No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 121

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (2) (1.2)

#91 Post by ENSHealy »

I've heard that the company putting out the Blu-Rays doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to the video quality. Caveat Emptor.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by Chris109 »

ENSHealy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:00 am I've heard that the company putting out the Blu-Rays doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to the video quality. Caveat Emptor.
It's better than watching on Gettv. The quality there, SUCKS.

There. I said it.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#93 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I watched the Pilot again today probably the 8th or 9th time from start to finish, I noticed something today though I hadn't before. Magnum never wears a baseball cap he wears a navy dress uniform cap and a beret in the flashback scenes but never wears a baseball cap, and on top of that the hat rack isn't even on the wall of the guest house.
That reminds me of the time....

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#94 Post by Pahonu »

☨magnum.t wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:40 am I watched the Pilot again today probably the 8th or 9th time from start to finish, I noticed something today though I hadn't before. Magnum never wears a baseball cap he wears a navy dress uniform cap and a beret in the flashback scenes but never wears a baseball cap, and on top of that the hat rack isn't even on the wall of the guest house.
Yes, there’s some kind of fan shaped light in the space where we usually see the hat rack. There are some other things in the pilot like that that are different too. I’m trying to remember some more. I think over the guesthouse fireplace there’s not the usual painting but some kind of tribal mask or something. I think the kitchen didn’t have the alcove with the stove. Of course, Higgins den is entirely different and they show some other rooms inside the house they filmed in, never to be seen again. It was not Pahonu, but rather the Marks Estate. Only the exteriors were Pahonu because by then Mrs. Anderson no longer allowed filming inside after damage was done by the Hawaii Five-O crew. These are the differences between a pilot, where minimal sets are built and filming is mostly on location, and a series after it’s picked up, when investments are made in building sets, the sets we are all so familiar with.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#95 Post by Aloha Friday »

Just watched this one again today...the main house had a lot of green in it. Green door and walls in Higgins' office and green tile floor in the kitchen I think with lots of tropical leaf wall paper. I assumed maybe it was the Anderson estate. A great episode with a young Judge Reinhold as Seaman Wolfe...looks like Magnum PI was his third acting gig.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#96 Post by Pahonu »

Aloha Friday wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:44 am Just watched this one again today...the main house had a lot of green in it. Green door and walls in Higgins' office and green tile floor in the kitchen I think with lots of tropical leaf wall paper. I assumed maybe it was the Anderson estate. A great episode with a young Judge Reinhold as Seaman Wolfe...looks like Magnum PI was his third acting gig.
Nope, none of these interiors were at Pahonu. They were filmed at the Marks Estate, and they did seem to have a lot of green, as you state. In the pilot, the most obvious detail to me was the wallpaper in what looked like a billiard room that had giant palm fronds. It was seen in the opening scene when Higgins comes down the stairs as TM “steals” the Ferrari and again before they go to the kitchen. This room and the kitchen were never seen again. The same is true of Higgins’ den in the pilot. It was changed to a different room in China Doll, but still from the Marks Estate. They then recreated a similar space on the soundstage in subsequent episodes. The only interior in the pilot that seems to be a set was the guest house. This makes sense for a pilot as building lots of sets made no sense for a show that may not be picked up.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#97 Post by Aloha Friday »

Thanks. I like watching the show for details like that. My wife always asks me "Haven't you already seen this one?"
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Aloha Friday wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:39 pm Thanks. I like watching the show for details like that. My wife always asks me "Haven't you already seen this one?"
Wives just don't understand. :wink: :lol: