6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 129

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Another double review Friday. And what a line-up – earlier Part II of ‘Memories Are Forever’, and now the great ‘Tropical Madness’, one of my favourite second season episodes.

[TV.com rating=9.5; Character development]

Magnum is sure that something is afoot when a pretty English woman brushes him off and instead goes for Higgins. Things get even worse when Magnum is attacked by a sumo wrestler and a dwarf and no-one believes him. A great comedy episode…

-----

After the serious proceedings of the feature-length / two-part ‘Memories Are Forever’, the light-hearted, comedy-based ‘Tropical Madness’ comes as the perfect antidote.

Things start off with a typical, stereotypical shot of ‘Leeds’ in England. Except Leeds in reality is a sprawling, bustling city, not the little village nestled in the hills that they’d like you to believe here.
In fact, the whole episode is a bit of a stereotype (yes, I’m a Brit); the pretty Jenny (Devon Ericson) is an archetypal posh, well-mannered English girl, of which you see plenty of in American series but are unlikely to meet in real life.

On the face of it, Magnum is a bit arrogant that he expects every woman to fall for him – and how dare one of them go for Higgins instead! But it is written for the purpose of the story, so is excusable I suppose.

This episode features the first two mentions of Magnum, in his narration, mentioning about the “book (or manual) on how to be a world-class Private Investigator” he’ll one day wright; this will become a recurring point in his narrations.

With Magnum on to Jenny and trying to work out what she’s up to, I was a little confused by the forced kiss. What was this trying to accomplish? Surely not one last attempt to make her fall for him? Either way, it leads to a very notable occurrence – Higgins punches Magnum. There are plenty of times in the series that they could quite easily whack each other, but this is the only occasion on which they actually come to blows.

The episode does very well considering its very minimal cast. Similar to ‘Dead Man’s Channel’ a few episodes previously, such a good story is woven that you barely realise that the cast is so small.

This episode is mostly played for laughs. I love Magnum arriving back at Robin’s Nest in just his underwear, having to use his jeans to wipe the oil off of the windshield (don’t ask me why!) after being beaten up by the sumo and the dwarf. The exchanges between himself and Higgins are terrific.
And then there is Higgins preparing for his date with Jenny as the peak of the story approaches. I won’t try and put it into words, but you have to see it; laugh out loud moment.

When I first got into the series, I only initially had a couple of episodes recorded, and of the few that I had, this was the one that I watched the most; it’s a really good one. (Of course, nowadays I have about four recordings of most episodes. Geek alert!)

All-in-all, a very pleasing story, and one of the best of the season.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* On the DVD version of this episode, there are no gaps between the acts where the commercial breaks would have been; the story plays right through.

* As mentioned in my review, this is the first time (actually, two times) that Magnum mentions the book on how to become a world-class Private Investigator that plans to one day write.

* This is the first of Higgins’ many “Oh… my… GOD”s in the series; this time as T.C. arrives at the house when he’s expecting Jenny.

* When Harcourt, the sumo and the dwarf let themselves into the house, look at the background behind them – there are a couple of real plants, but the main backdrop is clearly painted!

* I’ve mentioned on previous reviews about Channel 5 sometimes editing the “bloody”s, and this is one case when they did.

The first edit comes as Magnum arrives back in his underwear.
Higgins: “Magnum, you are clad only in your undershorts.
---begin edit---
“…Even for you I find that just a trifle casual.”
Magnum: “Of course I am. Of course. What do you think I used to wipe of the bloody windscreen – the windSHEILD – so I could drive the ruddy car?!”
---end edit as Jenny’s car honks as it approaches---

The second one comes at the end of the episode. I think Agatha here on the forum likes the final line so would be annoyed by this edit!
Magnum: “You know Higgins, that was a bit of alright”.
---begin edit---
Higgins: “Don’t hand me that retched understatement. I was bloody marvellous”.
---end edit--- Magnum turns to smirk at Higgins for a comment he apparently didn’t even make!

Yes, they were very contradictory in that some days they would leave the “bloody”s in, and on other times take them out. I wonder if on this occasion if it was partly due to the episode airing during the school summer holidays, when more children would be watching?

Oh, and as to the debate as to WHY the sumo and the dwarf were after Magnum, well I thought it was to try and get him out of the way, or to add to the feud between Magnum and Higgins that something was going on. Maybe a little of both. Hey, it doesn’t really matter in such a great episode! :)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

wilko
Captain

#22 Post by wilko »

I only noticed this flub last night......

When Magnum is helping Higgins get dressed for the Commodore's Ball, Higgins remarks that he will be home late and will try not to "downshift and accelerate" as he passes the guest house and wake him up so as to make a point to Magnum about how he is always woken up when Magnum comes in late at night. In doing this he unwittingly confirms that the guest house is not located where it is implied to be (behind and adjacent to the main house) but is in fact near the bend in the driveway between the gate house and the tennis courts.

