chosen my words better but I in no way meant to imply ANY governmental link, that would be foolish of me to think some agency would be
interested in Hallmark's practices.
I am talking about a state of mind, as if we need a bunch of would be cliche, blue haired old spinster nanny types of whatever sex censoring perfectly acceptable
30 year old reruns of Magnum!
These types have been with us forever, wanting to put pants on nude statues or enacting Prohibition 100 years ago so you or me or Magnum can't even enjoy
a bottle of Old Dusseldorf beer after work.
God help us if Hallmark reruns The Flintstones and they spot the nude paintings of women on the walls of Barney's mansion in the episode Rip Van Flintstone.
They'll put Barney and Fred in the stocks on the Village Green, then hunt down the now 90 year old artists who drew that episode and make them write
"I won't sneak naughty pictures into cartoons" 100 times on a chalkboard.
Is there anyone on these boards who feel they need Hallmark clowns to censor Magnum content for them because they are too immature or intellectually
challenged to handle it themselves? I don't think so, not even Braddah Kimo, under whatever name he is lurking here now.
Hey Dobie,

I hear you! The editing and/or censoring of creative works is a topic important to me. Good clarification.

I’m going to check out that Flintstones episode, thanks!

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Well, back on topic,

i would say that this episode sounds like out of phase for me:

quite a bad pace, predictible end, not a great play and... remind me why the mogul attemps to kill the girl/sister ? ... And that cowboy who steal T.C. Helicopter ? Again sounds like not credible to me...

By the way, that is the first time (at my knowledge) that TM was about to accept a bribe from a scoundrel... Well, really off, from my point of view...
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."