No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 153

HonoluluLulu
Ensign

Re: Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (1) (1.1)

#151 Post by HonoluluLulu »

I always loved the original theme and opening sequence. There is something magical about it that sinks me into that lost time and place yet brings it alive again, hopelessly nostalgic, yet timeless. I am not sure how to explain it, but it makes those early episodes feel different.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#152 Post by Nikita70 »

It’s shoddy but that’s Mill Creek for ya. I’m just happy they included subtitles, something they did not do for the Blu-ray releases of Miami Vice and Rockford Files, if they had I would own those too.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#153 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:57 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:49 pm
Nikita70 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:49 pm Revisited this one last night. The Blu-ray looks great. As mentioned elsewhere, he is wearing the Chronosport without numbers on the dial. I wonder when they switched to the Chronosport with numbers, and why.
I also really wish Millcreek had kept the original opening credits with the original theme.
What do you mean about original theme? You're saying the Mill Creek Blu-Rays are using the Mike Post theme for the pilot episode? :? If so that's really shoddy. That's something you expect to see on TV in reruns, not on an official Blu-Ray release.
To add, the original jazzy theme wasn’t just from the pilot. A shortened version was used in the first eight or so episodes, following the revving Ferrari.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JumPsCbB7rQ

I always enjoyed the original theme in the pilot, particularly because the credits very creatively included the croix motif in the visuals.
Yep the original version by Ian Freebairn-Smith was used in the first 11 episodes, the last being "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club". Starting with "Thicker Than Blood" we got the new Post/Carpenter version.

I agree the croix motif looked really cool in the pilot intro.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#154 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:57 am
To add, the original jazzy theme wasn’t just from the pilot. A shortened version was used in the first eight or so episodes, following the revving Ferrari.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JumPsCbB7rQ

I always enjoyed the original theme in the pilot, particularly because the credits very creatively included the croix motif in the visuals.
Me too, I always thought the original Ian Freebairn-Smith theme was cool and funky. If it was up to me (which it clearly isn't) I would prefer they used that for the opening then the Mike Post theme for the end credits.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#155 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I recently acquired the UK Fabulous Films Blu-ray set of “Magnum”. Loving it so far! I do have one question (that I’m sure has been answered in years/posts past that I haven’t seen)…but, I know the Pilot originally aired as a 2hr pilot and/or TV movie, then was split into 2 parts later for syndicated reruns.

However, my question is…did the Pilot originally air with the title “Don’t Eat the Snow In Hawaii”, or was that the title created later for the edited, 2-part syndicated version (and the Pilot originally aired as just “Magnum p.i.”)? Miami Vice had the same thing a few years later…its Pilot originally aired as a TV movie called just “Miami Vice”…but several years later when it was split into 2 parts for syndication, they created the title “Brother’s Keeper” for it.

Now that title is acknowledged as the title for the Pilot, even with it being restored to its original 2hr format on some (but possibly not all) home video sets. Is it somewhat the same story for the Pilot of “Magnum”…or was the “Snow” title always used?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#156 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:33 am I recently acquired the UK Fabulous Films Blu-ray set of “Magnum”. Loving it so far! I do have one question (that I’m sure has been answered in years/posts past that I haven’t seen)…but, I know the Pilot originally aired as a 2hr pilot and/or TV movie, then was split into 2 parts later for syndicated reruns.

However, my question is…did the Pilot originally air with the title “Don’t Eat the Snow In Hawaii”, or was that the title created later for the edited, 2-part syndicated version (and the Pilot originally aired as just “Magnum p.i.”)? Miami Vice had the same thing a few years later…its Pilot originally aired as a TV movie called just “Miami Vice”…but several years later when it was split into 2 parts for syndication, they created the title “Brother’s Keeper” for it.

Now that title is acknowledged as the title for the Pilot, even with it being restored to its original 2hr format on some (but possibly not all) home video sets. Is it somewhat the same story for the Pilot of “Magnum”…or was the “Snow” title always used?
I don't know about the MPI pilot but I do know that the KNIGHT RIDER pilot (the 2-hour version) is basically just called KNIGHT RIDER. Actually it starts with the opening theme, which of course has KNIGHT RIDER in its title. Then when the show proper starts it immediately begins with the guest stars (Phyllis Davis, Pamela Susan Shoop, etc.). But in syndication the episode title "Knight of the Phoenix" appears on screen and then the guest stars. It's similar with the 2-hour AIRWOLF pilot. It begins with the theme song and then when the show proper starts you see the title "AIRWOLF" in huge letters displayed on the screen! In syndication you see the title "Shadow of the Hawke" on screen.

Actually in thinking about it I'm not even sure if during the original airing the theme songs were even featured. I feel like they were probably presented in a TV-movie format. No theme song, just start with the story right away. At least for AIRWOLF I feel that was probably the case, since the episode proper starts with "AIRWOLF" in big bold letters displayed on the screen!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#157 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:29 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:33 am I recently acquired the UK Fabulous Films Blu-ray set of “Magnum”. Loving it so far! I do have one question (that I’m sure has been answered in years/posts past that I haven’t seen)…but, I know the Pilot originally aired as a 2hr pilot and/or TV movie, then was split into 2 parts later for syndicated reruns.

I don't know about the MPI pilot but I do know that the KNIGHT RIDER pilot (the 2-hour version) is basically just called KNIGHT RIDER. Actually it starts with the opening theme, which of course has KNIGHT RIDER in its title. Then when the show proper starts it immediately begins with the guest stars (Phyllis Davis, Pamela Susan Shoop, etc.). But in syndication the episode title "Knight of the Phoenix" appears on screen and then the guest stars. It's similar with the 2-hour AIRWOLF pilot. It begins with the theme song and then when the show proper starts you see the title "AIRWOLF" in huge letters displayed on the screen! In syndication you see the title "Shadow of the Hawke" on screen.

Actually in thinking about it I'm not even sure if during the original airing the theme songs were even featured. I feel like they were probably presented in a TV-movie format. No theme song, just start with the story right away. At least for AIRWOLF I feel that was probably the case, since the episode proper starts with "AIRWOLF" in big bold letters displayed on the screen!
With Knight Rider, Miami Vice, and Magnum, the theme songs were used with the Pilots…but, you’re right about KR. The pilot for it too was later split into 2 parts & given a title it didn’t originally have. The special 40th anniversary Blu-ray set by the German company Turbine restores the entire series, including the Pilot, to original broadcast lengths and versions. It’s expensive, but awesome!

And with MV, the home video sets used syndicated versions. The pilot is restored to its original 2hr format (with most sets anyway)…which is nice. But, it’s the syndicated 2 parts spliced back together. But, there originally was no title. It was aired as a 2hr TV movie….but the theme was definitely present. I’m wondering if “Magnum”’s pilot had the title…but of course didn’t originally include a ‘part 2’?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#158 Post by Pahonu »

I can’t say for certain, but I believe it did have the title. I’m recalling the credits being cleverly integrated into the French croix motif as it moved around the screen with various clips underneath its black frame. The “Magnum p.i.” font was different than in later years. I watched the pilot originally but can’t remember that detail. I think the episode title was shown in one of the arms of the croix and then Selleck’s name. The series title was definitely superimposed over the croix with all the following credits inside the various arms. It was a very clever way to transition to him arriving at the airport. When they cut it into two parts, the title is over the beach as he is breaking in. I’ll see what I can dig up.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#159 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Pahonu wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:46 pm

I can’t say for certain, but I believe it did have the title. I’m recalling the credits being cleverly integrated into the French croix motif as it moved around the screen with various clips underneath its black frame. The “Magnum p.i.” font was different than in later years. I watched the pilot originally but can’t remember that detail. I think the episode title was shown in one of the arms of the croix and then Selleck’s name. The series title was definitely superimposed over the croix with all the following credits inside the various arms. It was a very clever way to transition to him arriving at the airport. When they cut it into two parts, the title is over the beach as he is breaking in. I’ll see what I can dig up.
The UK Fabulous Films Blu-ray set has the original version or broadcast length of the Pilot…and the episode title is included. So, I’m thinking it did have a title…the split syndicated/edited version is what created the part 2 that was not originally there. I watched “Magnum” growing up, but don’t remember seeing the pilot when it originally aired. I think “Magnum”’s pilot was a 2hr pilot (so it included an actual title). MV’s pilot was an actual TV movie, and originally didn’t have a title at the beginning. Later, when the title was created for it when it was split for syndication, the title is now accepted as the pilot…even when the pilot was put back in a 2hr format for home video.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#160 Post by Pahonu »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:45 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:46 pm

The UK Fabulous Films Blu-ray set has the original version or broadcast length of the Pilot…and the episode title is included. So, I’m thinking it did have a title…the split syndicated/edited version is what created the part 2 that was not originally there. I watched “Magnum” growing up, but don’t remember seeing the pilot when it originally aired. I think “Magnum”’s pilot was a 2hr pilot (so it included an actual title). MV’s pilot was an actual TV movie, and originally didn’t have a title at the beginning. Later, when the title was created for it when it was split for syndication, the title is now accepted as the pilot…even when the pilot was put back in a 2hr format for home video.
That makes sense. I found a video of the opening credits and the title is present, right before Selleck’s credit, in one of the croix arms. It seems unlikely they added it later as the sequence is pretty tightly edited. Here’s the clip:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bnHWdGP2ikQ