No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 153

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (1) (1.1)

#121 Post by ENSHealy »

It says in the Episode Guide for 1.1 that "The ring is not an official military decoration or emblem, and is not used in any capacity in the U.S. Navy SEALs or U.S. Marine Corp."

I wonder though, if in the "Magnuverse" it is "official", as it is painted on the side of the chopper:

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#122 Post by ENSHealy »

IslandHopper wrote:
Carol the Dabbler wrote:Minor quibble with the Plot Outline: I believe that Magnum does say he's picking up his buddy at "the airport," but as we see soon after, he's not talking about Honolulu International. He drives through the security gate into either Hickam AFB or the Navy's adjoining facility (which "Ski" refers to as "Pearl"), then takes interior driveways into the other facility. Sorry I'm not certain which way it went -- but in either case, it would be safe to say something along the lines of "he goes to pick up a buddy who's due in on a military flight."
Magnum does indicate that he’s picking up a buddy from a military flight. He says something like he is picking up a buddy coming in on a “MACs” flight. MAC is an acronym for “Military Airlift Command.”
Carol the Dabbler wrote:
Thanks, IH -- I couldn't remember that acronym. I see that James has already changed the Plot Outline -- thanks, James!
When he's "stealing" the Ferrari, he says "I'd invite you girls to breakfast, but I gotta pick up a buddy flying in from Tokyo" so he's vague in that instance on exactly where he's picking him up. He makes the MACS reference ("max" in the subititles) to Ski at the Hickam gate, but later on the phone with the BOQ, before Ensign Healy comes on the line and tells him Dan is dead, he says "You're gonna wish you didn't stand me up at the airport, old buddy." So there is a direct quote from Thomas using the term "airport."
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#123 Post by Sam »

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#124 Post by ENSHealy »

J.J. Walters wrote:Nice work guys! I must say, it's been a very informative discussion. I learned quite a bit.

So then, no flub, but I've added a "Note" for this episode:

The chopper that T.C. flies in the Vietnam War flashback sequences is the OH-58 Kiowa.
In Did You See the Sunrise, we see Buck Greene in the same chopper as TC flew in the pilot flashbacks, followed shortly after by this dialogue:

Nuzo: T.C., did you see that slick?
TC: What slick?
Nuzo: lt came up the valley same time as you.
TC: They do it all the time. Army Cobras crossing Kolekole Pass to Wheeler. Same path the Japanese took in '41 when they bombed Pearl.
Nuzo: But it wasn't no Cobra. lt was a 58.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#125 Post by ENSHealy »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Souome1 wrote:James refers to the NIA as the "Naval Intelligence Agency" in the episode notes. I assumed that was correct based on its appearance elsewhere in the series. Are there two different agencies? Thanks.
Hi Souome1, welcome!

It looks like I flubbed this one, another in a long line of flubs for me. It is indeed the "Naval Investigative Agency", not "Naval Intelligence Agency". In "Memories Are Forever", we see the "Naval Intelligence Headquarters". Other times in the show you hear "Naval Intelligence" batted about. All of these appear to have tripped me up. I'll correct it in the episode guide. Thanks.
James, they use Naval Intelligence on the signs in Did You See The Sunrise also:
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by ENSHealy »

here's the sign from the pilot episode:
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#127 Post by ENSHealy »

IslandHopper wrote:The first shot of Inge and Greta in the script are in bed, (nude :shock:) not in their bikinis as in the pilot.
Actually, in the pilot as well, the twins are first scene "nude" in bed, not in their bikinis. The nudity is just made SFTV. Here is the shot:

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

f14peter
Lieutenant

#128 Post by f14peter »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
K Hale wrote:The only thing I have to add is that there really were a number of instances throughout the series where a close-up of someone's hands were clearly not the hands of the actor in question.
This was common procedure in TV shows back then - to save time and so that important main actors don't have to wait around for focus/lighting for a closeup shot that doesn't really require their acting skill.
Common in movies and TV since they started and to this day. Known as the "2nd Unit", it's an entire production crew of director, camera and audio personnel, make-up artists, continuity overseer along with stunt and body doubles. You can see them mentioned in the overall film credits.

