1%

Total votes: 127

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Woman on the Beach (2.3)

#76 Post by T.Q. »

I like this episode.

The boys laughing at Rick at the beginning... Poor Rick. :lol:

Do we consider Thomas’ last scene a Fourth Wall break?

Hard to tell.

ENSHealy says no.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by ENSHealy »

T.Q. wrote:I like this episode.

Hard to tell.

ENSHealy says no.
No, he looks at the spot where he saw the apparition, he looks back over to the club patio, then he looks back at the spot again and shakes his head. He's looking at the spot where the woman on the beach was, not the camera. If he'd shifted his eyes just a hair right before he shook his head, I would have called it a 4th wall break. It's damn close though.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by T.Q. »

ENSHealy wrote:
T.Q. wrote:I like this episode.

Hard to tell.

ENSHealy says no.
No, he looks at the spot where he saw the apparition, he looks back over to the club patio, then he looks back at the spot again and shakes his head. He's looking at the spot where the woman on the beach was, not the camera. If he'd shifted his eyes just a hair right before he shook his head, I would have called it a 4th wall break. It's damn close though.
I love that one though.

Might still use it...

If anyone complains they can call my legal team. :P

Thx for the reply.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#79 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I am convinced Ellison was probably the evilest bad guy on the show, he had a painting of the woman he murdered hanging in his office!! Also of note the story went Sarah committed suicide I assume that was the Romeo Juliet connection star crossed lovers and such. I wonder if there was a significance in the Tybalt figurine TM picked up in Higgins study. :higgins: I love the supernatural episodes it seems Magnum really had a "sixth sense" and his little voice was actually a lot more than just good intuition.
That reminds me of the time....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by K Hale »

☨magnum.t wrote:I am convinced Ellison was probably the evilest bad guy on the show, he had a painting of the woman he murdered hanging in his office!! Also of note the story went Sarah committed suicide I assume that was the Romeo Juliet connection star crossed lovers and such. I wonder if there was a significance in the Tybalt figurine TM picked up in Higgins study. :higgins: I love the supernatural episodes it seems Magnum really had a "sixth sense" and his little voice was actually a lot more than just good intuition.
Wait a minute, you actually know what those figurines were? Tell us more! I’ve never known what they are. Romeo and Juliet characters?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#81 Post by ☨magnum.t »

K Hale wrote:
☨magnum.t wrote:I am convinced Ellison was probably the evilest bad guy on the show, he had a painting of the woman he murdered hanging in his office!! Also of note the story went Sarah committed suicide I assume that was the Romeo Juliet connection star crossed lovers and such. I wonder if there was a significance in the Tybalt figurine TM picked up in Higgins study. :higgins: I love the supernatural episodes it seems Magnum really had a "sixth sense" and his little voice was actually a lot more than just good intuition.
Wait a minute, you actually know what those figurines were? Tell us more! I’ve never known what they are. Romeo and Juliet characters?
From what I gathered it was a miniature set for the Romeo and Juliet play Higgins was supposed to put on, when Magnum picks it up it zooms in on the base plate and you can see it was the character Tybalt. Then of course the play turned into "grass skirts and lavalavas" haha and Higgins wanted nothing to do with it.
That reminds me of the time....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by K Hale »

☨magnum.t wrote:
K Hale wrote:
From what I gathered it was a miniature set for the Romeo and Juliet play Higgins was supposed to put on, when Magnum picks it up it zooms in on the base plate and you can see it was the character Tybalt.
Wow, I just checked the scene and you are right. I can't believe I didn't remember that. They make it super obvious too; when Magnum picks it up, the figurine fills the entire screen! The part of that scene I always remember is when Higgins yanks the figurine away from Magnum, the base comes off and remains in Magnum's hands. There's a brief look of surprise on Higgins/Hillerman's face like "oops, we broke it." Selleck then sheepishly hands the base to Hillerman, who yanks that away too. I love these little unplanned things that they just go right ahead with!

One thing I do remember is that the cat Magnum saves in "Photo Play," for which he wins the Cat Lover of the Month award, is also named Tybalt...
Then of course the play turned into "grass skirts and lavalavas" haha and Higgins wanted nothing to do with it.
Well, Lydia Shaftesbury is a vulgarian Visigoth!!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ensignwickes
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#83 Post by ensignwickes »

Came down stairs this morning to find my nearly 8 year old son watching this episode. He also asked that I recommend another to watch after. I feel like I've done something right...

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Gorilla Mask »

One of my best MPI memories when i was a youngster !

The scenario is really good, full of mystery and thrilling drama.

The repeat of the greenhouse scene, 35 years later is a real sucess.

When i was 10, i was really amazed by the 'disappearance' effect on the beach.

Was it really a ghost ? :)
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

emenius
Commander

#85 Post by emenius »

I liked this episode. I always liked the episodes where Magnum and co. dabble in the supernatural. Plus I got a surprise in seeing Jack Hogan, I also love the show Combat!