6.0 (Pretty Bad) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 68
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:16 am 
Baron Of GIFs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:37 pm 
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rating: 7.

Average effort for me and it's only really memorable for the "snorkel girl" credit shot. The overall plot is fairly weak and I wasn't convinced by the outcome. Easy to see why it was held back until the end of the season for airing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:14 pm 
Fleet Admiral

8.0 [Pretty Good]

I was tempted to rate Three Minus Two a 10 [Perfect!] but that would only be for reasons of sentiment and nostalgia, as it's the first Magnum, P.I. episode I ever saw so that alone makes it special to me. I saw it first run in April 1982. I was in fifth grade and was introduced to the series by my best friend, who enthused about MPI and drew MPI comics but using the cartoony-looking characters I had created. I still have those comics. Hard to believe it's been thirty-three years already.

It's appropriate that Three Minus Two was my first episode since it is the one with so many iconic moments thanks to their appearance in the opening credits. This one also has elements of the show I loved then and now, which would be Thomas and Higgins haggling and negotiating over Estate privileges, like use of the super-expensisve camera and of course the Ferrari. Those examples of one-upmanship has always been among my favorite aspects of the show.

As for the episode itself, there's some nice scenery in terms of those oh-so-early-'80s runway models and I get a laugh out of the wind blowing through the King Kamehameha Club. It's not my favorite location for the club but I'll gladly take it over that sterile and lifeless indoor set they'd use in later seasons.

I liked the brief scene with Thomas and Rick at the club when Thomas info dumps some Rick Wright backstory. The stuff about Rick mustering out of the USMC and remaining in Hawaii touches on my interest of what The Big Four were up to in the '70s before we catch up with them in the '80s.

T.C. as pretentious and effete high-fashion photographer "Mr. Alex" was amusing. It reminds me of a performance that Greg Morris gave in the seventh-season Mission: Impossible episode Movie, where he goes undercover as an enfant terrible film auteur and whose speaking voice sounds like Morris was channeling Roscoe Lee Brown.

Jill St. John did not give one of her better performances here; she gave memorable and amusing performances alongside Frank Sinatra in Tony Rome and Sean Connery in Diamonds are Forever. In those films, St. John had wit, charm, and fine comedic timing. She fares poorly in her underwritten role. Her Jan Kona character is flat and lifeless; St. John is unconvincing in the episode's finale where she is supposed to be terrified by the gun-wielding Mrs. Russell (who pronounces "marksmanship" without the first S). St. John also does a forced laugh when Ox (Denny Miller; hilarious in a small role and always worth seeing) says his legendary "Take root and heist 'em!" line.

It seems like that the contents as well as the plastic bag itself placed under Lindsey's car would have been melted into unrecognizable slag had it been there before the car exploded so I'll guess that Mrs. Russell placed it there after the car was taken to the police impound yard, though that would also arouse suspicion had it been found, no matter the condition.

~Tom Selleck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:26 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Can never get enough of this one, just love it. Bathing beauties, Mr. Alex (lol lol lol), Ox (for the tenth time, the actor meaning lol ie Leon Platte etc) and a good mystery. Totally fun!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:35 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Classic Magnum. Saves damsel in distress. Borrows stuff from Robin Masters. Gets TC to help. Bickers with Higgins. For season finales this was pretty plain vanilla. But as it turned out MPI spent more effort on season openers. I liked Beauty Knows No Pain as a season finale much better.

KingKC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:05 pm 
Fleet Admiral

I love this episode so much! Seeing the scene where Magnum fake drop the camera and Higgins face (which is in the preview of every episode) just cracks me up every time lol. Love the appearance of Jill St. John, the bathing beauties, and of course Mr. Alex! His photo shoot with Rick is one of my fav Rick moments ever!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:14 pm 
Baron Of GIFs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:02 pm 
Fleet Admiral

marlboro wrote:

Ahhh, thank you Marlboro Man I love that scene so much!