Why would Higgins need to downshift and accelerate behind the main house in what would be a very confined space?

Nifty
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#23 Post by Nifty »

I watched this today and caught the "ruddy" car comment.

Does anyone know how the helocopter shows up on the grounds at the end? Kinda weird how it got there since they already had TC's van there - and he was in it.....or at least I think he was.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#24 Post by N1095A »

It was teleported there using the same device used by TM to get from one side of the estate to the other. :lol:

Seroiusly, this is one of those flub-not a flub debates.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

wilko
Captain

#25 Post by wilko »

I happened to be watching this episode early one morning on TCM and noticed this............

Robin's Nest supposedly has a high tech security system that can detect an intruder on the beach yet Magnum swims across the tidal pool and moves up to the gate and then picks the lock to gain entry to the grounds and no alarm goes off?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by charybdis1966 »

I thought this was one of the better comedic episodes and the interplay between the main characters was top notch. As Jay-Firestorm has pointed out the shot of “Leeds” is misleading as it is a pretty grim, industrial and run down place on the whole however I assume the establishing shot was trying to show a village on its outskirts, maybe towards Skipton.
I detected a trace of Harrison Ford (when he wearily begins a fight with the German by the taxi-ing plane in Raiders of the lost Ark, the one who gets sliced up, rather like Ted Danson does in an earlier episode by a boat propeller in “Don’t say goodbye”) in how Tom Selleck plays the fight with the sumo wrestler at the petrol station.
That was a great scene as was the subsequent one where Magnum loses his cool so much with Higgins that he refers to a bloody “windscreen” rather than “windshield.”
Superb examples of the on screen chemistry the principal leads had.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#27 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

Higgins was pretty funny in this one. Rehearsing his lines and then blowing it when she comes in the house was priceless, as was Magnum getting flustered in his underwear in front of the girl and Higgins.

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#28 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

wilko wrote:I only noticed this flub last night......

When Magnum is helping Higgins get dressed for the Commodore's Ball, Higgins remarks that he will be home late and will try not to "downshift and accelerate" as he passes the guest house and wake him up so as to make a point to Magnum about how he is always woken up when Magnum comes in late at night. In doing this he unwittingly confirms that the guest house is not located where it is implied to be (behind and adjacent to the main house) but is in fact near the bend in the driveway between the gate house and the tennis courts.

Why would Higgins need to downshift and accelerate behind the main house in what would be a very confined space?
My take is that Higgins didn't really mean it literally, especially since he wouldn't be driving the Ferarri. He was just wanting to point out that he would be late and also wanted to take the opportunity to complain about Magnum making noise at night. JMO.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by No need to know! »

Runner up on my list of all the episodes of Season 2.
sumowrestler and a dwarf..
-What?
-A SUMOWRESTLER AND A DWARF!
:lol:
Onion´s extra?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by charybdis1966 »

No need to know! wrote:Runner up on my list of all the episodes of Season 2.
-What?
Yeah, priceless lines there, although I thought it was:

A sumo wrestler and a midget or a dwarf

A what?

A MIDGET OR A DWARF !

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by No need to know! »

charybdis1966 wrote:
No need to know! wrote:Runner up on my list of all the episodes of Season 2.
-What?
Yeah, priceless lines there, although I thought it was:

A sumo wrestler and a midget or a dwarf

A what?

A MIDGET OR A DWARF !
:D Yeah you got me there. Priceless scene anyway.
Onion´s extra?

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by zebra3 »

I forget if it was this episode or on of the ones immediately afterward, but it had a VERY full aerial shot of the club, which lets you feel like you really know the layout more. I googled, but I couldn't find a snapshot. I'll go through the episode tomorrow and see if I can find a time frame for when it happened.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Sam »

Hi Zebra3,

It's the Halekulani Hotel,here's a cap.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/1_13_i_full.jpg

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by steveadl »

Watched this episode again last night. Has to be one of the funniest episodes of the series. Magnum in his underwear and the dirty Ferrari, Higgins blowing his greeting line when he opens the door, too many more to mention. Had quite the good laugh watching it!

One thing that did bug me though and wondering if anyone else noticed it. When TM confronts the girl while she's skeet shooting, they talk and it gets heated then he grabs her and kisses her against her will. To me this seemed too contrived and almost un-TM like. Perhaps they just included it because they wanted something to push Higgins over the edge and throw TM off the estate? But anyway, I didn't like it - made Tom look like a bit of a jerk for a minute and didn't seem in fitting with the episode or his character.

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by zebra3 »

Sam wrote:Hi Zebra3,

It's the Halekulani Hotel,here's a cap.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/1_13_i_full.jpg
Thanks for the cap, we don't see that kind of shot too many times I don't think. Gives you perspective.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."