They go out and shoot what doesn't require the primary actors' presence (in essence their recognizable face). Depending on the film, they could even be in another country getting the establishing and wide shots while the actors never go there but do their shooting on a set.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#129 Post by 308GUY »

Haven't read the entire thread, so not sure if it's been mentioned already or not, but.......

When TM leaves the terminal after missing Lt. Cook, you can see the reflection of a crew member (camera man/director/light guy?) in the passenger door of the Ferrari.

It's very brief and distorted, but it IS there, and I'm sure one of you "puter guru's" could probably grab the screen capture to show it...but I'm afraid it's outa my league! :magnum:

Oh yea....I finished 8.13 last week, and am starting over..............again! :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote:Oh yea....I finished 8.13 last week, and am starting over..............again! :geek:
So (approximately) how many times does that make now, 308GUY?! :shock:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#131 Post by 308GUY »

I stopped counting after about 6 or 7 soooo.............I really don't know at this point. :geek:

I do know that I used to sort of "dread" watching Resolutions 2....cause it meant there'd be "no more"....but now I sort of look forward to it, cause I know I'm going to start over when TS points that clicker and says "Good night"! :magnum:

Sometimes I see myself as one of those old fogies cloistered in an old house in a dark room..watching old black & white movies! :lol:

Only I'm watching THE ORIGINAL MAGNUM PI! :magnum:

Never gets old for me....

I used to be stuck in the 60's...at least I've now made it up to the 80's! :geek:
Short answer to your question RG....a lot...but not near enough :!:

rgholmes
Lieutenant Commander

#132 Post by rgholmes »

COZI TV showed part one of "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" today. I caught the last ten minutes. For the sake of completion (and because I hadn't seen it in a while), I watched it on demand this afternoon-after watching the end (and only the end) of "A Very Brady Sequel" to see John Hillerman in his last role.

After all the times I have watched it previously, I never noticed this uniform flub: CAPT Cooly is wearing his web belt with the gold clip coming from the right instead of the left (like ENS Healy). Also, the excess belt material makes the clip come halfway around the right side of his waist so it's obvious. Again, ENS Healy has his clip properly coming out the left side of the buckle and in contact with his buckle. (W.K. Stratton probably learned the proper wear of a web belt from "Black Sheep Squadron"!)

Another observation: CAPT Cooly mentions that Dan and Thomas had connections in getting their Navy Crosses approved. Magnum wears a Navy Cross ribbon later, but Dan's highest decoration is a Silver Star-no Navy Cross.

One more thing: I read in earlier posts on this thread that there were questions regarding CAPT Cooly serving in WW2. His campaign ribbons include: an American Defense Service Medal ribbon, an American Campaign Medal, a European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, and a Navy Occupation Service Medal-so he served before, during, and after WW2. His last two ribbons are Korean War related.

Strangely no National Defense Service or Vietnam Service ribbons!
"Because it's HOW you make the transitions that's as important as making them."
-T.S. Magnum IV, "Transitions"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by 308GUY »

As many times as I've watched DETSIH....never picked up on a "flub" that I noticed this time.

Also, have NOT read every post on every page here (1-9) and it may have been caught and pointed out by somebody before, BUT.....

In the scene where TM is waiting for Ensign Healey to come out the gate, he is driving the 308....when he takes, off a passenger side door mirror can clearly be seen on the Ferrari, but when he catches up to Healey down the road a ways....the car has no mirror on that side. Not really a "flub" per se, but just something I noticed, as a way of pointing out that they used several 308's during filming....as mentioned on the main page about the car....the one without the mirror, must have been one of the ones used for more "spirited" driving! As far as I can tell, it IS an actual 308 and not a "replica" which I've heard they also used at times, although I've never really been able to pick out a spot/scene where the car was NOT a 308, other than the explosion scene where Mac met his demise. That, was not a 308...or even a replica..as far as I can tell....and I read somewhere that it was a Camaro or similar body style...not hard to spot if you use the "pause" or stop action button on your machine.

Anyway...can you tell I'm stuck inside today? :magnum:

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

The car that has been used for the explosion, was a Fiat X1/9

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by 308GUY »

Bondtoys.de wrote:The car that has been used for the explosion, was a Fiat X1/9
Sounds right....and looks like it probably is. Will have to use the "stop" feature and pay closer attention next time the scene comes up in my viewing schedule! :geek:

Thanks guy.... :magnum: