2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 114

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Dead Man's Channel (2.2)

#76 Post by K Hale »

KingKC wrote:The most memorable part of this episode for me was simply the GOAT! The cursed channel and native's objections did add a little more Hawaii to the series. Remember that this was the second show of the second season. It was also the second one with curses in it. Every episode was watched with great anticipation back in the fall of 1981 (or at least they were by me!). Even if it wasn't great it was still good because we didn't have a lot to compare to yet! The show was still establishing its "motif" if you will. This was a little more serious than Billy Joe Bob but not quite as much fun. It was just good investigation with a little twist.

KingKC
The goat / kudu buck thing was one of the classic B-plots of the entire series, if you ask me. Magnum was still ragging Higgins about kudu bucks years later. "This isn't something stupid, is it? Like the trisected paolo worm or the kudu buck?" (Luther Gillis File #001)
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

To the best of my knowledge, the boat found at the beginning was Marion's father's, with Rick finding Prof. Martinez's later. I will say, the episode doesn't fully explain how Marion's father was killed, as he was initially said to have disappeared, and his body was never found. Did Martinez just kill him first and push him into the water (far away from the tablet)? It's possible Keone helped her, especially since she left Prof. Hammond's boat for the coast guard to find.

With Rick's activities, I just presume the guys were friends of Icepick who needed a secret place to gamble :P

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by ENSHealy »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Operation Chessboard wrote:Watched this one again and noticed a flub. When TM dives in the channel for the first time searching for treasure, he's wearing his team ring on his left ring finger. However, when he reaches the surface after finding the artifact, the team ring is now on his right ring finger. The underwater scenes and the 'kudubuck' are the highlights of this episode for me. James, I'm a little suprised you dislike this episode so much. IMHO, this one is brilliant compared to some of the stuff in seasons 5 and 6.
Hey, nice flub spot OC!

I'm kind of surprised I don't like this one more myself, as it has several good things going for it - the Kudu Buck scene, Marion, Ina Balin, scuba diving. I don't know. I probably like it better than I think I do!
I have to quibble with this flub. I've looked hard and I can't find it. I took a bunch of screen shots, with the clock showing so you know exactly where they are in the episode. They all look like the right hand to me.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by ENSHealy »

2.2 DEAD MANS CHANNEL
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum gunshot wounds:
Shirtless: 2
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations: 1 goat can stay for 24 hours if Magnum shares the treasure with Higgins….for the British Museum.
Higgins Organizations:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 5

Potential magnumania usernames: Kudu Buck (taken!), Horace the Goat

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS

Higgins: Please Magnum, hear me out. Ever since I came back from the kennels, I’ve been disturbed by some most peculiar sounds. I can’t seem to locate the source. It’s very puzzling.
Magnum: Sounds?
Higgins: Emanating from the grounds, I’m positive. Yet, it just isn’t possible.
Magnum: Why not?
Higgins: Because I know what’s making the sounds. It’s an animal.
Magnum: Really?
Higgins: Yes. I last heard those sounds on the Zambezi in the African plain. It’s the unmistakable cry of the kudu buck calling to its doe. [bleats] There it is again. You did hear it, didn’t you?
Magnum: Hear what?

The chart that Magnum finds is labeled "Southeast Coast of Oahu from Waimanalo Bay to Diamond Dead" and actually has markings off Rabbit Island where we later see them diving in the episode, but it appears they took the time to "fictionalize" the map. Very odd.

OBVIOUS STUNT MEN (AND WOMAN)

THE ROPE TO NOWHERE
Where exactly is that line tied off?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Very refreshing episode with a nice looking Wendy Girard (a really nice smile). Yes the plot is quite light, yes the finale is mundane. However the diving scenes are well filmed for a weekly TV show.

EnShealy, i went to the same conclusion than you, concerning the diving filming location. The map TM found on the student's desk points the channel between Rabbit Island and Kaupo Cove (Pukakukui Channel ?). The real Nihoa island is located really far away, to the West of the archipelago (near the French Frigate Shoals, indeed).

The strength of that episode is his scuba scenes music scores.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#81 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote:2.2 DEAD MANS CHANNEL

THE ROPE TO NOWHERE
Where exactly is that line tied off?
Speaking of dock lines. I watched this episode again and noticed two times when the King Kam is untied, only a bow line is untied. To keep a boat on a side tie as shown takes four lines: a bow, a stern, and 2 spring lines. If the other lines had been untied before the scene, it would almost certainly have drifted off at the stern.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by charybdis1966 »

As my journey through the season 2 DVD progresses I watched this today and found it a bit “meh”.
I’m not that keen on underwater diving sequences and I thought the plot was a bit weak in that the motivations of the protagonists were a bit vague and unclear.
Ms Girard was a pleasant, non-annoying female guest star who hasn’t lied to TM - a rarity it seems.
The inter racial friction hinted at by the Hawaiian tribals dislike of howleys trespassing was an interesting sub plot though.
As usual TM has bested Higgins in this episodes interactions and Rick with his white socks on the boat made me think of Brits on holiday. A knotted hanky on his head would have been perfect! :D