No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 121

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (2) (1.2)

#76 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, they really snuck one by the sensors there! It goes by super quick, but there is no doubt that it is there! Pretty ballsy for 1980! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by K Hale »

We never get to see how/when the main characters met. But I have a theory that this episode is where T.C. and Higgins met, specifically when Higgins takes the photo to the nightclub.

My reasoning is that after the shooting outside the nightclub, T.C. addresses Rick as "Orville." Higgins repeats, "Orville?" making it clear he did not know that was Rick's real name, but his incredulous tone also suggests that he knew Rick well enough to be surprised that it wasn't his real name, if that makes sense. However, since T.C. calls Rick "Orville" all the time, Higgins would have heard it by now if all three of them had been previously acquainted.

Thoughts?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by T.Q. »

Started watching from scratch.

Never really noticed before but Higgins' office is puny in the pilot.

Also noticed this:

Flub?

Anyways, always enjoy re-watching the pilot.

It's cool in HD.

:)
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by K Hale »

Also, Higgins is wearing a type of shirt he didn’t wear again until season 8.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#80 Post by brianw »

Great pilot ep. TM is shot for the first of many times. Bransombe Richmond makes the first of many appearances too, this guy has been in EVERYTHING.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by terryfromkerry »

Love the pilot. Magnum wears the navy mini anthuriam Paradise Found shirt in this but from what I remember never again.
https://www.alohashirtshop.com/products ... num-pi.php
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hi everyone !

Well, that introducing episode deserved not much than an 'decent' mark for me... Maybe this is due to a a shade disappointing pace and (sorry to admit it) plot.

When i first saw it in 1981 (with my little boy eyes), it sounds and looks like terrific. Well, nearly 40 years after, i found, from my point of view some flaws:

- First element of the plot a bit irrelevant: why Magnum murdered friend would have willfully swallowed that quantity of poison ? To infiltrate "La bulle" network ? How could you explain this ?
- Still the plot: a bath in the tidal pool :D , an introspective thought while swimming, a familiar feeling, an old hurting bad war wound an then... that is it ! Just rush to the airport for the last showdown with the villain, some more luck and good coincidence... Well, a very good action scene which would have deserved a better wrapped and linked script... But you will object it is the legendary Magnum "Gut feeling';
- an useless melodrama between Thomas and Alice at 18:00.
- The plot still at 28:00; the linkage between Coolie and La bulle is somewhat jerky; Coolie was is the same criminal interest than La bulle or was it because of his jealousy? So, Dan was making a survey about that claimed old jap plane wreck and an other gold transport cargo plane ?, La Bulle decided to kill both ? huuu... :?
- Definitively, the slow pace of the episode... of course that was intended for late 70's audience and that very subjective of me.

However, i spent a good moment with some 'top flight' dialogues and atmosphere between Magnum and Higgins , TC and Rick. 8)

At the end, a good episode with flaws, i thinks it was just a trial run for the entire show and that the scenarists were still seeking for good settings and balance.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#83 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Hello Magnum-maniacs

I have been catching some episodes of magnum on the charge! network and thought I would drop in to comment.

Best parts - judge Reinhold with a short scene, Rick with An Uzi,

Parts that did not age well - the lady drug dealer who was married at 12. Magnum walking into an airport with a gun (not unrealistic in 1979 I guess, but still shocking).

Question - did the weird square in the tidal pool make any more appearances?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#84 Post by Pahonu »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:11 am
Question - did the weird square in the tidal pool make any more appearances?
It’s still in the tidal pool, even now that the home has been torn down and replaced.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#85 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Thanks - I will keep an eye out for it on rewatch. I guess they filmed around it most of the time.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#86 Post by Pahonu »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:54 am Thanks - I will keep an eye out for it on rewatch. I guess they filmed around it most of the time.
Here’s some pics after the house was razed. The second one shows it clearly.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:54 am Thanks - I will keep an eye out for it on rewatch. I guess they filmed around it most of the time.
You can spot it many times on the show. In "Lest We Forget" Zeus and Apollo hop on this square to give Magnum his slippers. :D In "No Need to Know" Mandy the stewardess is sitting on this thing talking to Magnum.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#88 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Thanks Ivan - I will keep an eye out for it. Unfortunately charge tv moved magnum reruns to 10pm instead of lunch time. It is really throwing off my work from home routine.

Blackmamba
Lieutenant

#89 Post by Blackmamba »

I just started my third rewatch of the pilot episode, and it is a shock to see Higgins in his original form! What I find amazing is how much I’ve turned into a Magnum junkie in this day and age. I watched the original run for about 3 seasons, starting around the end of 3, to just after the beginning of 7. I hadn’t watched again until two years ago, and I was flipping channels in the wee hours of the night, when I heard the song Mama playing on MPI. I stopped, watched the episode and have been watching ever since.
I’ve tried watching other series from the 80’s and just can’t get into them. Magnum is truly a rare show and not only for the times.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#90 Post by Aloha Friday »

Dang it, now I'm gonna have to get the Blu-Ray set.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia