4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 105

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: Billy Joe Bob (2.1)

#76 Post by charybdis1966 »

As my season 2 DVD just arrived today I got stuck in and this episode is OK, with the Magnum and Higgins moments helping to elevate this episode’s entertainment value.
Had to point out that James Whitmore Jr guest-starred on an episode of classic Battlestar Galactica (The Long Patrol, as “Robber”) with Nancy DeCarl (as “Slayer”), Larry Manetti’s wife. As you probably know Larry was Lt. Giles in that series too.
Apologies if this has been pointed out already.

Spagnum
Lieutenant

Re:

#77 Post by Spagnum »

Dervish wrote: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:26 pm I was surprised to see Ito play kendo early in the episode. It's not the most high profile martial art. I wonder if Seth Sakai was a kendo practitioner, or if a stunt double was performing? The latter may be plausible, since Ito's back is to the camera during the action segment of the scene, IIRC.
Not in America, but in Japan, kendō is probably the most widely practiced, along with jūdō, martial art. All kids learn it in middle school PE class, and there are after school kendō clubs. Quite popular among the girls, maybe even moreso than the boys.

I just read Seth Sakai's obituary (he died in 2007). It says he did practice kendō, and was a 3rd degree black belt, so that most likely was him in action.

Spagnum
Lieutenant

#78 Post by Spagnum »

Watched this one today, and when I saw the James Whitmore, Jr. credit in the opening, thought back to when I met his dad (who was actually Jr., and Jr. was actually III.) His dad was doing his Will Rogers USA stage show at Ford's Theatre, and apparently he and my grandfather knew each other in the Marines, and he came over to the house a few times when my dad was a kid. So we went backstage after the show to meet him. I believe it was early 80's, pretty close to when this episode was filmed/aired.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Spagnum wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:56 am Watched this one today, and when I saw the James Whitmore, Jr. credit in the opening, thought back to when I met his dad (who was actually Jr., and Jr. was actually III.) His dad was doing his Will Rogers USA stage show at Ford's Theatre, and apparently he and my grandfather knew each other in the Marines, and he came over to the house a few times when my dad was a kid. So we went backstage after the show to meet him. I believe it was early 80's, pretty close to when this episode was filmed/aired.
James Whitmore was a great actor. Most modern audiences probably best remember him as the old prisoner Brooks in THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. But I always think of him as a great character actor who guested in some of the best shows of the 1960s. BONANZA and THE BIG VALLEY are 2 that immediately come to mind. In the latter he actually appeared a total of 4 times! 2 of those guest performances in particular I consider Emmy-worthy.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:28 pm
Spagnum wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:56 am Watched this one today, and when I saw the James Whitmore, Jr. credit in the opening, thought back to when I met his dad (who was actually Jr., and Jr. was actually III.) His dad was doing his Will Rogers USA stage show at Ford's Theatre, and apparently he and my grandfather knew each other in the Marines, and he came over to the house a few times when my dad was a kid. So we went backstage after the show to meet him. I believe it was early 80's, pretty close to when this episode was filmed/aired.
James Whitmore was a great actor. Most modern audiences probably best remember him as the old prisoner Brooks in THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. But I always think of him as a great character actor who guested in some of the best shows of the 1960s. BONANZA and THE BIG VALLEY are 2 that immediately come to mind. In the latter he actually appeared a total of 4 times! 2 of those guest performances in particular I consider Emmy-worthy.
Yes, those Bonanza and The Big Valley acting turns were great, and the regulars in both casts raised their game as well in response. Thanks for bringing them up, Ivan.
Spagnum, I saw Whitmore in "Firefox" co-starring his ex wife Audra Lindley at the State Theater in New Brunswick, he was riveting. I am so jealous you got to see him at Ford's, I always wanted to
see a performance there as I have an avid interest in the Civil War. I was there on April 14, 1975, it was doubly eerie peeking into the Lincoln Box as the place was deserted and it was 110 years
to the day that Lincoln was shot there. As I was born on Abe's birthday, I was loathe to turn around lest I spied Rod Serling standing there, which I remarked to my twin at the time
but she just called me an idiot. The Twilight Zone with Russell "Gilligans Island" Johnson going back in time to Ford's Theatre on April 14, 1865 was really well done.

Spagnum
Lieutenant

#81 Post by Spagnum »

OK, now I have got to watch that Twilight Zone episode!

Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:03 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:28 pm
Yes, those Bonanza and The Big Valley acting turns were great, and the regulars in both casts raised their game as well in response. Thanks for bringing them up, Ivan.
Spagnum, I saw Whitmore in "Firefox" co-starring his ex wife Audra Lindley at the State Theater in New Brunswick, he was riveting. I am so jealous you got to see him at Ford's, I always wanted to
see a performance there as I have an avid interest in the Civil War. I was there on April 14, 1975, it was doubly eerie peeking into the Lincoln Box as the place was deserted and it was 110 years
to the day that Lincoln was shot there. As I was born on Abe's birthday, I was loathe to turn around lest I spied Rod Serling standing there, which I remarked to my twin at the time
but she just called me an idiot. The Twilight Zone with Russell "Gilligans Island" Johnson going back in time to Ford's Theatre on April 14, 1865 was really well done.
Check out the BONANZA episode "To Die in Darkness" (it's one of the best!) and the 3 BIG VALLEY episodes "The Death Merchant", "Target", and "Night in a Small Town". Whitmore excels as the baddie in all of them! The last one is my personal favorite BIG VALLEY episode and Whitmore is the reason.

Spagnum
Lieutenant

#83 Post by Spagnum »

I watched the Twilight Zone episode. Pretty cool seeing the Professor pre-Gilligan's Island. It's been a long time since I've watched a Twilight Zone. Man, those must have been awesome to watch back in the day!

And ok Ivan, I've never really been much of a western watcher, but I will try to watch the Bonanza and Big Valley episodes!

Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Spagnum wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:39 pm I watched the Twilight Zone episode. Pretty cool seeing the Professor pre-Gilligan's Island. It's been a long time since I've watched a Twilight Zone. Man, those must have been awesome to watch back in the day!

And ok Ivan, I've never really been much of a western watcher, but I will try to watch the Bonanza and Big Valley episodes!
If you love Whitmore you won't be disappointed with those. No matter the genre. There's a 4th BIG VALLEY episode that I failed to mention - "Shadow of a Giant". Whitmore plays the "giant", basically a legendary lawman. I haven't seen that one in ages. But the 3 BV episodes that I mentioned are more fresh in my memory and the more memorable ones (especially "Night in a Small Town").

Anyway you can find all these BONANZA and BV episodes on YouTube.